Lexia (diagbox) help please... C5 Mk1 2.2

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oneday
My Cars:

Re: Lexia (diagbox) help please... C5 Mk1 2.2

Post by oneday »

it asked for the lights to be on but yes it connected with no problem and carried out all the functions you would expect. give jim a ring hes a nice guy and will help you and give advice free of charge and i think give a discount now to fcf members. there is also a money back garantee if it doesnt work. he offered me a refund because it wouldnt work on my w7 operating system but i just put it on a xp machine instead.
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

wideboyno1 wrote:Thanks for taking the time Mandrake,very informative.

Especially interested in the Terminal box section being 'without' and the Presence of measurement card being unchecked.These are exactly as they appear on my clone.However,my indes kit does have a tick at the measurement option and in the terminal box reads something along the lines of 252 link..... (can't quite remember exactly).However,yours and others obviously work with those settings so no reason why mine shouldn't.
As far as I know the "terminal box" is a large electrical breakout box which you can use to measure various signals within the wiring harness of the car - for example on my auto Xantia I think you can use that breakout box to connect between the gearbox and the gearbox ECU so that those signals can be directly measured and tested. I've seen reference to the breakout box in the Citroen troubleshooting information. This is a separate function to the connection to the normal diagnostic socket under the dashboard which talks to the various ECU's over serial bus connections.

I'm not aware of any clone versions of the breakout box, so its a feature clone Lexia users don't make use of. Likewise there is a basic oscilloscope / multimeter feature in the Lexia software that requires a measurement interface - again a different box to the diagnostic socket interface, and I haven't seen any clone versions of that either. (Not that its really needed as its just a very basic digital scope and multimeter that can be duplicated elsewhere)
I have read that there are apparently 'b' and 'c' variants of the clone so maybe Easydiagnostics are selling the 'c' variety.Soon to find out though,going to order one tomorrow from there.Not sure whether best to phone first and explain whats been going on or just plump for it.I notice that his ebay ads actually make reference to the fact that his clones DO work on C5s and 307s,whereas other sellers sometimes miss C5 of the list of supported vehicles so sure there shouldn't be any problems.
Given the subtle problem you've had with your one I think it would be worth phoning first and asking him if he is aware of the issue you've had and whether that problem exists or not with his boxes. I talked to him on the phone before ordering mine and found him very helpful and knowledgeable.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

oneday wrote:it asked for the lights to be on but yes it connected with no problem and carried out all the functions you would expect. give jim a ring hes a nice guy and will help you and give advice free of charge and i think give a discount now to fcf members. there is also a money back garantee if it doesnt work. he offered me a refund because it wouldnt work on my w7 operating system but i just put it on a xp machine instead.
When I said I was a FCF member he gave me a £10 discount if I paid directly through paypal (to his email address) instead of buying through the ebay listing. I got a paypal receipt by email.

BTW DickieG has his running under Windows 7 (not sure whether 32 bit or 64 bit) so it must be possible at least for some Windows 7 machines...
Simon

1978 CX 2400
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Mandrake wrote:BTW DickieG has his running under Windows 7 (not sure whether 32 bit or 64 bit) so it must be possible at least for some Windows 7 machines...
Yes works a treat no problems whatsoever, 32 bit in my instance and it works on C5's and Pug 307's.

Re breakout the breakout box there are two manual versions (older version/small, newer/large) plus the automatic one built into the base station of Lexia 2, I sold the small manual version but still have the other two, you do of course also need the breakout harness for the relevant ecu you are testing.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Mandrake wrote: It might be worth you checking this ill-named thread:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=41720" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It actually grew into a bit of a Diagbox install and troubleshooting thread. (I wish DickieG would rename the thread. :lol: )
Done :-D
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
wideboyno1
My Cars:

Post by wideboyno1 »

Thanks again guys for all your advice.

Will give him a ring in the morning then and discuss it with him but to be honest from what has been said i think his kit will do the job perfectly.A discount however small is always welcome and does rather reinforce the general feeling this chap is a good 'un.

