Xantia - no front fog lights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Xantia - no sidelights

Post by RichardW »

Mandrake wrote:Can someone tell me how on earth you get the fog lights out on a Series 2 Xantia without taking the whole bumper off ? :?
You can't :lol:

Info here: Front bumper removal

Not too bad - as long as the side bolts will come out.....
Richard W
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Xantia - no front fog lights

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If you are just replacing the bulbs, you don't need to take the bumper off. If you are replacing the unit, the bumper does have to come off. I recently had to replace the bulbs, and I did manage it. Latex gloves, a torch, slim hands, Percywotsits, and care will do it. An assistant would also be useful, but is not necessary.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

RichardW wrote:
Mandrake wrote:Can someone tell me how on earth you get the fog lights out on a Series 2 Xantia without taking the whole bumper off ? :?
You can't :lol:

Info here: Front bumper removal

Not too bad - as long as the side bolts will come out.....
Drat! :( Thanks for the link, very helpful. :)

The next question is what type of bulbs do they take ? Depending on the cost of the bulbs I think I'd rather be armed with new ones before taking the bumper off, as I don't want to take it off twice! :twisted:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:If you are just replacing the bulbs, you don't need to take the bumper off. If you are replacing the unit, the bumper does have to come off. I recently had to replace the bulbs, and I did manage it. Latex gloves, a torch, slim hands, Percywotsits, and care will do it. An assistant would also be useful, but is not necessary.
Hmm, interesting. I wonder if different models/engines etc have different amounts of stuff behind the corners of the bumper ? Mine seems to be jam packed with stuff on both sides, and I do have slim hands... :lol:
Simon

1978 CX 2400
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It is easier with the front wheels off, as you can pull back the splash shields better.

At a shot, though, try removing the radiator fan cowl, headlight lower trims, headlights and see how much room you have to get in there. They're H1 bulbs and the bulbholder/cap is a quarter turn bayonet fixing.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

OK, the bulbs you need are H1, the same as used in the main lights.

As mentioned in my previous post, you WILL need latex gloves (to prevent contact with your skin. You are very likely to touch the bulb as you fit it), a torch, slim hands (space is definitely at a premium, hands like shovels won't fit!), perseverance (I think it took me an hour to replace both), and (if you have one) an assistant would help (but you can do it on your own if you have slim hands).

Get the car up high (supported would be best), and then look up from under the nearside bumper at the fog light (torch needed). As you will see, space is limited, but you can see the bulb holder with connector coming off at 90 degrees, and it is in the horizontal position. Take a very good look, as you will be working blind (your hand will get in the way). The bulb holder rotates up about 45 degrees (this is the same on BOTH sides), and can then be withdrawn (it is a tight fit, but it will move). Be careful, as there is a large 'O' ring on the holder (acting as a weather seal to prevent water getting into the lens). This can drop off, and is a real PITA as you try to re-fit things together. Once you have the holder out, you will find that the bulb is just pushed into the holder. Re-fit the 'O' ring (it is almost a certainty to have come off. Be prepared for it to come off during the installation process, but remember you need it fitted to prevent water getting into the lens, so DON'T chuck it away), replace the bulb, and (very carefully) re-fit the holder back into the lens. Make certain to get it back to the horizontal so it latches and won't come loose. You are now ready to do the offside bulb.

Right, now for the bad news. If you thought space was tight on the nearside, you have less on the offside, as some of it is taken up by the screen wash reservoir. If you cannot get a hand in there you WILL need an assistant (and I will tell you how to do the job if this happens). If you can get your hand in there, the arrangement is a mirror of the nearside, although the holder still needs to rotate up. Same process to replace the bulb ('O' ring included, damn it!), but made a lot more awkward due to the lack of space.

If you need more space, you will need to flex the side of the bumper away from the wing. You will need to move the front inner lining of the mudguard so that you can access the bolt holding the back top corner of the bumper to the wing (I know this can be done, as this is how my brother and I did it on my previous Xantia, but as it was over a year ago I cannot remember how many bolts hold the lining in place). Once the lining is out of the way, remove that bolt (Torx 10, IIRC), un-hook the bumper from the wing, and then get your assistant to carefully flex the bumper away from the wing (you don't want them breaking it), and that should give you about another inch of space.

