Xantia water leak fix and upgrades

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mirafioriman

Re: Xantia water leak fix and upgrades

Post by mirafioriman »

Well, sunroof drains checked, rear lights sealed, rear wiper spindle tightened up and all the door membranes sealed up before I re-fitted the door panels.

We've not had any rain here for about 2 weeks. Today it literally started spitting with rain and there was water under the rear seat base area. It was on both sides and just seems to appear. It's clear, clean water and I can't see any tracks to show where it's coming from.

I can't put the carpets in until it's fully watertight and I'm now really running out of ideas of what to do next :? :?
Former Proud owner of a 1994 Citroen Xantia 1.9d and BX 19RD

Now driving an Alfa 159 but god I miss the Xantia!
bonnyman750
My Cars:

Post by bonnyman750 »

Hi Mirafiori,

just an extra one for you. I am also having water under the rear seat issues and I have found another source. I noticed a droplet of water on the LHR seat belt where it exits the 'C' post trim above the rear seat squab (backrest)after hosing the car down post wash. I stripped out the trim panel and reapplied the hose to the roof panel. The water started forming a run from the inner pointed roof/'C' post panel join (just out of the LHS of your first picture). I knew that the roof bar holes had screws in them (i.e. sealed) and that the sunroof drains were both clear and intact (i.e. no splits). After rechecking roof area I noticed that the (painted) seal between the outer top of the 'C' post/quarter panel and the roof join (above the rear of the rear door shutline to the 'C' post) had a few cracks/splits in it. I concentrated the water flow in this area (with a jug full, not the hose #-o ) while looking through the tailgate opening and sure enough, the water started flowing through inside the car and dropping down onto the seat belt runner on the 'C' post then down the back of the seat squab/black outer seat/BIW trim and into the under seat area. I then checked the other side and this was in the same condition (same trial with water - same result). I applied a small bead of clear silicon sealant all along this join and into both ends and left to dry. So far there doesn't seem to be any more water ingress, just the dampness from the previous water under the seat. It has just started raining well here so I will be able to check progress...

HTH

Glyn
mirafioriman

Post by mirafioriman »

Thanks! Mine is cracking there too so I'll reseal mine too.

bonnyman750
My Cars:

Post by bonnyman750 »

Just as a secondary thought, did you have any water under the boot carpet? I have (had?) an issue with this too...LHS...real light seems to seal OK, no ingress from tailgate...still checking for dryness after 'C' post fix...

Cheers

Glyn
mirafioriman

Post by mirafioriman »

Yes it was wet in the boot too but that seems dry now.

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if Glyn's offering does not sort the leak, has anyone suggested the door sill drains may be blocked, causing them to fill with water which could overflow into the car
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
bonnyman750
My Cars:

Post by bonnyman750 »

Hi Malcolm,

Yes, on a personal basis, I did check the rear door drains when wiping the (car wash) water off the door periphery/aperture and they were clear. That was when I noticed the droplets on the seal belt. With the trim out and water on said seal area, you could physically see the water coming from behind the seat squab and dribbling into the under seat area. Good point though for any other FCF'rs with the same problem...

Cheers

Glyn
mirafioriman

Post by mirafioriman »

The door drains are clear. Are there drains in the sills too?

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

mirafioriman wrote:Are there drains in the sills too?
Yes, look along their bottom seams near the jacking points and you'll see areas where the seam splays out. That's a drain.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mirafioriman

Post by mirafioriman »

I'll check them too. Thanks.

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

bonnyman750 wrote:Hi Malcolm,

Yes, on a personal basis, I did check the rear door drains when wiping the (car wash) water off the door periphery/aperture and they were clear. That was when I noticed the droplets on the seal belt. With the trim out and water on said seal area, you could physically see the water coming from behind the seat squab and dribbling into the under seat area. Good point though for any other FCF'rs with the same problem...

Cheers

Glyn
no no Glyn i mean as Sir Jim has pointed out the door sill's not the doors them selves
Last edited by citronut on 07 Mar 2013, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The doors themselves have drains too.... The cut-outs along the bottom inside are very obvious...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mirafioriman

Post by mirafioriman »

Well looking at it in the rain we've had over the past couple of days it seemed that it was coming in and running down from the rear seat belt mounting area so it could well be coming through the quarter panel sealant. I bought some clear 3M sealer but it's not been dry enough to do the job yet.

On another note I had a bit of luck with my ebay search for new wheel trims. I got a set of four new and unused genuine trims for a good price. I'm freightened to fit them now in case I hit a kerb and damage them :oops:

mirafioriman

Post by mirafioriman »

Well, sealed the seams this evening. Will report back next time it rains with whether it's still leaking or not.