As for windows 7 that would be an added bonus but to be honest i've set my new laptop up to have XP,Win 7 and Win 8 images so can change between them in a matter of minutes.Probably be better off sticking with the XP image i think for Diagbox/Lexia.

Will of course update with progress...........

Cheers,
wideboyno1
My Cars:

Post by wideboyno1 »

SUCCESS!! :)

Received another unit from Jim at easydiagnostics this morning and am now able to read both my 2.2 C5 and my dads 2.0 car in full.

So to anyone reading this thread either now or in the future be warned..the chinese clones do not fully support the C5

Thanks to all for the advice but i do have one more little query.Now i'm able to get into the 'injection' ecu i can obviously read faults and delete them but i noticed today that when it comes to the deleting part Lexia came up with the following.......

"Before erasing the fault(s) an after-sales zone must be completed.21 after-sales zones has/have already been memorised for a maximum of 50"

Now as there were no faults left to clear and i was just having a play with my new toy i didn't proceed (in case i used another one up!) but do wonder now what happens when you get to 50? Are you then not able to clear any more faults or do you then have the option to overwrite previous after-sales zones?.I couldn't see any way to do this though.I was actually quite shocked to see 21 already there but when highlighting them only a few gave any additional info such as mileage it occured at etc so not sure if there are 21 genuine entries or a previous owner/garage has been experimenting.I'm lead to believe the actual reason my anti-pollution fault comes up occasionally is because of a faulty sensor suppplying the wrong information to the egr valve.....my inde recorded the actual fault as 'Exhaust Gas Recycling : Air flow greater than reported'.Apparently there are 3 or 4 sensors at the right hand rear of the engine bay that send info to the egr valve and one of those is playing up.Anyway,it will get done eventually especially as this car is a keeper but for now will be happy to clear the fault every 2 weeks or so as it comes up as the car drives spot on with no obvious troubles although the engine and service light come on.I do now wonder though what will happen if these entries reach the 50 mark.Will i actually be able to clear them then?

Once again,thanks for all the advice so far,very much appreciated.

The upside now though is as i've got a fully working Lexia i can now help out anyone local who needs it.

Cheers,
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

wideboyno1 wrote:SUCCESS!! :)

Received another unit from Jim at easydiagnostics this morning and am now able to read both my 2.2 C5 and my dads 2.0 car in full.

So to anyone reading this thread either now or in the future be warned..the chinese clones do not fully support the C5
Excellent! :) At least now we know that Jim's units don't have this particular problem, you're not the first person to report this exact issue with C5 injection ECU's with Lexia's from sources other than easydiagnostics on ebay.

Just to point out though, the units that Jim sells are also Chinese clones (all Lexia's that you buy through unofficial channels are...) but not all of the Chinese clones are the same, they might look the same but there are differences in hardware/firmware as well as supplied Diagbox software. (Jim seems to have done his homework on which one to source) It also could just be that your old one was faulty. Whatever the cause you now have a known good one. :)

By the way what version of Diagbox did you upgrade to since there are updaters to 6.22 on the DVD, and what Lexia version and interface firmware version do you have on the software version screen - just for future reference for anyone having this same issue...

Thanks to all for the advice but i do have one more little query.Now i'm able to get into the 'injection' ecu i can obviously read faults and delete them but i noticed today that when it comes to the deleting part Lexia came up with the following.......

"Before erasing the fault(s) an after-sales zone must be completed.21 after-sales zones has/have already been memorised for a maximum of 50"
I've seen the same on the only C5 that I ran a Lexia session on, but I don't get it on my Xantia. I went ahead and cleared it but I don't know what happens when you reach the maximum. Hopefully a C5 owner who knows will reply...
Simon

1978 CX 2400
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Pleased to hear all is happy now :-D

There's been discussion in the past about what happens when 50 is passed and I believe the conclusion was that it would roll over back to one and all would be happy...

I can't recall any reports that once 50 is reached the ECU goes into a terminal sulk but with the very latest ones who knows?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wideboyno1
My Cars:

Post by wideboyno1 »

Thanks guys,relieved to know it was a case of faulty hardware and not me being a plank or even worse a knackered ecu on the car.

