Project lowrider

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jeth
My Cars:

Re: Project lowrider

Post by Jeth »

citroenxm wrote:you might as well just of rotated the height correctors on the anti roll bars SOOOOOOOOOOO much less hassle..
The poing of my whole build is to get it low, with original suspension you get about 12cm ground clearance in lowest position, which is far from good for me.

Some of you were concerned about driveability, it handles well.
citroenxm wrote:i wonder what sort of mess the xantia hdi you own might end up in..
Xantia is my daily driver/winter car, so it's not getting any mods. Apart from ICE.
BX 16V -89 "lowrider" , Xantia HDi -99, Visa 14TRS -86, 2CV -71 ("daddy loaners" : Dyane -74, DS Super -72, C5 2.0HDi -07, 2CV Mixte -62, 2CV4 -72)
CGATCX25GTITURBO
Location: IN FRONT OF THE LAP TOP Residing in Hull, East Yorks
My Cars:

Post by CGATCX25GTITURBO »

Jeth wrote:
citroenxm wrote:you might as well just of rotated the height correctors on the anti roll bars SOOOOOOOOOOO much less hassle..
The poing of my whole build is to get it low, with original suspension you get about 12cm ground clearance in lowest position, which is far from good for me.

Some of you were concerned about driveability, it handles well.
citroenxm wrote:i wonder what sort of mess the xantia hdi you own might end up in..
Xantia is my daily driver/winter car, so it's not getting any mods. Apart from ICE.
From an engineering point of view, it looks potentially dangerous as generally cars sit on their supension, in your application the strut is above the shell. Just my thoughts of course.
Neil aka CGAT
1986 CX25 GTI TURBO 1 SERIES 2 'CGAT'
1998 XANTIA 19TD ESTATE
1987 BX19 GTI 8V
2012 Citroen DS3
1997 600 Bandit
2000 ZX12R from new
1989 CX GTI Turbo 62k miles in a barn since 2001, project started 2023.
Jeth
My Cars:

Post by Jeth »

Yeah, it's just thath there isnt too much options for how to lower it.
BX 16V -89 "lowrider" , Xantia HDi -99, Visa 14TRS -86, 2CV -71 ("daddy loaners" : Dyane -74, DS Super -72, C5 2.0HDi -07, 2CV Mixte -62, 2CV4 -72)
CGATCX25GTITURBO
Location: IN FRONT OF THE LAP TOP Residing in Hull, East Yorks
My Cars:

Post by CGATCX25GTITURBO »

Jeth wrote:Yeah, it's just thath there isnt too much options for how to lower it.
The struts ripped out of the mountings look how slammed it looks now. Sorry I killed your family in my cool looking car :(

I'm all for modifying cars but saftey must come first, in this case, the only way... isn't the safest way. Again just my opinion. If you trailer it to shows ETC then thats fine but driving it on the road could be lethal. In one of your pictures the bonnet if lifted in the middle 'this is due to the strut height?' did the hinges crack the bonnet, if not in time they will, as the struts move in around in normal operation.

Would removing and re welding the nib at the bottom of the strut have the same effect? Dropping it into the hub so it didn't touch the drive shaft? I'm not telling you to do this, as I wouldn't know what implications that would have. The strut could be thicker in the clamping area it is limited at.
Neil aka CGAT
1986 CX25 GTI TURBO 1 SERIES 2 'CGAT'
1998 XANTIA 19TD ESTATE
1987 BX19 GTI 8V
2012 Citroen DS3
1997 600 Bandit
2000 ZX12R from new
1989 CX GTI Turbo 62k miles in a barn since 2001, project started 2023.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Well the last laugh won't be you. do some research on strut tops tearing away on xantia then see how you feel when you bonnet is snapped assuming its plastic because your bolts have sheard through shock or rust...
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

My concern isn't just with the modified bolt/spacer arrangement, its also the fact that the strut top mountings on BX and Xantia's just aren't that strong even from new. They rely somewhat on the cushioning of the suspension to isolate the rubber blocks and mounting frame from sudden shocks. When you hit a sudden bump or climb out of a sudden rise in the road most of the shock is absorbed by the gas springing.

