2009 Citroen C5 1.6 HDI - DIY Full Service

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Re: 2009 Citroen C5 1.6 HDI - DIY Full Service

Post by Citroenmad »

oneday wrote: engine oil flush.
A very good recommendation. However, as has been said, be wary of this on the 1.6hdi. If it has frequent services then it should be fine. If not then the sludge around the engine will become dislodged and find its way into the fine oil strainer which leads to the turbo, that's we're this engine develops its turbo eating image from.

I had a 1.6hdi C4 Coupe to service a while back. It had not been serviced for three years and about 35,000 miles. The oil was black and very dry feeling to the touch, it was awful. I didn't flush it but changed the oil and filter and sent it back to its owner for a month. I then put in a forte engine flush in, Drained the engine oil and replaced the filter again. It was black once again but the new oil stayed much cleaner after a run. It's gone over two years without an oil change again and it's still going. How it has not ruined its turbo I don't know!

I think at one point there was a memo circulating garages/dealers about not flushing the 1.6hdi. Similar storey with the 1.8turbo petrol vw engine.

If your flushing, I'd recommend forte. Few products have the lubrication that it does and I would certainly not drive a car with any other flush in the engine but forte. Products which recommend only idle speed, you really have to wonder if its a good thing, you will never get all of the flush out ...
Last edited by Citroenmad on 28 Dec 2012, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

good info chris had not seen that anywhere after reading that i dont think i would use it on the 1.6 hdi.
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I think there might be a mention of it on the honest John forum. I've seen the memo which went around, it's to cover their backs really as that engine was on too long servicing to begin with. I Maintain that regular servicing, with flushing and removal of the fine gause and the 1.6hdi is a brilliant engine.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

possibly is a good engine but after some of the things ive read on hear i think i would only have one from new or with a realy good service history so that i knew all about it.
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

oneday wrote:possibly is a good engine but after some of the things ive read on hear i think i would only have one from new or with a realy good service history so that i knew all about it.
Yes, for me to have one it would need to have had annual services or every 10k at most. If your thinking of a 1.6hdi C5 I would go for the 2.0hdi 138. Cracking engine, a real improvement on the already very good 2.0 110 HDi. More economical too and with its long gearing its not far off 1.6 economy. Slightly higher tax but there are very few reports of problems with the engine.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

thats the sort of engine i like reliable and economical. i was converted to the hdi 2.0hdi engine after getting a peougeot expert as a works van did 140000 in a year and never needed anything but a normal sevice.
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Take it you don't need a service history stamp?
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Citroenmad wrote:If your thinking of a 1.6hdi C5 I would go for the 2.0hdi 138. Cracking engine, a real improvement on the already very good 2.0 110 HDi. More economical too and with its long gearing its not far off 1.6 economy...... but there are very few reports of problems with the engine.
Anyone know if/when the DMF for these engines was modified ? I had mine on my '09 C5 replaced under warranty :shock: at the start of the year (actually think it was an oil seal that had gone taking out the clutch and overheating the DMF), but my father in law has just had his replaced on his Pug 309CC with only 30k on it. The garage that replaced it had to check with Peugeot it was right as it looked different.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
spako

Post by spako »

Completed today:

- engine flush using Wynn's Engine Flush for Diesels
- new oil (Total Quartz Ineo ECS 5W30)
- oil filter (Guttmann)
- fuel filter (Delphi)
- air filter (Purflux)
- new wiper blades
- tyres pressure adjusted
- service indicator reset

To do tomorrow:

- fuel system cleaner (Millers Diesel Power Ecomax)
- brake fluid change (Pagid Dot 4)
- coolant change (Pro from Citroen dealer, blue)
- vacuum & wash

Did I miss anything? Any other recommendations?

I've also removed the air filter housing, cleaned it and re-mounted properly as it was hanging loose which was causing loud noise when setting off/accelerating.

Is there any web site with step by step DIY tutorials like changing coolant etc?
2011 Renault Megane Sport Tourer 1.5 dCi 110 Expression+ Silver
den169
My Cars:

Post by den169 »

Iv'e not used flush oil in a car for years,Regular oil changes should be enough.Both engines and oil are not like they used to be 20 years ago.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

den169 wrote:Iv'e not used flush oil in a car for years,Regular oil changes should be enough.Both engines and oil are not like they used to be 20 years ago.
I'm with you on that, they're firmly in the snake oil category if you want my opinion. I am yet to see any *independent* proof that they make a blind bit of difference. I'm not talking about the guff on the maker's website or Citroen's or another manufacturers recommendation that you should have it done at their service so they can charge you £30 for the pleasure.... I mean proper, independent proof that they work. Anyone?
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Ex Lubrication engineer. The Lubricant company and Mobil.
Your engine is subject to wear constantly and the minute particles of metal that are created, are not removed by an oil change. There will be a build up over several changes that can cause damage to your engine. You would be surprised at the contamination of newly changed oil when samples are sent to the lab. It's not for me to advise how you spend your money during a service, but after years of oil changes, both in gearboxes and engines, and in high speed CNC machine centres with multiple oils, I prefer to have the system flushed during oil change. In my opinion manufacturers rarely advise this procedure as a money making exercise as the big players earn more from heavy industry in a week, than they earn from the motor industry in a year. It's a matter of personal choice, but for £30 worth of flushing oil, it ain't worth possible damage.
Rick.

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

qprdude wrote:Ex Lubrication engineer. The Lubricant company and Mobil.
Your engine is subject to wear constantly and the minute particles of metal that are created, are not removed by an oil change. There will be a build up over several changes that can cause damage to your engine. You would be surprised at the contamination of newly changed oil when samples are sent to the lab. It's not for me to advise how you spend your money during a service, but after years of oil changes, both in gearboxes and engines, and in high speed CNC machine centres with multiple oils, I prefer to have the system flushed during oil change. In my opinion manufacturers rarely advise this procedure as a money making exercise as the big players earn more from heavy industry in a week, than they earn from the motor industry in a year. It's a matter of personal choice, but for £30 worth of flushing oil, it ain't worth possible damage.
So, can you supply some independent proof that flushing oils work? After all, many of my cars have made it to over 200k without being flushed. Doesn't appear to have done them any harm - both petrols and diesels.

Why would one want to run a solvent through the oil system that surely wash the oil off the bearing surfaces (as it must, if it removes stuff worse than oil), thus leaving those surfaces lacking lubrication on initial start up after a flush and oil change?

Wynns appears to say "not for use on cars with over 75,000 miles"... on the back of the tin? Why is that?
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Mate, I'm a lubrication engineer with a vast experience in all kinds of lubricants, but it's your engine, do what you want, it doesn't concern me. Your asking for proof that can never be given, other than by experience.It's a silly question really. How can you prove something works, unless you use it and the engine fails? (have you done that?) If not, then you can't prove it doesn't work.
As a lubrication engineer, I've given my opinion. You obviously don't agree, and to be honest, I don't care. You obviously have more experience than I do.
Rick.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Probably true that a regularly serviced engine would not really need an oil flush but in the case of the OP, who has found his oil to be very suspect,* I personally think that it would be beneficial in these circumstances.

I also think that qprdude is likely to be better informed on this subject than most of us.

*Oops! wrong thread. Still think it is advisable periodically though.
Last edited by myglaren on 07 Jan 2013, 22:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Thread confusion :-(