Project lowrider

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Re: Project lowrider

Post by Stewart(oily) »

lankytim wrote:Sorry if i've missed it, but if you lower the suspension using the interior control does it raise the wheels off the ground?

By the looks if it I would say it probably digs a hole :wink:
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
Jeth
My Cars:

Post by Jeth »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:It is not that we hate the car, more that we hate the way the safety aspect is taking a back seat. If it could be done safely, you would not get so much criticism.
Well you'll just have to live with it for now. I'd appreciate some constructive critisism, other than what you all been saying few pages.
lankytim wrote:Sorry if i've missed it, but if you lower the suspension using the interior control does it raise the wheels off the ground?
No, That's what it looks in lowest position. Driving height is about 3cm higher (or would you rather 1 inch? ) If i put it in "raised drive height" or what you call it, it's quite near to stock BX height.
BX 16V -89 "lowrider" , Xantia HDi -99, Visa 14TRS -86, 2CV -71 ("daddy loaners" : Dyane -74, DS Super -72, C5 2.0HDi -07, 2CV Mixte -62, 2CV4 -72)
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I wonder if Taffys' idea could be worth a look. Rather than rings and some bolts, would it be possible to (in effect) raise the wing where the strut goes, so that the strut mounts under the (new) wing. The way I visualise it is to have a tube, with an outer flare at the bottom, and an inner flare at the top. You would need to widen the original strut holes (and drill new securing holes) for the tube to go through, and then the strut would mount in the upper inner flare (in the same way as if it were in the wing, the way Citroen designed). The tube would need to be wide enough to allow for the lateral movement of the struts as the wheels are turned, but it would not need to be very long to produce the effect you are after.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CGATCX25GTITURBO
Location: IN FRONT OF THE LAP TOP Residing in Hull, East Yorks
My Cars:

Post by CGATCX25GTITURBO »

Jeth wrote:
Hell Razor5543 wrote:It is not that we hate the car, more that we hate the way the safety aspect is taking a back seat. If it could be done safely, you would not get so much criticism.
Well you'll just have to live with it for now. I'd appreciate some constructive critisism, other than what you all been saying few pages.
No, That's what it looks in lowest position. Driving height is about 3cm higher (or would you rather 1 inch? ) If i put it in "raised drive height" or what you call it, it's quite near to stock BX height.
What critisism could be constructive? tell us what you would like to hear? Maybe these guys will give you a more fair appraisal
Modified Car lovers
Neil aka CGAT
1986 CX25 GTI TURBO 1 SERIES 2 'CGAT'
1998 XANTIA 19TD ESTATE
1987 BX19 GTI 8V
2012 Citroen DS3
1997 600 Bandit
2000 ZX12R from new
1989 CX GTI Turbo 62k miles in a barn since 2001, project started 2023.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Jeth wrote:
Well if you bodge something that's inherently unsafe, and post it here, then what do you expect? However nice it looks, the fact is, it's dangerous.
Jeth
My Cars:

Post by Jeth »

I have enough forums, no need for more.

Guess i'll leave you to be then. I'll be staying on forums where people actually have ideas to do better/new ideas

You're the only ones that have a problem with strut tops, many enthusiast/ professionals have looked under my bonnet and all i've heard is "thats how i thought it should be done"
BX 16V -89 "lowrider" , Xantia HDi -99, Visa 14TRS -86, 2CV -71 ("daddy loaners" : Dyane -74, DS Super -72, C5 2.0HDi -07, 2CV Mixte -62, 2CV4 -72)
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Jeth wrote:I have enough forums, no need for more.

Guess i'll leave you to be then. I'll be staying on forums where people actually have ideas to do better/new ideas

You're the only ones that have a problem with strut tops, many enthusiast/ professionals have looked under my bonnet and all i've heard is "thats how i thought it should be done"
Yes, I know the FCF is full of people with sense and experience of hydropneumatic systems and engineering them. Shame your "professionals" and "enthusiasts" don't seem to share it. My wife is an MX5 "enthusiast". I wouldn't let her check the oil..
Jeth
My Cars:

Post by Jeth »

Im a citroen mechanic in authorized (and finlands one of the most respected) citroen dealer, i've lived with hydraulic citroens since 1989 (when i was born........) so i can say im not that stupid that i'd kill myself with unsafe stuff.

