Ambitious CX pricing!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

onthecut

Re: Ambitious CX pricing!!!

Post by onthecut »

CitroJim wrote:
Rattiva_Mike wrote: But will they Jim? I can't see why a Xantia or XM would to be brutally honest.
XM and Xantia not mould-breakers? Just compare and contrast to their contemporaries. XM vs Granada say. Whilst we're happy to drive an XM today would you be really happy in a Granny or that hideous old Vauxhall barge whatever it was called - Janitor was it? Or would you prefer a Chavalier, Ashtray or a MK1 Mundaneo over a Xantia. No, thought not.

That's right - no contest...

Anyway, if such piles of poo like the Manky Minor and Marina, Austin Allaggro and most alarmingly, 60s and 70s Frauds and Poxhalls can be considered desirable classics then the XM and Xantia really are in a league of their own. The examples I mention above were hideous even when they were current. And I'm old enough to know.

:wink:

Just spotted the above and having had several of both the XM and the Vauxhall 'Janitor' (presume we're talking Senator / Monza / Omega), I have to say to be fair, the Vauxhall wasn't a bad piece of kit. One area where it left the XM for dead was the quality of the auto gearbox, which was as near seamless as I reckon you will get ---- none of that ZF nonsense of not changing up until the upper 40s and then crashing (relatively) back down at the same point ! Strangely enough, having parted with my last XM earlier in the year and now having a pretty good run with an HDi Xantia, I have for the first time in a long time another Vauxhall in the household. It's the Aussie sourced Monaro and I have to say, has wiped out for good any notion of getting a C6. Excellently finished interior, fabulously comfortable and generous seats, great performance and soundtrack. I just think it's a shame that Citroen still (as I see it) don't do a single bigger model that has much more grunt than you need !

Mike.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Rattiva_Mike wrote:Weren't Xantias galvanised from new?
Yes, they were, I seem to remember it being a big push in the marketing when the Xantia was launched. XMs were also galvanised ...

Back when my dad repaired Citroens, we got a Xantia estate in for a full set of sphere and a service. The guy dropped it off and put the keys through the letter box. When we came to move it every panel was scatched down to the metal, the roof, the bonnet. The only good panel was the boot lid. It looked so fresh, as if it had happened on the way. We rang the owner to express the cost of the spheres and service and other bits it needed, to see if they still wanted the work done. Of course, he said, that damage happend 2 years ago when I went through a barbed wire and wooden fence. There was not a hint of rust on the damage, just excellent.

My old black XM had a bit of a crease on the rear corner panel, the paint had fallen off due to the crease but there is no rust. That damage was done about a year ago. I saw a 10 plate Mitsubishi L200 Warrier with similar damage today, with missing paint and a huge crease, it was rotten!
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Citroenmad wrote: My old black XM had a bit of a crease on the rear corner panel, the paint had fallen off due to the crease but there is no rust. That damage was done about a year ago.
It's still there :oops: and looking as fresh as the day it happened...

All I've done is spray some protective wax on it until I can get to sort it properly when the weather is more amenable to things like that...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...