help non starter citroen xantia!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: help non starter citroen xantia!

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Before you buy a Lexia off e-bay, seek advice. Some are OK, others are not so good. The Chinese clones don't work over version 5.29 of the Lexia software (at this moment).

Your best bet could be Diagbox. It is more expensive than a lot of the Lexia clones on e-bay, but it seems to be more reliable, and there is a good aftercare service. They also (apparently) knock off £10 to FCF members.

http://www.easydiagnostics.co.uk/#/shop ... le/4294259" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
davo123

Post by davo123 »

Good call hell razor thanks im buying that one he does give discount fyi just waiting for him to invoice me via paypal and it should be here dayafter tomo...now if somebody could advise me on the ecu dilemma hopefully i am set! Do i buy an ecu with the same code but no chip or ecu with diff code but for same engine with texton box and ignition and key etc which will be easier to recode or whayever i have to do to it....thanks
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

All the Lexia is likely to do - in the short term, considering there is no K light on - is tell you the ECU status. Providing it says "unlocked" then the problem is either electrical or the ECU itself.
davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Post by davoxx »

Okay, this is what I what I think it is: A fault on the ignition telling ecu to cut fuel and ignition (cracked spark plug / bad lead) or Bad Fuel.

So ...
I'd check all spark plugs.
I'd see if I'd check to see the fuel coming out (smell of petrol in cylinder).
Then I'd disconnect the ecu for 3 hours to blank it.
Then I'd reconnect and try again and see if I hear a different noise.
If different I'd change the plugs and try again.
Then I'd drain the fuel and refill with 'clean' petrol.
why?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Quick question. Does the 'K' light come on when you turn the key to position 2 (but not the start position)? As far as I am aware, it should come on (and stay on) until the engine has been running for a few seconds (unless there is a problem). Well, it does on Gracie, which (I hope) means all is well. If it does not, it would suggest a blown lightbulb.

The reason I ask is that you said you hadn't seen the immobiliser light come on. It should, but just for a moment.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
davo123

Post by davo123 »

Fuel pump is working...fuel is fine drove 30 miles on it and and stopped and started ...i have never seen a k light i get the stop,battery,(stop flShes unless i put foot on the brake, a couple of aorbags,suspension pump thing and abs no key light ever...not in the year or so ive owned it
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Then that suggests a few blown light bulbs on the dashboard. The 'K' light is in the 'CONTROLE' group of lights, bottom left row, yellow, and looks like an engine with a 'K' shape in it. I've found a webpage that shows that group of lights, so I hope it helps;

http://community.preloved.co.uk/forums/ ... ights.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know that this doesn't help with the main problem, but when you get that solved, having all the bulbs working can be useful.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
davo123

Post by davo123 »

Heh yeah i bet i hadnt ever heard of a k light til you just mentioned it
well ill carry on tomorrow.night and thanks all for your help...ill keep you updated.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It sounds then, like definitely two things worth investigating - the globes for K and transponder telltale lights on the dash.

Tell you what - here's one simple test for the transponder. Take off the column shroud (top/bottom parts) and unplug the transponder aerial (small, squareish black plug). Put in key and turn ignition to "on" - see if key symbol lights up in bottom of tacho.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I have watched the light sequence on Gracie so I could let you know which lights came on, and the order they go out in. My Xantia is an HDi, so there will be differences. The one I know of (and will only mention here) is the glow plug light. If there are any lights on your Xantia that are not on mine, I won't know of them.

When you turn the key to the 'M' position, lots of lights will come on, and then some of them will go out. The order they go out is as follows;

Immobiliser light will go out (Rev counter, lower right. It won't have been on for long). Then (in the CONTROLE group) the oil level warning light (if it blinks for 15 seconds the car is suggesting the oil level is wrong), followed by the ABS light (this may come back on as you start the car, but it will go out again). Next (in the CITROEN group) the airbag light, followed by the side airbag light (looks like a seated person wearing a safety belt with a balloon beside them).

There are now several lights that will stay on until the engine is running. The lights that are still on are;

In the CONTROLE group, the 'K' light, the brake warning light, the stop light, the oil pressure light (looks like an oil can), and the battery light. Below that group, the coolant warning light. Over in the CITROEN group, the handbrake light.

When you start the engine (I know, it won't at the moment) the oil pressure, coolant and battery lights should go out almost instantly. The the 'K' light after a second or so. Finally, once the hydro pnuematic system has got to its operating pressure, the brake warning light and the STOP light will go out. The only light that should remain lit is the handbrake light in the CITROEN group.

If you need to replace some bulbs, the general concensus is that it make sense to replace all of the bulbs (as it takes about an hour to get the dashboard etc. out, swap and re-fit when you know what you are doing). Get about 40 bulbs, (this will be more than you need , but not a lot more). Citroen charge above the odds, GSF didn't have any when I needed to get some, so I got them from Unipart (part number GLB286BXT, 12 V 1.2W). There are two bulbs of a different design used in the heater control, but I don't have the part number.

I hope this helps.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
davo123

Post by davo123 »

Right well after much deliberation the xantia has been condemned.ive just bought a lovely mondeo...i know i know but it was cheap came with fsh and yrs mot and heated leather seats and a chain driven cam...im hoping it will last me a while.so i have lots of citroen spares its a silver estate tottally rust free , new spheres on the back a month ago with receipt from GSF,susp rises within 20 sec always usually in about 15 sec...only s**t bits is drivers window fell out of runner and pas side rear door has a den otherwise all parts are there...except the ecu of course.brand new crank sensor and exhaust is only about a year old...the whole exhaust...got the original manuals.2 working keys...if youre aftr anything let me know b4 i.t all goes on ebay.thanks for all your efforts-just had to cut my losses!was knocking on 300 quid already add a lexia and possible ecu to ecu doc and its 500 and tax runs out end of month plus dog ate the seatbelts thats another 200...it just didnt make sense.good luck with your citroens and pm me if you are after any parts..thanks!!
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

PM me some details about the car as I might buy it complete. Mileage, MOT, rust, interior condition, etc. I'm assuming its a Forte or LX spec. if its only a 1.8i lump.

Handyman
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

citronut wrote:
service citroen only shows a single coil pack for all MK2 petrol XANT's except the V6,

who told you they have separate coils?????
There are 2 seperate coils on the 16v (ie 2 sets of windings) but they are both moulded into the one unit, One side sparks cyls 1 & 4 at the same time & the other side sparks 2 & 3 at the same time, either set of windings can fail seperatley, I assume thats what he meant.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Have you ever played mix and match with the coils off different motors? I don't mean as half a pair, but visually (at least) the coils for a TU5JP4 look remarkably like what's under the cover on an XU10J4R.
davo123

Post by davo123 »

Hi its an lx everything worked on it except drivers window,mechanism works but it fell off its runners so wedged shut with a piece of wood,apart from that and airbag lights on dash it was very good until it gave up! Engine uses no oil or water and suspension fast to rise with new rear spheres has 159600 miles on the clock dent in rear pas door,no visible rust anywhere interior could do with a clean-the dad used it as his fishimg car and we have a dog.heater works fine as does a.c .mot til 28th may tax til end of feb,no seatbelts as the dog chewed all 4-I nearly wrapped one round its bloody neck!exhaust was replaced 2009,brakes done 2010 disks and pads-was family owned from new before I bought it-the chap I bought it off cried when i drove off-was owned by mum son and dad in that order son was military nice family obviously looked after the car drives very well engine was very responsive.has loads of receipts and old mots.180 its yours ill get close to that for scrap-keeping the battery! Thanks