Ambitious CX pricing!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: Ambitious CX pricing!!!

Post by citroenxm »

Mike.. how on earth can a mk.1 maundaneo be mould breaking??! for fraud maybe because they switched to FWD from the rwd sierra ? mould breaking for fraud drivers but citroen had been fwd for many decades before.. what else is special in one? i cant think of anything at all.. just another boring rep mobile.. where are they all now? driving the latest version..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening »

Rattiva_Mike wrote:Poxhalls of any age are awful, and 60s and 70s British tat/Fords/VWs being called "classics" is ridiculous. A "classic" car to me is something like a Ferrari 250 GTO, not a rusty old Mini (which, I have to say, is the singularly most awful car I have ever travelled in).
The definition of a "classic car" is a hazy one and pretty much everyone has a different opinion on what is and isn't deemed as a class. Interesting to google the definition of a "classic car" and it came back with this for the UK:
"There is no fixed definition of a classic car. Two taxation issues do impact however, leading to some people using them as cutoff dates. HM Revenue & Customs define a classic car for company taxation purposes as being over 15 years old and having a value in excess of £15,000. Additionally popular acclaim through a large number of classic car magazines plays an important role in whether a car comes to be regarded as a classic. It is all subjective and a matter of opinion. The elimination of depreciation is a reason for buying a classic car, this is a major cost of owning a modern car."
Of course we are all entitled to our own opinions however I heartily disagree regarding the Classic Mini. Having driven a slightly tweaked 1965 car it was a total hoot and great fun on this Classic Car Run. I was convoying with dad in the 2.8i Capri and a mate with his MK1 Cortina GT. That Capri was a fab sounding car with it's S/S Exhaust on it - a noise all of it's own. The world would be a very boring place if we liked all the same thing however it was a very fun drive...
Rattiva_Mike wrote:I've owned many, many cars. I've never owned a British 70s or 80s "classic". I drove an MGB once because it looked nice. It was scheight, so I bought an MX5 instead.
But MGBs and MX5s are years apart not only in terms of manufacture but technology too - of course the MX5 is going to be better...?!!! :?
Franklin
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I'm no mini fan but my eldest daughter and son in law were and owned/restored loads of them.

Youngest daughter and youngest son bought a classic Mini Cooper between them, to learn to drive in.

Youngest daughter and I were about to leave for Birmingham on evening to see Heather Nova. Picked her up at work but while I waited for her the heater matrix exploded and filled the passenger footwell with boiling water.
Attempts to bypass the heater came to nothing so we took the Mini - with some trepidation.

It conked out while we were searching for the venue and parking place so pushed it into a metered place, neither of us had any change so left it there anyway*.
Gig was great but on the way back to the car Laura said she would drive. "You'll be lucky", I thought.
It started first turn of the key and off she went. We got lost immediately as the signs were for Wales or London and neither appealed - gone midnight and a 200 mile journey in a noisy, crashy mini. Headed to Wales/Manchester, turned around after about fifty miles, went back but the lorries heading into Brum were at a standstill in all three lanes. ducked through an industrial estate and headed back to Manchester.
Stopped in Newcastle Under Lyme for coffee and petrol, checked the oil - none showing on the dipstick :(
The nice lady in the petrol station gave us very precise directions back home and we took her advice - after trying to top the oil up - clouds of smoke enveloped me and the car and I discovered that I was standing in a pool of oil. Left there very quickly!

Got home about 5am, deafened and too weary to stand and a broken back with the rubbish seats.

All in all a very memorable and thoroughly excellent trip and I was glad it was all over.

Laura had two more minis after that both older than she was but won't entertain one now, only likes large cars - SAAB 900s preferably :)

*didn't get a parking fine and Heather Nova was way beyond our expectations - otherwise the memories may not have been so positive.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

citroenxm wrote:Mike.. how on earth can a mk.1 maundaneo be mould breaking??! for fraud maybe because they switched to FWD from the rwd sierra ? mould breaking for fraud drivers but citroen had been fwd for many decades before.. what else is special in one? i cant think of anything at all.. just another boring rep mobile.. where are they all now? driving the latest version..
Mondeo = class-leading handling and ride qualities .Safety was a high priority in the Mondeo - airbags, side impact bars, seat belt pre-tensioners and ABS in all models. European Car of the Year in 1994.. something unheard of for a Ford of that time. Oh, and the feature that does it for me - the heated front windscreen, they're brilliant. Some models had self levelling and adaptive damping too. Oh, they were safer than the Xantia and 406 too.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Citroening wrote: But MGBs and MX5s are years apart not only in terms of manufacture but technology too - of course the MX5 is going to be better...?!!! :?
The Japanese were making reliable cars when the MGB was still being made. We couldn't make one here..
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

CitroJim wrote:Truth is, a manky Marina can be worth three grand now against which the CX looks exquisitely good value.
Like this one
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re:

Post by CitroJim »

Eddie Nuff wrote:
CitroJim wrote:Truth is, a manky Marina can be worth three grand now against which the CX looks exquisitely good value.
Like this one
Now that's just being silly...

