1.9TD Temptation 2 Xantia had it for a year today 31st Dec

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

ashy90

Re: 1.9TD Temptation 2 Xantia had it for a month now

Post by ashy90 »

Yes deffinately get the belt looked at. If in doubt, replace. If it fails it is going to cost a lot more money to sort out than a simple belt renewal.

CGATCX25GTITURBO

Post by CGATCX25GTITURBO »

I looked at the belts, they look fine, no cracking anything, they are like the rest of the car like new, none of the rubber or plastic on this car is brittle, hoses, returns cables, clips.

All these are very supple, the car cruised at 000 on the way home, and has had the nuts revved off it for the MOT, I'll let you tell me so when it goes bang :)

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

That is a sweet looking car, with an immaculate engine bay. It would be a shame if a belt were to fail and spoil it. Belt kits would not be expensive, whereas a motorway failure doesn't bear thinking about.

Just because a belt looks sound does not mean it is. Look what happened to Richard Hammond in that jet car. It was inspected before each run, and still the OSF tyre blew. It was believed that the tyre had blistered on the previous run, and this would only became visible when the tyre got hot. The next time it got hot was on the next run, and by the time it was known there was a problem it was too late.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 19 Feb 2013, 20:46, edited 1 time in total.

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Well I wouldn't be trusting that and for what it costs to do a belt chamnge its hardly worth the risk. It would be a shame if it went!

Out of interest, when do you plan on replacing the belts? As its well past recommended interval.

CGATCX25GTITURBO

Hell Razor5543 wrote:That is a sweet looking car, with an immaculate engine bay. It would be a shame if a belt were to fail and spoil it. Belt kits would not be expensive, whereas a motorway failure doesn't bear thinking about.

Just because a belt looks sound does not mean it is. Look what happened to Richard Hammond in that jet car. It was inspected before each run, and still the OSF tyre blew. It was believed that the tyre had blistered on the previous run, and this would only became visible when the tyre got hot. The next time it got hot was on the next run, and by the time it was known there was a problem it was too late.
if we worried about eveything that could go wrong we wouldn't do anything, as you say it was inspected and still blew, even new things break.

CGATCX25GTITURBO

Citroenmad wrote:Well I wouldn't be trusting that and for what it costs to do a belt chamnge its hardly worth the risk. It would be a shame if it went!

Out of interest, when do you plan on replacing the belts? As its well past recommended interval.
13 quid and a couple of hours, I can think of better things to do with my time and money

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

CGATCX25GTITURBO wrote:
Citroenmad wrote:Well I wouldn't be trusting that and for what it costs to do a belt chamnge its hardly worth the risk. It would be a shame if it went!

13 quid and a couple of hours, I can think of better things to do with my time and money
I'm going to take that as a joke and think you are doing the timing belt imminently :lol:

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

m

CGATCX25GTITURBO

Citroenmad wrote:
CGATCX25GTITURBO wrote:

I'm going to take that as a joke and think you are doing the timing belt imminently :lol:
No, I think I may use this to test the theory and dispell the myth about swapping 'aged' belts I'll do a monthly check and see if there is any change in the appearance of it, unless it fails first then I'll know I should have changed it. I changed my BX belts at 36 and 72k with no signs of failure, I bought the BX with 27k on it when it was 12 years old, the cam belt was changed over a year later.

bxzx16v

Post by bxzx16v »

Surely it can't be the original belt ! It should be in the bin if it is along with the aux belt too .

Mark

CGATCX25GTITURBO

it's signed by Andre on the belt

Citroening

Post by Citroening »

Teaching grandmother to suck eggs comes to mind - Neil can do what he wants regarding the belt as he's one of the most knowledgeable people within Citroen circles. See CGAT for evidence!

I know of a few instances of mega-low mileage cars being kept on the original belts and them being fine. Some of you may remember that 6800 Mile BX we had - a whip off of the two 8mm nuts of the belt cover revealed the condition appeared fine with no fraying, cracking or splitting. I understand that the inside cannot be seen however exterior condition is also important... It drove perfectly fine including going to the DSM and back - davetherave can certify that we weren't hanging about either. Drove like a new car... These time-warp cars really are amazing - looking at the pics Neil it reminds me of that BX condition-wise.

There was one chap I can remember (not on forums) that asked about the belt and physically recoiled and walked off straight after when I said it was on the original belt.

As mentioned it is obviously up to Neil what he wants to do. First thoughts are that the TD is quite a lazy engine in comparison to an engine like an Mi16 which are screamers - thus I would say that less stress would be put on the belt due to being an oil burner than a high revving petrol screamer.

CGATCX25GTITURBO

I've got a good one from the BX still that is newer, and it's only done 36k so it should be ok for another 10k, will that be safer?

ashy90

Post by ashy90 »

CGATCX25GTITURBO wrote:I've got a good one from the BX still that is newer, and it's only done 36k so it should be ok for another 10k, will that be safer?
Are you talking about fitting a used timing belt, or am I missing something? :shock:

CGATCX25GTITURBO

ashy90 wrote:
CGATCX25GTITURBO wrote:I've got a good one from the BX still that is newer, and it's only done 36k so it should be ok for another 10k, will that be safer?
Are you talking about fitting a used timing belt, or am I missing something? :shock:
I see it as tried and tested 'not used'