TPMS & MOT

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oneday
My Cars:

Re: TPMS & MOT

Post by oneday »

just get someone in your are with a lexia to do it for you look in the list of owners and pm them dealers want about £100 just to hook it up

owner locations are in the supersticky forum
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

citroenxm wrote:Dealer won't switch things off for you.. only fix them.. i asked a few years ago and it was something stupid like 80 quid an hour or something....
Bargain, IIRC my local one is £120ph, oh that's plus VAT :shock:

Yes a five minute job to turn the sensors on/off or activate new ones (if you also have the exciter tool).
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

If i recall correctly VOSA are allowing MOT testing stations to issue an advisory on Airbag warning lights and TPMS systems at the moment. They will be a fail in the near future however, a friend runs an MOT station and he recently passed our company pool car with an air bag light on as an advisory but mentioned it would be a fail next time around.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Interesting how regulations vary from country to country. When I had my 1997 S1 Xantia with airbag in New Zealand (2005-2009) it was a definite warrent of fitness (MOT) fail as early as 2005 if the air bag light didn't go through its proper on then off again sequence when the ignition was turned on.

On the S1 the air bag test light was just a tiny unlabelled LED on the actual steering wheel centre rather than a warning light on the dashboard, so almost every time I took the car in for a test I would have the tester come over to me to query where the air bag test light is - they could tell it had an airbag but couldn't find a warning light on the dashboard and therefore couldn't pass it. :roll:

The funny thing is when I'd point out the LED on the steering wheel they'd happily accept that as proof of it working despite it not being labelled or at all obvious what it was! :lol: (it was not far from the radio buttons on the steering wheel so could have been related to the radio for all they knew...)
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Fake Concern
My Cars:

Post by Fake Concern »

SaabC5 wrote:If i recall correctly VOSA are allowing MOT testing stations to issue an advisory on Airbag warning lights and TPMS systems at the moment. They will be a fail in the near future however, a friend runs an MOT station and he recently passed our company pool car with an air bag light on as an advisory but mentioned it would be a fail next time around.
Now I'm confused again. Are you saying that a 2005 car which originally had TPMS, but now has it disabled will fail the MOT or at least have an advisory? It passed with no advisories last July.
Fake Concern, Volvo C30 T5 2011
Mrs Concern, Renault Moodus 1.6 Privilege 2004
Ms Concern No1, Pug 207 1.4 2008
Ms Concern No2, Citroen C4 VTS 2007
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

it will be ok according to the aa report
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

just had a look at that aa report it seems to be an old one cant realy find anthing up to date not even on the vosa site. i think your best bet is to contact your mot station and ask them to tell you what the new rules are
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

Fake Concern wrote:
SaabC5 wrote:If i recall correctly VOSA are allowing MOT testing stations to issue an advisory on Airbag warning lights and TPMS systems at the moment. They will be a fail in the near future however, a friend runs an MOT station and he recently passed our company pool car with an air bag light on as an advisory but mentioned it would be a fail next time around.
Now I'm confused again. Are you saying that a 2005 car which originally had TPMS, but now has it disabled will fail the MOT or at least have an advisory? It passed with no advisories last July.
If the TPMS has been disabled then its not an issue, it becomes an issue when the dashboard displays a flashing light saying TPMS error, this at present will mean an advisory but will in the near future constitute a fail.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
Fake Concern
My Cars:

Post by Fake Concern »

SaabC5 wrote:
Fake Concern wrote:
If the TPMS has been disabled then its not an issue, it becomes an issue when the dashboard displays a flashing light saying TPMS error, this at present will mean an advisory but will in the near future constitute a fail.
oneday wrote:just had a look at that aa report it seems to be an old one cant realy find anthing up to date not even on the vosa site. i think your best bet is to contact your mot station and ask them to tell you what the new rules are
Thanks for both of the answers. My TPMS is not disabled as such, but there are normal valves fitted. After about an hour of driving I get the warning "tyre pressures not monitored" for a few seconds. If I can find someone near me with Lexia who will do it, i will have it disabled. If the sensors weren't so expensive I'd re fit it anyway as I thought it was useful on my last C4 and it worked well.
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

there are a few people around sussex with lexia if no joy arrange to meet someone at one of the shows as i did untill i bought my own. or if you have the cash you could buy your own very usefull tool to have.
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

Looks like I was correct in the 1st place :D the tpms systems are very good despite all of you comments to the contrary. Just remember tht when you have a tyre fitted that a normal valve is replaced, so an electronic one is expected to survive far longer, in a very hostile environment.
The only thing you are really complaining about is the cost, so now they are compulsory the price will drop massively, like the abs sensors have.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Fake Concern
My Cars:

Post by Fake Concern »

Lighty wrote:Looks like I was correct in the 1st place :D the tpms systems are very good despite all of you comments to the contrary. Just remember tht when you have a tyre fitted that a normal valve is replaced, so an electronic one is expected to survive far longer, in a very hostile environment.
The only thing you are really complaining about is the cost, so now they are compulsory the price will drop massively, like the abs sensors have.
I have just had 2 new tyres (I found the old ones alarming in the way they aquaplaned in the wet-wheelspin was easy in 5th as well!). My local tyre fitter and mechanic says I do not need to worry about having the sensors if there are no warning lights on the dash (which there aren't).
@ Lighty, if the TPMS valves had not been completely removed from my C4, I would be keeping them. My previous C4 had them and they worked really well. I may re fit them if the price goes down, but a complete set plus having them activated etc doesn't seem worth it at current prices. Would cost more than I paid for the car!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

oneday wrote:bit like the spare wheel if its not with the car they cant include it in the mot.
The spare wheel/tyre is not a testable item regardless of whether it is in the car or not.