Good luck. It can be done, but it is a massive PITA (but less than removing the bumper, I would imagine).

PS. Gracie is an LX HDi, so there may be less equipment in the bumper spaces than on your V6. I had enough space to work in.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 17 Apr 2013, 18:19, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
KennyW
Donor 2024
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Simon,

To remove the front bumper is relatively easy, there are 2 screws and 4 bolts to remove and the bumper comes off. It is more the size of the bumper than anything else.

Remove the wheel arch plastic covers and from there access the 2 screws which secure bumper to wing and 2 bolts which hold the bumper to the frame under the wheel arch at the engine bay side offside and nearside and a further 2 bolts located above the front fog-lights. As you remove the bumper disconnect the fog light wiring. Simples :!:

Kenny

Sorry but missed the link earlier
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
Taffyrhys
My Cars:

Post by Taffyrhys »

On my S2 HDi estate i found that taking the headlights out was the easy way and replaced both bulbs in half hour. The head lights are one unit and are fixed in placed by a few bolts and the great thing is the lamp housing unit is fixed, so removing them does alter the headlight alignment. You also have to remove a small part of the grill but again only a few bolts.

Or you could wait until the Autumn now the nice weather is upon us :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Taffyrhys wrote:On my S2 HDi estate i found that taking the headlights out was the easy way and replaced both bulbs in half hour. The head lights are one unit and are fixed in placed by a few bolts and the great thing is the lamp housing unit is fixed, so removing them does alter the headlight alignment. You also have to remove a small part of the grill but again only a few bolts.
I was reluctant to take the headlights out for fear that it would upset the adjustment, but if they can be done this way it might be worth trying. Looks like there are a few ways to do it, I was thinking maybe taking the bumper off would be the best way as it would also give me the opportunity to inspect the other stuff jammed in behind the bumper including the washer bottle etc, and also have a second attempt at fixing the cruise control, which is also jammed behind the bumper...but perhaps I will just try removing the headlights and do it that way...
Or you could wait until the Autumn now the nice weather is upon us :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Problem is I'm sure no fog lights will be an MOT fail so it needs to be fixed for the MOT even if I hardly use them...MOT is not due until August but I have a number of other problems to sort out before the MOT so I don't want to leave anything until the last moment like last year, which was very stressful! :?
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

OK, so the way I did it was hard work BUT I did not have to undo bolts that had rusted into place (and we all know how much of a PITA that is!). However, now I have done it once on Gracie I know that I can do it again.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Don't worry about the MOT Simon - front fogs are not tested - you might have noticed mine doesn't have any, after the unfortunate drain pipe incident referred to in the thread :lol:
Richard W
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

An update on the lack of front fog lights, while going through all the fuses for other reasons I'm almost embarrassed to say that I've found the 30 amp fuse that is shared between the front fog lights and the headlight washers was blown. :oops:

I put a new one in expecting it to blow but it didn't, and strangely both front fog lights are working just fine. 8-[

Of course the fuse must have blown for a reason, I can tell by looking at it that it went splat with some gusto, so I'm guessing there is a chafed wire somewhere that touched earth at some point in the past, or that the headlight washer motor is shorted.

How exactly do I get the headlight washers to operate ? I tried putting the headlights on, then operating the windscreen wiper and washer, but nothing seemed to happen at the headlight washers... It didn't blow the fuse though, and I'm not too worried about lack of headlight washers, I've never had any on previous cars! :twisted:
Simon

1978 CX 2400
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I think they operate simultaneously with the rear washer jet. Did you try that?
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re:

Post by Mandrake »

addo wrote:I think they operate simultaneously with the rear washer jet. Did you try that?
Erm, I can't remember, I think I tried both front and rear washers but there was no water on the headlights...

So does the headlight washer have its own independent pump, but share the same water bottle ? I'm not even sure if the front and rear use the same pump, I've never had to delve into the washer system on a Xantia...
Simon

1978 CX 2400
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Headlight washers operate off their own pump. It's much higher volume.