My Gordian Knot, Unpicked

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It's all fitted up and cranks healthily, but the immobiliser light flashes - not constant glow.

Anyone have an idea what this difference is supposed to indicate? No dialogue with ECU, or no recognition of key?
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: My Gordian Knot

Post by Mandrake »

Is your Lexia on strike ? :lol:

I'm assuming it does it every time, however it sounds similar to what mine has randomly done twice, where the immobiliser light flashed for 30 seconds accompanied by a constant tone, as documented in this thread:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 4&p=367736" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of the three faults logged I believe it was the "Intermittent fault, Engine ECU : unlocking error" that was relevant, since its the only fault code I had not seen before and the only one that appeared only during this particular fault.

Since the engine still started despite the error I'm assuming that the error means the CPH did not receive a confirmation of unlocking back from the Engine ECU despite the Engine ECU receiving a valid unlock code. (Either that or my Engine ECU has been permanently unlocked by someone, so will start with or without immobiliser code ?)
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I was out of time for the Lexia yesterday. Will likely have a crack today.

Haven't seen the flashing key symbol before, only a solid orange glow.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Unsatisfactory result; no dialogue with CPH.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Not good. I'm assuming the CPH was transplanted from the donor car along with the Engine and Engine ECU ?

Seems like not only is it not communicating with the Lexia, the flashing light probably means its not communicating with the Engine ECU either. Might need to do some more tracing of the Gordian Knot. :twisted:
Simon

1978 CX 2400
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

This could be the worst Bastille Day since Bastille Day :lol:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'm looking forward to the weekend, when I next have a crack at it. Lots of things to try.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

OK, due to a spilled bag of cement (the joy, the joy - I stripped out the entire interior to vacuum, blow off and wash down thereafter) I did not get to play Berlingo.

However! I did experiment with the Xantia whilst in a slightly flippant mood. Same ECU and CPH arrangement as the Blingo transplant.

Experiment 1: Unplug ECU, turn key to "Marche". Immob light glows solid briefly, then flashes for about 30 seconds before going off.
Experiment 2: Lexia communicates with the CPH whilst the ECU is offline, and you can even code in keys.
Experiment 3: The donor's remote fob was easily programmed to activate my central locking.

I'm most pleased with these results, especially the plipper confirmation. My findings also strongly suggest that a basic voltage supply issue is one of my stumbling blocks to dialogue with the Berlingo CPH.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I would agree. If the CPH has a proper voltage supply and the diagnostic data lines are connected to it properly you should at least be able to get communication with a Lexia, so start with that. I assume you have pinouts for the CPH etc ?
Simon

1978 CX 2400
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I have an incomplete set of pinouts. I have the locking and immobiliser pins, but not the lighting control or alarm interface.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

For the vehicle or for the donor parts ? Is it not in Sedre ?
Simon

1978 CX 2400
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I don't have SEDRE. :shock: The Berlingo is butchered to (theoretically) provide the required feeds to the donor parts.

Can't account for (in my diagrams) yellow plug pins 17, 20, 25 or black plug pins 3, 6, 7, 9, 11, 15. I know that one or more of these controls the interior lights.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Ahh, I just assumed you had Sedre when tackling a project of this scale... :shock: :twisted:

I should be able to help then, I can export any wiring diagrams you need from Sedre into nice high resolution readable/printable PDF's of small file size.

Do you need diagrams for the Berlingo, the donor Xantia, or both ? (I'm guessing both, to give you the context to help splice them together) Just let me know which specific diagrams you need, as its a fairly manual process not something where I can hit "export all"...

Of either/both cars I'd need the following details to be sure to have the right versions of diagrams:

For the Berlingo: Is it Berlingo, Berlingo II VU, or Berlingo Private Vehicle (B9) ?
Xantia you said was S2.

RPO number, (doesn't have to be exact if you don't know it for the donor) Body Shape, LHD/RHD (I'm assuming RHD ;) ) Engine Type Code, gearbox, with/without ESP and or ABS.

PM me the details if you prefer.

Depending on the diagrams you need I might have a couple more questions for variant details when I get through that far...
Simon

1978 CX 2400
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Well, bugger me drunk - it runs! :mrgreen:

The Lexia - CPH issue was a real "gotcha". In the Berlingo, the immobiliser dialogue is via diagnostic pin 11 as it's considered "antitheft". In the Xantia II, it's via diagnostic pin 6. :shock: So, I dismantled the OBD plug and moved the terminal from eleven to six.

Fired up the Lexia and we had full dialogue as a Xantia. The CPH had forgotten the key, so I removed the transponder aerial, taped the keychip inside it, and reprogrammed. It worked 100% so far as the immobiliser coding was concerned.

Still no dialogue with the engine ECU, so buzzed out every pin on the ECU and tachymetric relay. For whatever reason, the main feed I'd spliced into the tachymetric relay had not power either permanently or when ignition on. A simply bypass splice and off she went! Smooth running motor; smoke free, too.

There's one remaining question about the CPH. When the doors are shut, are the telltale contacts open or closed? EG, is Pin 3 or 6 on the lock body grounded to Pin 4?
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: My Gordian Knot, Unpicked

Post by Mandrake »

In the absence of any RPO numbers of other distinguishing features, here are the relevant CPH wiring diagrams for my S2 Xantia: (RPO 7905)

CPH - Alarm:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/782 ... nciple.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/782 ... lation.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/782 ... Wiring.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CPH - Interior Lighting:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/782 ... nciple.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/782 ... lation.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/782 ... Wiring.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for whether the contacts are open or closed, the boot and bonnet switches are normally closed switches that are then open circuit when pressed when the boot/bonnet are closed, so I would think the doors would be the same. (Makes sense too for the switch to be open circuit when the car is parked to minimise battery drain)

Pin numbering is not quite what you suggest - for rear doors there is only a door open/closed switch which operates both the alarm and the interior lighting, pin 3 is ground, pin 1 is switched. (Presumably open circuit when the door is shut)

For the front doors there is one switch for open/closed for the interior lights and one for locked/unlocked for the central locking.

For front door switches pin 4 is grounded, pin 6 is the door open/closed switch which presumably is open circuit when the door is closed. Pin 5 appears to be the lock/unlock switch contact as its shown in the alarm diagram.

Anyway the wiring diagrams are above so you can probably figure it out better than me... :)
Simon

1978 CX 2400