Newbie - C5 Tourer Wheel downsizing?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xantidote
My Cars:

Re: Newbie - C5 Tourer Wheel downsizing?

Post by Xantidote »

You might want to think about the insurance issues. What size wheels were originally available/fitted to your model? Certainly understand you not wanting to stick with 19".

Apart from tyre size and profile, the tyre's load index seems to reduce as wheel diameter reduces - could this be an issue? Don't want to give insurance company any way of wriggling out of a claim, even if not your fault. Not sure how much sense you'd get out of your insurance company though - just a thought
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
pvvC5
My Cars:

Post by pvvC5 »

OK - couple of updates. I have tried to measure the front disc brakes and they are at least 300mm - quite a bit bigger than the rear.

Also decided to call a Citroen dealer in the Netherlands, working on the assumption that they had more experience with winter tyres than a London dealer (which turned out to be true). Spoke to Automobielbedrijf Van Hunnik Oss B.V. and was told that 17" will certainly fit but that he suspects that 16" won't (he would only know for sure if he was able to see the disc brakes) he suspects not though. He also felt that 16" would look terrible (less important but free advice always welcome).

I think that probably sums things up. I will go and look for 17" rims and tyres and will let everyone know if there is an issue with this (or not)
C5 iii 2.0HDi 138 Tourer Exclusive

Previous Cars: Volvo S60 T5, Renault Laguna 2.0, Alfa Romeo GT Junior 1600, Lancia Beta Coupe
Dream Cars: Citroen DS, Traction Avant
Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

Front discs on mine are 304mm, and with the 16" steel-rims they fit just fine. I think also newer 163hp HDi has option for 16" inch rim, so I´m pretty sure you have also these smaller discs. In fact here in Finland all HDi 136 models except Exclusive came with 16" steel rims as standard. Exclusive has 17" alloys for summer tires (only for looks, not because of the brakes), but usually 16" steel-rims for winter tires.

Here´s an example of original 16" alloys for C5 MK3 http://www.citroen-accessories.com/~cit ... c5-x7.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; They´re not telling what models it fit, but I´m pretty sure that they fit all models with motor under 2,2HDi.

Anyway, C5 looks better with 17" rims, and they´re not yet too uncomfortable, so if you´re willing to pay extra price, it´s up to you. ;) With our "real" winter tires the price difference between 16" and 17" is about 150-200€ / set, and because I already had 16" rims, it was easy for me to buy the smaller ones.