Not a good drive at all

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Re: Not a good drive at all

Post by jgra1 »

on mine the lights are bad.. but there is something wrong with the alignment.. the dips are fine, but the mains just add more light to the pool the dips create. they do nothing for forward vision and its really beginning to bug me.. will do some cheacks and changes over the weekend ...

car is also a 110 and goes quite well really.. nothing amazing but its ok...
stu9

Post by stu9 »

Ok....you say to check the lights, and i will....but how do you check the spheres

But the main thing (for me anyway) is the lack of power....it need more low down grunt, thats my main gripe
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Could just be inferior bulbs John.
Placing of the filament is crucial and cheaper bulbs are not assembled with sufficient precision.

I was going to get the highly recommended Osram Nightbreakers to replace mine but read a few reviews where they were compared to the Philips equivalent and it was said that while the light output is good the actual beam pattern is not as precise and does not light the road quite as well.
This is just subjective reviews, not a scientific test and I have no personal comparison to make, only with the bulbs I removed and I couldn't say what they might have been.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

stu9 wrote:Ok....you say to check the lights, and i will....but how do you check the spheres

But the main thing (for me anyway) is the lack of power....it need more low down grunt, thats my main gripe
Is it a 90 or a 110?

I always thought that my estate was down on power but came to it from a fairly quick Accord, everyone who tried it seemed to think it was normal.

After the tailgate was stove in and I bought the hatch, I gave it to the mechanic I use in exchange for fixing up the hatch, which was far worse.
We swapped cars after he had replaced the tailgate and he was going to do 'stuff' on mine. They had removed all the air intake and turbo hoses, cleaned them, the intercooler and MAF (it was a new MAF) and cleaned all the vacuum hoses. No parts replaced. It was almost scary how much the power was improved and how quick it was - I can't say how quick as they had managed to disable the speedo but orders of magnitude greater than while I owned it.

When mine came back, again it was transformed almost beyond recognition. Since then he has replaced the intercooler that has made a small improvement but nothing like the increase it received initially.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

thanks Steve.. yes have brought cheap bulbs before, and despite being 100W, have a crap beam pattern,,
the 110 hides its speed well.. the speedo rises quicky but you dont always get the sensation of speed as its big, soft and heavy..

grunt wise, mine will happily plod around from 1000 in most gears most of the time.. I short shift it often really.. hills do get the better of it at these revs but for everyday roads its ok,