It's not even a 1.8TC :twisted:

And that colour is awful...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stormrage

Post by Stormrage »

I will undercut him and sell mine for a mere 7k. Bargain! Get it before I change my mind :lol:
Last edited by Stormrage on 05 Dec 2012, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.
Stormrage

Post by Stormrage »

Does look to be in great condition though! I think they may have had a BX up for a similar amount last year...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I thought Clarkson had bought up all the Marina's
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

And all the cheap pianos as well. INCOMING!!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Rattiva_Mike wrote:
citroenxm wrote:Mike.. how on earth can a mk.1 maundaneo be mould breaking??! for fraud maybe because they switched to FWD from the rwd sierra ? mould breaking for fraud drivers but citroen had been fwd for many decades before.. what else is special in one? i cant think of anything at all.. just another boring rep mobile.. where are they all now? driving the latest version..
Mondeo = class-leading handling and ride qualities .Safety was a high priority in the Mondeo - airbags, side impact bars, seat belt pre-tensioners and ABS in all models. European Car of the Year in 1994.. something unheard of for a Ford of that time. Oh, and the feature that does it for me - the heated front windscreen, they're brilliant. Some models had self levelling and adaptive damping too. Oh, they were safer than the Xantia and 406 too.
If I'm not mistaken, the Xantia also had side impact bars, seat belt pretensioners and an airbag on all but the very early cars. ABS was on most but the basic versions. But yes, the Mondeo did do better in the Euro Ncap tests, the Xantias is really not worth looking at! The Xantia had undoubtedly better ride qualities but the Mondeo better on the handling front. However with the mixture of the Hydractive on higher models I'm sure the Xantia would come close, if not beat the Mondeo - which I never could see what the issue was with handling, the early ones drove like a lot of cars of the time. Though I've not spent a huge deal of time in them.

The problem I have with Fords is rust, I really don't do rust. Its a killer, its very expensive to get cut out and repaired professionally. Once it sets in you can be chasing it for years. Then there is rot in structural places which needs cutting out and patching, its a hassle, its unsightly and its the sign of a poor car. So many Kas, Fiestas and Pumas have been scrapped due to rust, namely around seatbelt anchorage points. Great cars and I would love a Puma, they drive brilliantly and have a great feel to them. But I've so far been put off as it can be a problem finding one with its wheel arches in tact and not hastily repaired or rotten. An old Mondeo (1993-2000) is not a viable every day car now, not in my opinion, due to rust. I looked at 03-04 plate Mondeo TDCis about three years ago. I really wanted one at the time but most of them I looked at had rust starting or in good swing on the insides of the rear doors. Others had rust on the tailgate and other areas. I was looking at cars with 60-80K but the interior always seemed very shiny and a little worn looking. I did nearly buy a 53plate LX (I like the big 5 spoke wheel covers!) in my favourite Mondeo colour - Metrpolis Blue, it was showing the start of rust on the inside of the doors, but was tidy otherwise. I got them down to a reasonable price but was not that impressed with its drive enough to warrant the rust which I would have to have got repaired. So I left it and found C5 number 2.

Mondeos do need to be marked down for one thing if nothing else. Bumpers! You only have to look at them and before you know it they have smashed and are in a million pieces on the floor, exposing the yellow foam behind. On the Mk2 Mondeo the lower rear bumper on the hatchbacks would flap in the wind and eventually crack, I've seen lots taped up.

P.S, I used to love Mondeos - I have not owned one but it was not for the want of trying ... I have looked at many but have been dissapointed with all. Now I keep to my collection of Ford Minichamps ... I wont say how many Mondeo scale models are looking at me right now ... but they are all rust free :lol:

I wonder if the Mondeo will ever reach classic status. I'd like an ST24 saloon, good looking car, tasteful body kit and wheels and some performance too. Something like that could make it ...

Citroens of the past 20 years stand up to rust a lot better than a lot of other cars. The Xantia does have its problem areas now but on the whole not bad for an older car. The C5 has no common rust places that I know of, maybe behind the plastic sill covers will be a problem in years to come, as that is a bit of a muck trap. Our 2002 C5 is still in perfect condition with no rust, as you would expect from a more modern car.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I had a bit of bare metal on the front wing on my estate, was like that for five years and never rusted.

I have pulled the sill covers off to check for problems but the sills were spotless and in perfect condition.

I drove my Xantia for over a year with a rip in the rear passenger door and the paint scraped off (hit by a milk truck at 3am, while parked) and there were no signs of rust whatsoever.

GS didn't do quite so well :(
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Weren't Xantias galvanised from new?
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Rattiva_Mike wrote:Weren't Xantias galvanised from new?
That was my thinking too

And a quick search on google brings up a review by the indomitable John Haddock that also states as much

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/o ... iew/13265/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)