I actually spoke to Jim yesterday and he told me that his units come from Germany and not China although i'm not sure whether he acually meant they were made in Germany or just imported from there.He explained the importance of setting Maj_com to 'false' which i was doing anyway as his units come with v4.2.4 and are apparently digitally signed.He said that he knows this version works so why bother to update to anything else.He's got a point really!

My dvd was little different.I originally followed all the enclosed instructions to the letter and ended up at v6.32 of Diagbox which sadly threw up an error at the starting Lexia section along the lines of card communication error.I now realise this may have just been a case of having to pull the usb out and replace but in my haste i went back to my ghost image of Xp and started again! I made my own .iso of the disc so i could install it quicker from the hdd and let it auto run.It installed v6.01 to start with then after activation etc i rebooted.Upon first running of Diagbox it automatically went through the update process up to v6.19 which i left it at and used successfully.On the disc there are 6.01-6.26, 6.26-6.28, 6.28-6.30, 6.30-6.31 and 6.31-6.32. I am planning to install them all and see how i get on.I don't anticipate there being any problems as long as i remember this time to take out/insert the usb cable in the correct places.

To be honest CitroJim a terminal sulk (nice phrase!) is what i feared so am obviously anxious not to get anywhere near the 50 mark.There may even be an option somewhere else to clear it all but only having really got to grips with it today i've still got a lot of exploring to do.Already satisfied my childish urges by watching the instrument panel needles dance,turning on/off cooling fans and playing with windows :) That's just to start!
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

Just for reference my 2004 C5 is on 16 zones, about 5 created in the past year, so you seem to be about on par with mine :) Mine has a number of zones with false information in (not by me), but someone seems to have sometimes entered in e.g. 5 into the mileage, or none at all, so I'm guessing it's not really relied upon (over here at least).
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
wideboyno1
My Cars:

Post by wideboyno1 »

Thats good to know Ben,i suspect thats all it is that someone has been experimenting.Still not sure about getting anywhere near the 50 mark but sure by then i'd have stopped being tight and changed the sensor at fault!
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I think you'll find the after sales service zones are just somewhere for fault codes, mileage etc to be logged semi-permanently during dealer servicing while still under warranty.

Normal fault codes once cleared are gone forever, the service zone allows them to be recorded along with mileage etc so there is some kind of record of what faults occured between each service and at what mileages those services were done. Thus before you're allowed to clear the faults they have to be logged to a zone.

Once you run out of zones it may just stop logging zones and revert back to simple fault code logging and clearing as per older cars like the Xantia. Thus no permanent record of fault codes. Since I think its only there to provide dealers a history of previous faults and service mileage intervals, once its out of warranty its probably superfluous...useful, but not necessary :)
Simon

1978 CX 2400
wideboyno1
My Cars:

Post by wideboyno1 »

Looks like you're spot on Mandrake.Had another play today and test that v6.32 was working correctly and found this........
ecu50-2.JPG
So it would seem that once the magical 50 has been reached you can still erase faults but just not log them anymore.Think i'm going to be learning more and more every time i connect this up now.
NIce to see Diagbox 6.32 actually working when i know others have had problems with the higher versions.Probably never use it for anything other than mine and familys cars but nice to know if change for a newer car i can use it on that as well.Was surprised to see the DS4 and 5 in there.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Well there you go my educated guess wasn't too far off :)

Encouraged to hear that 6.32 is working for you, especially on Windows XP, I'm going to try again to update mine. I emailed Jim and he advised that there are updates linked in the members section of his website which I have downloaded but not had time to install, although they only seem to go to 6.31...are you sure 6.32 was on the DVD, the blurb on Jim's website says the DVD goes up to 6.31.

Because I'm on 6.24 and the updates go 6.01->6.22, 6.22->6.28, 6.28->6.30 and 6.30->6.31 I'm going to have to uninstall and re-install to get back to 6.22...
Simon

1978 CX 2400