'new' to me C5 III 138 Excl. auto...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: 'new' to me C5 III 138 Excl. auto...

Post by lexi »

Looks like a nice big bus that. Doesn't look French. I suppose the Iconic French look has gone though.

Best of luck with her.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

I had even worse damage on front spoiler when I bought my C5, two cracks around center, and the chrome trim wasn´t in it´s place as it should be. I believe the front had been in contact with hard snow or something like that. Paintshop welded and painted the center part of the spoiler along with right front wing that had nasty scratch, and it cost me around 350€. They didn´t have to detach the bumper for the job, so it wasn´t that hard to fix.
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Xantippa wrote:I had even worse damage on front spoiler when I bought my C5, two cracks around center, and the chrome trim wasn´t in it´s place as it should be. I believe the front had been in contact with hard snow or something like that. Paintshop welded and painted the center part of the spoiler along with right front wing that had nasty scratch, and it cost me around 350€. They didn´t have to detach the bumper for the job, so it wasn´t that hard to fix.
You're in the right place for hard snow!
43 years since I was last in Finland. It was blooming cold then, as we were trapped in ice off the coast and had to be rescued by two ice-breakers. Used to visit Helsinki, Kotka ,Rouma Turku and Pori regularly on Baltic Corporation ships.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

thread resurrection......

1200 miles of comfort :) , cruise set at 75, 'doofer' for the tolls, snug seats, totally effortless
averaged around 40mpg so far, fully loaded there complete with stair parts on roof, nearly fully loaded on way back less roof rails, so far so good.

think i've got my head round the goodies apart from driving from Le Mans to Dunkirk with suspension in sport mode, testament to Hydractive comfort or maybe not worth using sport at all?
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Good stuff. Sport mode required on some of the windy bits up my way,just to stop the rolling.
Rick.

old'uns
'09 X7 - gone
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

12 month & a bit 'report'.....just rolled over 100k so 20k for me, averaging 40mpg, not too bad for a 'slushbox' :)
comfortable, quiet and so far the only issues have been with the suspension which at moment is behaving 8-[ and the Pollution warning appeared a few times but again not for a while, seemed to appear after a long cruise, a slow down and then flooring it....i now take it a tad easier and seems to work?

only other niggle is the speed at which it goes into 'eco mode', really unhelpful when you're constantly in and out of the boot for work gear
....and the dog didn't like the alarm going off when left in car :oops: forgot to switch off internal sensor :lol:

only another 140k to catch up the old workhorse
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

old' uns. I had the same problem with economy mode. Almost from when I bought the car in June 2012. I saw it as some kind of Citroen glitch, and just lived with it. This winter, I had starting problems on and off, especially when it was very cold outside. The weather warmed up a bit and the car was not too bad to start, then I put it in the garage. After the first night it wouldn't start, even with a jump start from a clio battery. The suspension also started dropping as soon as the ignition was switched off.
I bit the bullet and invested in a new battery as it was still on the original French battery (2008 so 6 years old)
Got a 75Ah 720CCA battery and it's like driving a different car. Suspension stays put, car starts first time, economy mode has not been seen or heard of and the welcome "citroen" logo appears in the cluster on start up. (I didn't know it was there)
A lot is said about the C5 needing a good battery, and I now realise it's absolutely true. You might get a few months out of your battery, or maybe a year, but don't be surprised if economy mode becomes ever present! If your battery is the French original (Varta I think), then it is probably nearing the end of it's life.
I get less MPG than you if your figure is urban driving. I guess around35 in town and 45 motorway, but I have a heavy right foot. Mines a 2.2 173.
Love the car to bits though.
Rick.

old'uns
'09 X7 - gone
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

another thread resurrection........original reg going back on this week just in case I need to dump it quickly. Finally reached end of my patience with it, I'll take the PX hit over trying to sort it out
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

What's happened to it old uns?
old'uns
'09 X7 - gone
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

To be honest I don't drive it as often as I did, now the OH's daily and due to a minor incident with a car whilst in France at Xmas I think she's lost confidence and feels it is too long and low for her.
She had a stroke in 2007 so no use in left arm and leg, wrote off her smail daily and I convinced her the C5 was OK especially with leccy handbrake.
I've Spunked well over 1k in the last year or so.....
Recon rack
New ds front strut
Eolys top up
Battery etc along with a few other things.
LDS leak seems to have stopped for the time being but off the top of my head this quick list of 'faults' needs sorting at some time......

