Welded Spheres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Welded Spheres

Post by addo »

A handful of pictures. I paid about £100 to my local bike engineer, to sate my curiosity about the insides of these things.

What you see firstly, is the base of the spheres. They have a lip which locates against the lower shell half inside the sphere; the outer perimeter is then automatically welded by two TIG tips at once - they rotate 180° opposed.

Note the different through holes - the small holes are XM Hydractive, the larger ones Xantia non-Hydractive.

On the "face" side we turned off the swaging to release the damping blocks. As per adjustable damper spheres, there are a variety of washer configurations. Without pulling one right apart, it appears the fluid passages may also vary in diameter.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

To further address the question of "Why spend a hundred squid on dead spheres?" I intend to tap a couple for pressure gauges; one way of assessing system pressure leakages, and also to ultimately make a suite of adjustable stops for Dees and rear struts generally with hardwearing polymer snubbers backed by adjustable length 12mm threaded bar via a tapped thread and external locknuts.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Welded Spheres

Post by CitroJim »

Did you see any way in which new diaphragms might be installed in these Adam?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I didn't specifically go looking for that. :oops: The sphere tops went to the pikeys.

Judging by the weld penetration, it would be 50/50 whether you could get the hemispheres separated without excessively weakening the join area. That is possibly a question for Mackie or JPAT as converter sectioning/rewelding isn't a million years away from sphere work. Ben did say upon machining these pieces, that the bead was noticeably harder than the two parts.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re:

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote:That is possibly a question for Mackie or JPAT as converter sectioning/rewelding isn't a million years away from sphere work.
That's exactly what I was thinking :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...