Lower the suspension right down to the bump stops or use very hard (low gas) spheres and the dynamic stresses on the strut top increase dramatically to the point where even unmodified ones may fail prematurely. There is some evidence to suggest that the strut tops on Hydractive Xantia's fail earlier than non Hydractive, which is probably due to the hard mode stiffening up the suspension during cornering putting much more dynamic stress on the strut top. Likewise allowing spheres to run low on gas can be the final straw that pushes a failing strut top to let go.

Basically the strut top design wasn't intended for and isn't suitable for safe lowering or very stiff springing rates. It's nowhere near as mechanically strong as the double wishbone design of a CX/GS which could safely have the ride height lowered. (At least without mechanical damage, handling would still be ruined)
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Jeth mate, it sounds like you need to pack your toothbrush and hide away in the Ecuadorean embassy.
Jeth
My Cars:

Re:

Post by Jeth »

addo wrote:Jeth mate, it sounds like you need to pack your toothbrush and hide away in the Ecuadorean embassy.
:D
Northern_Mike

Re:

Post by Northern_Mike »

addo wrote:Jeth mate, it sounds like you need to pack your toothbrush and hide away in the Ecuadorean embassy.
Nah, at least Jeth is prepared to admit to what he's done ;-)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

what is the point in having a hydraulic citroen and do away with what its about,

maybe you should chuck away the citroen suspension and swap it for pug 405, then lower that,

also lowering a cars suspension that nuch has got to alter the caster camber angle, which will seriously alter its handling ability,

try driving a 2CV with the suspension higher or lower than it is supposed to be, they are very dangerous and dont handle at all well
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I've done a bit of "homework" lately by way of watching YouTube clips of car accidents, as seen through dash cameras.

Yet am I to see one where an accident has definitely been due to a modified car. Most are simple incompetence; blind spots, excessive speed, stupidity in driving, poor loading. This tallies with my own experiences both as progenitor and recipient of impacts. I like to remind people that the old adage of "drive to the conditions" includes the condition of your vehicle!

Jeth
My Cars:

Post by Jeth »

citronut wrote:what is the point in having a hydraulic citroen and do away with what its about,

maybe you should chuck away the citroen suspension and swap it for pug 405, then lower that,
Why do people install air suspensions to cars? To lower it and to get it comfortable when wanted.

Whats the point of having 405 suspension when you can have hydraulics?

Im starting to feel that most of you think that if my citroen isn't comfortable, then i should drive something else :D

For christs sake i've modified a BX, which is REALLY suprising at my country and especially at my age (23), i've made it look like "me", yet you want me to swap it for a peugeot?

I really thought that people would've liked to see a BX which has been made something different, especially on a french car forum... Atleast i've kept it clean, and im not going to do any huge fiberglass bumpers or anything, keeping it somewhat original, inside and out, just lower. Why is that so bad?

try driving a 2CV with the suspension higher or lower than it is supposed to be
Been there done that.
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

i think the main concern is the way you have modified the front strut tops to lower it. it seems the general consensus is its not safe and you shold rethink it. it would also help with the bonnet line aswell. these are realy knowledgeable people that are commenting on this with years of citroen experiance, i dont think its a matter of not likeing what you have done its a safety concern.
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I hear he painted his letterbox the wrong colour, too.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hello Jeth,

I think it is safe to say all of the concerns are safety related. The design of the BX front strut tops is such that they support the weight of the front of the car. In their original configuration the weight is spread evenly around the bottom flange of the strut top, and the flange sits under the front wing, protruding into the engine bay. However, with your configuration the weight is being carried by six bolts. If they fail your car will drop, (and probably smash the sump) and the bonnet will be destroyed. This is the minimum that WILL happen. At speed the consequences are unthinkable. The link I have added shows a Xantia Activa that had a strut top fail;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=42137" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think that (barring the safety concerns) what you have done is very nice, and has re-vitalised a nice car. The problem is only due to the strut mounting. Please be careful.

James
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!