Rain/light sensor...wipers OK but on auto lights flicker fast and some interior lights flash as well.. £140?
Noise from ds when turning and accelerating...poss UJ joint but no advisories at last MOT's. Gearbox?
Anti pollution fault permanently on, MOT due July so no pass
Limp mode occasionally with 'spirited' pull away or at Mway speeds for a faster overtake, annoying with 500miles to go on a French trip and no cruise control
Lexia won't access soot levels,live data etc so ECU probs or more likely operator error
Ecomode is a PITA, new bigger battery and still US
Something somewhere drains the battery, 2/3 times flat battery after a couple of days standing

I still enjoy driving it believe it or not but as I said OH now needs a taller seat and easier access so a large list of cars basically is dictated for her day to day use

I hate to admit it but a Ford C max is the top of the list
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Depending on required outlay for upcoming MOT, I could be about to contemplate a change too. OH has a Clio, and will not drive the C5. Annoyingly, she is a good driver but her confidence is shot to pieces because she has only driven around a quiet Scottish town. Now that we live in Surrey, other than a trip to the supermarket, she won't do battle with the traffic. Personally, I can't live with driving a small car, so we will remain a two car family for now. Cars I had in mind? Jag xf , ( bit too pricey) Insignia ( repmobile) 3 series BMW. . My problem is, the x7 has it all, and finding a similar spec car is proving difficult. Any thoughts?
Rick.

old'uns
'09 X7 - gone
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

lots of thoughts regards my choices but when you start narrowing it down you soon get left with a small list.
without going the 'exec' route and all the tech that goes with it as you say there is nothing out there closer to the X7 especially with the budget i'll be using.
been over in Dublin this w/e and had an Octavia diesel DSG.......
big car, half decent tech spec but seats as hard as, tyre/suspension noise, 'boom' from the engine in the cabin, feeling every bump and ripple and Stop/Start what a PITA until i found how to turn off!!
back in the X7 from BHX, oh boy will i miss it.

stage 1 done and dusted.....
OH applied for Plate retention on Thu online, email confirmation same day, old reg back on, retention cert in post sat am, just waiting for new v5 now..well impressed!
if i could find the original plates i could have changed them Fri afternoon.

dropped off at dealer on way back this pm to look at a Grand C Max, PX figure given, car we viewed is better spec than we originally looked for, so Mon afternoon in we go to do the deal.
decided i can't be bothered to sort out the X7, cost to sort out,or what i estimate, could be the proverbial ball of string vs getting shut as is so cutting my losses.

Lexia 3 v3.??thingy will be up for sale soon along with the newer Diagbox 7.51 once the dreaded deed is done
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Daughter had a Skoda Octavia (Laurin and Klement estate) Lovely car, with all the toys, but I agree about the seats. Never sat in any car with seats as hard as the Skoda. Really don't think I can live with a Focus type car after the last few motors I've had. S type Jag, Rover 75, Saab 9-3 etc. I actually thought of a Renault Megane, either coupe, or maybe an estate.
Rick.

Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

old'uns wrote:Lexia 3 v3.??thingy will be up for sale soon along with the newer Diagbox 7.51 once the dreaded deed is done
Mmmm. Might be interested in the Diagbox when you're ready. I strongly suspect that although my ancient Lexia has the C5 X7 as an option it'll choke on the newness of my new car.

Good luck on finding a replacement car. hope you won't be disappointed.

BTW is it an Easydiagnostics one? I presume it still has the discs, instructions and code.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
old'uns
'09 X7 - gone
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

i found that Lexia worked better for me than Diagbox.
Lexia was from this forum, Diagbox from Easydiagnostics
edit: Lexia 3 is v5.29, not sure if i still have the disc but easily got i assume?

finding the right car i thought was easy.....left the dealer at 3pm yesterday, shuts at 4.30, OH rings at 8.30...SOLD!!
we did say to the salesman we'd go away and think about it and be in on Mon afternoon, at no point did the slimey b******d suggest a deposit...git