C5 2.2 Hdi - DPF removal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

As we're on our third day of temperatures exceeding 30°C, my underarm could deliver a knockout blow in just about any contest. :shock:
osx
(Donor 2022)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: GSA X
BX 1.6
C5 X7 Auto
C5 X7x2 Manual

Re: C5 2.2 Hdi - DPF removal

Post by osx »

triumphtoledo wrote:Not trying to be a smart ar*se but it is illegal to run a de-FAP'd car on the road - and passing the MoT Test's smoke opacity does not mean that the emissions are legal.

You should also inform your insurance company - some providers will refuse to even cover the car come renewal time though.

I await an onslaught of replies but i have been researching this matter for work for the past 5 weeks and have concluded that my C5 facelift will retain its FAP...

R
Emissions will be legal in the same way they are legal in the same non-dpf version of the same car.
C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDi Auto
C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDi Manual
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

osx wrote:
triumphtoledo wrote:Not trying to be a smart ar*se but it is illegal to run a de-FAP'd car on the road - and passing the MoT Test's smoke opacity does not mean that the emissions are legal.

You should also inform your insurance company - some providers will refuse to even cover the car come renewal time though.

I await an onslaught of replies but i have been researching this matter for work for the past 5 weeks and have concluded that my C5 facelift will retain its FAP...

R
Emissions will be legal in the same way they are legal in the same non-dpf version of the same car.
Its not a question of IF the car is legal to drive or not, it is a question of "Informing the Insurance Company" and the effect on the "Road Fund License" levels that is the concern.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
osx
(Donor 2022)
BX 1.6
C5 X7 Auto
C5 X7x2 Manual

Post by osx »

Do you inform the insurance company when you change your tyres with better ones or cheap ones (ie not the same quality as the ones supplied by the manufacturer?). Why would it have an effect on the RFL when the same car is sold without a FAP?
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

osx wrote: Why would it have an effect on the RFL when the same car is sold without a FAP?
It wouldn't as no one in their right mind would actually tell the DVLA they've actually removed their FAP and ask for their car to be reclassified...

As for insurance, yes, strictly you should tell them it's been remapped. They can't tell though, and won't look unless given suspicion to do so in a crash. As I understand it, the FAP hardware stays in place, it's just mapped out of the system, so there are no visible mods.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Indeed, and a lot of the hysteria about claims being denied is utter rubbish; it's always three degrees apocryphal, the outcome of extremely provocative conduct on the part of the insured (eg, there being a prosecution underway in parallel to the claim) or plain old "Chicken Little" territory. Augmenting everpresent social hysteria is not necessary.

One thing I've found here from reading the fine print, is that although you are generally required to make your car available for inspection at any time by a contracted insurer (with reasonable notice), there is no restriction on you remaining constantly with the vehicle or having representation to hand. That gives more power than many people imagined they had in the event of a claim.
osx
(Donor 2022)
BX 1.6
C5 X7 Auto
C5 X7x2 Manual

Post by osx »

Northern_Mike wrote:
osx wrote: and won't look unless given suspicion to do so in a crash.
Why on earth would they want to check if the DPF has been mapped out in an event of a crash. It would be much easier to say that tyres for example were not the same as the ones recommended by the manufacturer.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Exactly. Assessors are shallow people from my experiences.
miked
My Cars: Xsara SX (2003) Last of the line.

Post by miked »

triumphtoledo wrote:Not trying to be a smart ar*se but it is illegal to run a de-FAP'd car on the road
I've heard that before. Not wanting to take this off topic too much but if you have looked into this can you tell me why is it illegal, or give me a link to an official explanation? I was once told it was because the VED (tax) was reduced if you have a DPF but It can't be as the tax on my car, and the wife's is based on CO2 emissions. My wife's big heavy car (807/C8) has the same engine (HDi 110) as my small light car (Xsara). Her car has a DPF but her tax is nearly twice as much as mine.

Or have the rules for newer cars changed and you do now get a discount on the duty if you have a particulate filter? If so why don't older cars with expensive to maintain but still functioning DPF's get a discount?

EDIT: Didn't edit anything. Reason: To just say oops, there's a 2nd page which I never saw.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Is VED not based on the theoretical emissions for the engine in whatever setting it is used and that the DPF is supposed to reduce emissions compared to a non-DPF engine in the same setting.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

myglaren wrote:Is VED not based on the theoretical emissions for the engine in whatever setting it is used and that the DPF is supposed to reduce emissions compared to a non-DPF engine in the same setting.
Yes, it is. However the usual trick is to leave everything complete and installed and map it out. Can't tell without actually reading the software.
osx
(Donor 2022)
BX 1.6
C5 X7 Auto
C5 X7x2 Manual

Post by osx »

myglaren wrote:Is VED not based on the theoretical emissions for the engine in whatever setting it is used and that the DPF is supposed to reduce emissions compared to a non-DPF engine in the same setting.
You will have exactly the same emissions if you "transform" you DPF car to the non-DPF version by removing the DPF and remapping the ECU.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

osx wrote:
You will have exactly the same emissions if you "transform" you DPF car to the non-DPF version by removing the DPF and remapping the ECU.
You will, but when the MOT tester sees it missing, it'll fail. So, you leave it all in place, just mapped out of the ECU..
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

http://www.motester.co.uk/mot-blogs/mot ... nd-the-mot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
philthyD
My Cars:

Post by philthyD »

Lol and finally the answer! :) well it'l do for me anyway
'01 Cit C5 2.2HDI SX +toys *rescued and undergoing dpf removal*'95

Nissan micra*crashed*
'96 Nissan micra*crashed*
1979 Datsun Cherry*sold*