I do know that it can be done better, but i've driven it about 10000km since putting them and i've checked that they do hole.

It did pass inspection aswell (finnish MOT).

So please, before you start judgin me, get to know who i am and what i do. Im not just a normal young kid who barely can keep a screwdriver in hand.
taffy
My Cars:

Post by taffy »

not doubting ur work mate i just wouldnt trust my life with it if the car was put under extreames like emergency brakeing.. turning....looks sweet and glad uve done such a nice job of a much loved car mate....but u wont get much praise here when most are very good engineers and mechanics and dont do 'risky' things...show us a drawing of a solution and u will get alot more respect :)
99 silver 2.1td exclusive xantia
99 red 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia..
00 black 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
99 blue 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
06 silver 1.6 hdi vtr c5
57 blue C4 GP 1.6hdi exclusive
08 black C4 GP 2.0hdi vtr
Jeth
My Cars:

Post by Jeth »

Well it's gonna stay that way atleast this summer.

Next winter will be interesting in many ways.

Here's a list that should/considering doing

- Change engine to XU10J2TE (we have a activa xantia going for spares)
- Clean engine bay (and fix top strut mountings)
- Change rear arches to "normal" ones so I can get wider wheels [(current max is 7,5" with really tight fit..) i know it ruins it in some way, but i'd like to get a proper wheel fitment]
- Fix interior more (or even new fabrics if i can afford it)
- New sound system

And even if im crazy enough, i could try to mod activa system in it.. i havent measured anything yet, but would be different atleast ^^

So if you can, stop crying about those top mounts, i will change them when i get there.
Jeth
My Cars:

Post by Jeth »

Northern_Mike wrote:Yes, I know the FCF is full of people with sense and experience of hydropneumatic systems and engineering them. Shame your "professionals" and "enthusiasts" don't seem to share it. My wife is an MX5 "enthusiast". I wouldn't let her check the oil..
You'd better not start judging people who live few thousand kilometers away.. Im not judgin FCF knowledge, but you..... you lost some credibility with that comment. It gives an idea that FCF people can't be wrong. :D

Im very sorry for sharing this project with this forum
Last edited by Jeth on 19 Jun 2013, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.
taffy
My Cars:

Post by taffy »

thats more like it mate :)...looking forward to see what u do :)
99 silver 2.1td exclusive xantia
99 red 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia..
00 black 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
99 blue 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
06 silver 1.6 hdi vtr c5
57 blue C4 GP 1.6hdi exclusive
08 black C4 GP 2.0hdi vtr
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Jeth, did you read my previous post? I think that Taffy and I may have offered a positive idea that could overcome the (potential) safety issue.

I know that I have said previously that she does look good, and I know you have put a lot of time and effort into your BX (and still are). As far as I can tell, the only concern that people are having is with the safety aspect. If you were to read around that issue, I am sure you will see that most people have commented on how well you are doing on all the other aspects. It is just that we are concerned with what could (not WILL, but could) happen if the struts become detached, especially at speed. If you look elsewhere on the forum, you will see similar concerns have been raised over the struts of the XM and the Xantia.

I like your plans for her future, and I wish you well with it.

EDIT; I don't know if you have read this post, but this is partly why people are concerned;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=43269" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My apologies if you have read it and think I am harping on. This problem is (in part) down to a design fault on the XM and Xantia that does not (to the best of my knowledge) exist on the BX.

SECOND EDIT; I wonder if (barring the cost, which I don't know) titanium plates could protect the parts that are getting worn down? They might also produce a nice sparks effect!
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 19 Jun 2013, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Jeth
My Cars:

Post by Jeth »

Srtrut tops rusting is a common problem in finland aswell. Thats why i looked my warehouse for the best ones. Usually bx tops have been just noisy (don know the word for it in english)
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

What do you mean by noisy? Do you mean that they transmit more road noise than (for example) an Xantia, or that you get more vibration through the steering?
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+