could we save the xantia in years to come

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: could we save the xantia in years to come

Post by lexi »

Lexi, if you start comparing the Xantia to a Vectra I'll have to get out the banhammer
Ah! Did you prefer the Cavalier? :lol: I suppose I am being slightly mischievous. However I don't ever consider my car choices and classics as being great cars or "safe buys" I buy and keep them because I like and suffer them........well something like that! . I may have a Xantia next week, depending on the wind direction.
I have recently taken a fancy to a beat up Daihatsu Hi Jet van...........and doing weddings in it ! :shock:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

WAAAH! Make the nasty man stop! He's scaring me! He's talking about Poxawfuls and Eastern tin boxes! I want my nice comfy Citroen. MAKE HIM STOP! Waah.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

lexi wrote:
Lexi, if you start comparing the Xantia to a Vectra I'll have to get out the banhammer
Ah! Did you prefer the Cavalier? :lol: I suppose I am being slightly mischievous. However I don't ever consider my car choices and classics as being great cars or "safe buys" I buy and keep them because I like and suffer them........well something like that! . I may have a Xantia next week, depending on the wind direction.
I have recently taken a fancy to a beat up Daihatsu Hi Jet van...........and doing weddings in it ! :shock:
A man after my own heart. I buy and drive what interests me, and bin if off when it breaks/annoys me/starts to cost too much. Out of the 130 cars or so I've had however, I've only had one Poxhall (8V Astra GTE) and only ever driven two others - a Calibra V6 when it was new back in 1998, belonged to my boss, and a Corsa B 1.2. I was deeply unimpressed with all of them.

Don't misinterpret my posts - I like Xantias. I've owned every model apart from a VSX Petrol turbo S1 estate and an S2 V6. However, for the money now, there are better and more reliable options for me.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

WAAAH! Make the nasty man stop! He's scaring me! He's talking about Poxawfuls and Eastern tin boxes! I want my nice comfy Citroen. MAKE HIM STOP! Waah.
:-D I don't think you are going to like my DD preference. 61 Land Rover ser 11 109. Leaf springs and only 74bhp. You would have to prise my frozen knuckles from the wheel to get me to part with it. The lovable heap of cr4p! It's time will come though :-D

Never owned Vauxhall. I fancied The Senator 3.0 auto mind you.

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Nah! Land Rovers are a part of our heritage, and should be considered for Listed status.

Your Landie is older than I am. It has more right to take up space than me, as it (probably) has been more useful. Looked after properly, it will still be around (and working) when I am dead and buried.

EDIT. OOPS! I thought Lexi meant a Landie made in 1961. He probably has a late 2011 Landie! Yes, I was born yesterday! Still, I still think they should be Listed.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 11 Feb 2013, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Had the misfortune of a ride in a C5 this afternoon, forgot how cramped they are compared with the Xantia
Indicator noise was like a fast game of pong rather than a nice relay click and the top of the passenger seat dug into my shoulder blades.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Oh damm, I was going to give you a nice C5 for your Birthday Xac...

That's blown that :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

The C5 will come to you all...........it is your destiny :lol: I thought C5 would be bigger inside. I found Xantias just slightly neat going down and into them and coming up and out. The front legroom is tight as well. More front legroom in a Prelude.

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Nah, I'll be hunting down one of the last few still running 1st Laguna II diesels (or fitting a decent PSA lump into it, or maybe the 3L V6 HDi) as at least they look decent, ride well and have plenty of room inside, plus 5 star encap

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I've seen what I'll be having next in my dreams. It was on last night's Top Gear...

I'm absolutely smitten by it...

Image :P 8-) :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Tee-hee

DIY sphere tool
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Post by 411514 »

Why is the C5 hated so much. I've had mine now for almost 4 years, in that time its has not failed to start once.
Wanted for nothing other than basic servicing and consumables (droplinks/balljoints/brakes). Not a spot of rust
on it despite being 10 years old and after a wash looks perfectly smart and modern. I have had a xantia in the
family in the past and find the C5 much more spacious inside and a more refined/smooth drive. Only the 110hdi
engine but perfectly spritely, couldn't want for more great on the motorway. At current prices I guess i'd be lucky
to get over a thousand quid for it which is madness, for the same money you'd be looking at a poxy petrol much
older volkswagen ford or audi. I think it was Peter who switched from XM to C5 quite recently despite previously
being something of a C5 critic and from what I gather he is now a converted fan. Cheap C5's are in plentiful supply
and £1000 will see a lovely good condition, low mileage diesel, which actually seems to be cheaper than the xantia,
Sam
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

411514 wrote:Why is the C5 hated so much. I've had mine now for almost 4 years, in that time its has not failed to start once.
Wanted for nothing other than basic servicing and consumables (droplinks/balljoints/brakes). Not a spot of rust
on it despite being 10 years old and after a wash looks perfectly smart and modern. I have had a xantia in the
family in the past and find the C5 much more spacious inside and a more refined/smooth drive. Only the 110hdi
engine but perfectly spritely, couldn't want for more great on the motorway. At current prices I guess i'd be lucky
to get over a thousand quid for it which is madness, for the same money you'd be looking at a poxy petrol much
older volkswagen ford or audi. I think it was Peter who switched from XM to C5 quite recently despite previously
being something of a C5 critic and from what I gather he is now a converted fan. Cheap C5's are in plentiful supply
and £1000 will see a lovely good condition, low mileage diesel, which actually seems to be cheaper than the xantia,
Sam
I agree with absolutely every word, and I've had loads of Xantias over the years. I really do like them, but the C5 just does everything better than a Xantia.
This is of course my opinion, and worth exactly what you paid for it... ;-)
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

It is dull as dish water basically.
The estate looks like a trout from the side, and no better from the front or back.
Bland would be a good description of it.
Their poor 2nd hand price reflects this, it's not due to reliability or issues, but because very few people look at them and go "Wow, now there's a car I'd like to be seen in, it's so dreamy"

DIY sphere tool
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote:I've seen what I'll be having next in my dreams. It was on last night's Top Gear...

I'm absolutely smitten by it...

Image :P 8-) :-D
You're a clever chap Jim. Why not build your own version, that's better... interesting little project. I'm sure the SVA manual is around somewhere.

It'd go well with a V6 fitted.