thinking of getting a C5 (what to look for)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wirdip
My Cars: Citroen C8 2.0 Ltr hdi exclusive auto 2004
Citroen Berlingo 2.0 Ltr hdi 2004
Peugeot 806 1.9 TD 1993

thinking of getting a C5 (what to look for)

Post by wirdip »

Hi folks, am presently running an 806 but dicky knee means I need an auto estate, like the look of C5. Will be under 2000 pounds so fairly old model, what are the main points to watch for when chosing.

Regards Alan
Lighty
My Cars:

Re: thinking of getting a C5 (what to look for)

Post by Lighty »

C5 Auto , where to start. if it was me, I would want to put Lexia on it before buying, to check the gearbox.Failing that, take it for a good drive if poss and test everything on the car to make sure it all works.
The 2.2 diesel will do about 35 mpg average, and also has a poor turning circle, so make sure you can live with these issues.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Although I would certainly put a Lexia on it if possible, no fault codes from the gearbox ECU doesn't give it a clean bill of health by any stretch, as only a gross fault like slipping clutches or no pressure is going to be reported by which time the gearbox is toast anyway.

I had terrible troubles with my 100k 4HP20 which was behaving like it was at deaths doorstep (see towards the end of the Xantia V6 broken exhaust thread) and it never once logged a fault code. Fortunately I seem to have revived it with several rapid oil changes and is working mostly ok now, but for how long I don't know.

Knowing what I know now I would be wary of buying any high mileage (over 100k) car with a 4HP20 or AL4 without knowing the risks. These boxes like to fail and I think its partly due to Citroen not specifying any oil change interval. ("sealed for life") Those few where the owners have gone out of their way to do regular oil changes seem to have lasted MUCH longer than average, (one managed just over 200k) but how would you know if that was the case on a second hand car.

If you can get it at a much lower mileage and do regular oil changes on it to keep it in good shape, that's a different proposition altogether. Automatic gearboxes are one item where preventative maintenance really is the way to go.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Buying an auto is a much more risky business than a manual, the manual engines and boxes have a life of two or three hundred thousand miles but a failed auto box will write the car off. As mentioned the 2.2 is heavy on fuel but the 2.0. Hdi manual can do 60mpg+ driven gently. Personally I wouldn't touch an auto with a barge pole but if you must have one look for one that has had the gearbox replaced or at least regularly serviced. High mileage C5s are very cheap but still reliable in manual form.

Peter
blackbeard
My Cars:

Post by blackbeard »

Hi,
I have ran a C5 automatic (2002 2.0 16v petrol) for the last 3 years.

All the usual issues with buying a used car, especially a complex French one, apply with the Mk1 C5.

Be especially carefull in the 'budget' sub £2000 catagory - as with any used car in this price range. Stay away from high milers, stay away from any without a service history (or a folder of receipts so you can see what has and has not been done), and stay away from any visibly worn out or tired looking workhorses.

Be carefulll how and where you buy - I am an experienced auction buyer, but I chose to buy my C5 from a dealer for the added piece of mind. I figured an extra £200 - £400 that a dealer will charge over the auction price could save me loads later. The C5 is way too complex for anyone - even an experinced eye - to spot all underlying issues after just a walk round and short test drive. Not worth the risk buying off fleaby or the 'bloke down the road' (unless you know and can trust the seller).

As for the auto box, and automatics in general, I have found them to be no worse, or better, than manual boxes. The auto box in my C5 is for 99% of the time silky smooth and with almost undetectable changes. Just once in perhaps a hundred changes or so it can be a bit a sharp on the down change, but thats it. My box is multi-mode with standard, sport, and winter modes, in addition to a 'tiptronic style' electronic manual overide which is handy as standard changes are a bit early for me, and sport changes a bit late, so manual overide is just right - 3 bears and all that. lol.

By the way, changing a clutch on a modern manual front drive car can often cost just as much as having an auto box reconditioned. I have a friend who paid £450 for a new clutch to be fitted on his Mondeo. A recon auto-box for a C5 can be had for that, and a working auto box from a scrppy can be had for around £150.

My wifes old Toyota was an auto - 20 years old and the auto gearbox oil was never changed - no issues with it, ever. Dont know if we could get away with that with a C5 box though........

As with all used cars - whether 2 years old or 22 years old, reliability is often down to 'luck of the draw' - all you can do is increase your chances of buying a good one/decrease your chances of buying a bad one by buying smart - do your homework, shop around, try out a few, and buy one from a dealer (so you can take it back if it does turn out to be a lemon in the first few days of ownership).
Current French machine:
2002 Citroen C5 2.0 16v Automatic (petrol)

Previous French machines (all auction finds):
2000 Citroen Xantia 1.8 16v (petrol)
1999 Peugeot 206 'Roland-Garos'
1998 Renault Laguna 1.8 8v (petrol)
1992 Renault 21 2.0 8v (petrol saloon)
amjake

Post by amjake »

Hi

Many myths abound about automatics here's my good reasons for buying....

I own C5 02 plate 2.0 auto HDi, 182,000m and auto still smooth. I have purchased a few auto's in my time (back pain) and as yet have never had a problem or had to have an auto box replaced. Most cars including hire,lease and company cars are manuals so any auto purchase means chances are not hammered by 'drivers' etc. and no worn clutch to be considered.

I'd concur with what blackbeard states with his "The auto box in my C5 is for 99% of the time silky smooth and with almost undetectable changes. Just once in perhaps a hundred changes or so it can be a bit a sharp on the down change, but thats it. My box is multi-mode with standard, sport, and winter modes, in addition to a 'tiptronic style' electronic manual overide which is handy as standard changes are a bit early for me, and sport changes a bit late, so manual overide is just right - 3 bears and all that."

I average 44mpg with a Tuning Diesel Synergy box fitted which was an improvement of 16% on previous 38mpg and that's on 30,000+ miles per annum.

As previously mentioned, oil changes may make the difference as I have my auto oil changed on cars annual service.

You'll be surprised how much easier and relaxing 'auto' driving is, I find less use of brakes and all done on throttle control and considering most driving is done in traffic then out goes the gear/clutch control. If I want to go for it then I do!

I still drive manuals, wife and daughters, and only downside is us 'auto' drivers tend to forget to change down!

I'm also currently hunting next car which you've guessed will be auto.

ATB

Kevin
wirdip
My Cars: Citroen C8 2.0 Ltr hdi exclusive auto 2004
Citroen Berlingo 2.0 Ltr hdi 2004
Peugeot 806 1.9 TD 1993

Post by wirdip »

Thanks for the pearls of wisdom so far. I have had diesel auto before (galaxy) and this was a joy to drive and own, never any probs but that was only 4 years old. any further advice particularly on fault lights etc would be appreciated.

Regards Alan
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

Common faults on older C5's are faulty climate control motor on passenger side (£85 to replace), clunking drop links (approx £60 for Lemforder replacements, pattern a lot cheaper but will fail quickly as well), cloudy headlamp lenses due to non UV bulbs being used, knocking crankshaft pulleys.
Don't be surprised if the car is suffering from at least two of these issues, but they are all relatively cheap to fix so just factor it into the buying price.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink: