Service intervals 1.6 HDi 8V

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mooseshaver
My Cars:

Re: Service intervals 1.6 HDi 8V

Post by mooseshaver »

Later engines have a different oil feed filter.
No idea about anything else
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
delapoer

Post by delapoer »

I found this too:

https://www.forteuk.co.uk/ForteAdmin/Bu ... %20dv6.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

which explains a lot but I still can't see why this particular engine is so bad on turbos.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It's almost entirely the little strainer's fault apparently. Lighty is (I think) away skiing otherwise he'd have weighed in by now.

http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/showthre ... 095&page=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
delapoer

Post by delapoer »

I could see that the strainer could do the damage because once it's blocked the oil to the turbo is stopped and it wouldn't take long with no oil to kill it! It would be interesting to know how often it needs changing and if PSA recommend that it is replaced at a set interval. It would be great if that is all that is needed to stop this fault!
delapoer

Post by delapoer »

I was expecting to see instructions to replace the bolt and gauze rather than to throw the gauze away! I'd guess that the gauze was put there to do a job (protect the turbo bearings from contamination) so I wonder if it is a good idea to not have it there at all? I suppose the bolt and gauze isn't expensive so putting a new (or just cleaned) one in might be a good idea? Thanks to you all for all this information!
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

My golly - 30,000 miles, and a 15% failure rate on replacement turbos :(

Note to self: DON'T buy any car with PSA 1.6 HDI engine
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
delapoer

Post by delapoer »

I spoke to a mechanic at a local Citroen garage and he said that the only times they have seen turbo failures on these engines are when they haven't been serviced properly. He said:
1. Service every year
2. Always use the right oil
3. Always flush the engine out before refilling
4. Always make sure the oil is topped up

He reckons he has never seen a failed one that has been treated that way. In fact he said that all the failed ones had been "serviced" at non-Citroen (or Peugeot) garages.

I thought you might like to know!
coastline taxis

Post by coastline taxis »

Had trouble with a few of these.in the past. a must with these engines is the right oil if i remeber corectly it has to be a low ash/sulphur 5w30 oil and must have a flush with every oil change. ford have released a update that if the turbo fails the only way to do the job is to replace the whole engine
delapoer

Post by delapoer »

I wonder what a new engine costs? There would be no point getting anything other than a new one unless you wanted the same again.