Ambitious CX pricing!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Re: Ambitious CX pricing!!!

Post by Citroening »

There are exception's Neil... :wink: :wink:
Franklin
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote:
citroenxm wrote:Thats a fair point Mike, BUT what IF, I know Its a big IF but what if prices of CX went like DS??
I don't think there's any if about it Paul, they will. Just as XMs will and some Xantias will eventually...

The CX is getting a very rare car now and it's good to see the prices going up which means now there's only a few left they’re finally being properly appreciated...

Truth is, a manky Marina can be worth three grand now against which the CX looks exquisitely good value.
But will they Jim? I can't see why a Xantia or XM would to be brutally honest. We might like them, and they are nice cars, but they aren't mould-breakers in the way that the DS or CX were. They're just nice cars. I can't see them ever being coveted museum pieces, apart from by absolute Citro-pervs.
davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Post by davoxx »

People over and under price everything ... others want to make a quick profit, or just get rid of it quick. I'm sure that ebay ad will be there for a good while.

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/cla ... itroen-cx/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
why?
6speedmanual
My Cars:

Post by 6speedmanual »

CX are surely destined to become rarer than DS, I would think.

Peter
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I certainly can see nice and desirable XMs and Xantias raising in price. Not to DS or even CX prices, but raising enough to keep them around. Fact is, Citroen is going away from their hydraulic designs, so they probably are one of the last true Citroens as we have known them. This must sure have some benefit and most likely why a few people have them now and not the newer ones. I prefer the Xantia in many ways to the C5 (a car I can't see rising in value) and its why I'm looking at selling my C5 to have my HDi as my daily driver.

There is also the fact that most cars do tend to rise in value and generate a group who support that and are enthusiasts. Just a few weeks back I saw a 1996 Rover 800 2.0 Turbo sell for £4K. It was in nice condition and I do actually like 800s, but there is nothing appealingly special about that car.

It might well be a small selection of people who will continue to like Xantias. However as newer cars get more dull and more like any other car, they will have growning appeal.

All my oppinion of course, I'm very interested to see what happens. Don't forget, the Traction, DS and CX have all been through phases of bangernomics were you could not give reasonable examples away. Much the same as the Xantia now ...
Last edited by Citroenmad on 29 Nov 2012, 22:55, edited 2 times in total.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

6speedmanual wrote:CX are surely destined to become rarer than DS, I would think.

Peter
I would consider that might be the case now, though have not checked the 'reliable' website :lol:

However, there is rarity and then there is desirability, which is no doubt why the Ds commands the prices they do. 8-)
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Post by bxzx16v »

At least it's not a crappy Fooord :twisted: for that money :-D

Mark
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se (killed an Audi) , sadly now gone .
2012 Landrover Freelander 2 SD4 AUTO Love it . Now gone .
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec . Fantastic little machine .Gone now.
2014 Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci Zetec S with the French heart.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'm not for suppression of comment, more about accurate couching of an opinion.

I also believe that most people are able to seek information from a wide variety of sources, and that critical thought processes should be encouraged. Every day, everywhere, consumers make poor choices - whether of condensed milk brand or home loan source. If everyone bought shrewdly and with good product understanding, the marketplace dynamics would eventually shift...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Rattiva_Mike wrote: But will they Jim? I can't see why a Xantia or XM would to be brutally honest.
XM and Xantia not mould-breakers? Just compare and contrast to their contemporaries. XM vs Granada say. Whilst we're happy to drive an XM today would you be really happy in a Granny or that hideous old Vauxhall barge whatever it was called - Janitor was it? Or would you prefer a Chavalier, Ashtray or a MK1 Mundaneo over a Xantia. No, thought not.

That's right - no contest...

Anyway, if such piles of poo like the Manky Minor and Marina, Austin Allaggro and most alarmingly, 60s and 70s Frauds and Poxhalls can be considered desirable classics then the XM and Xantia really are in a league of their own. The examples I mention above were hideous even when they were current. And I'm old enough to know.

:wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Yes, can help but agree with your comments there Jim. UK engineering design has always been a bit hit & miss. Never really understood how so many hailed British design as being world leaders in automotive engineering. Did it all start with that crappy little Mini thing? Dangerous, uncomfortable, unreliable,....... #-o Like you, I have seen a few, owned a few, fixed lots. It was not until my first GSA that I saw the light, HALLELUJAH! [-o<

H
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote:
Rattiva_Mike wrote: But will they Jim? I can't see why a Xantia or XM would to be brutally honest.
XM and Xantia not mould-breakers? Just compare and contrast to their contemporaries. XM vs Granada say. Whilst we're happy to drive an XM today would you be really happy in a Granny or that hideous old Vauxhall barge whatever it was called - Janitor was it? Or would you prefer a Chavalier, Ashtray or a MK1 Mundaneo over a Xantia. No, thought not.

That's right - no contest...

Anyway, if such piles of poo like the Manky Minor and Marina, Austin Allaggro and most alarmingly, 60s and 70s Frauds and Poxhalls can be considered desirable classics then the XM and Xantia really are in a league of their own. The examples I mention above were hideous even when they were current. And I'm old enough to know.

:wink:
I don't think the XM and Xantia were mould breakers at all. They were both really an update of what went before - the BX and CX. If you want mould breaking, then you've mentioned one of the best -the Mondeo MK1. Compare and contrast that to the awful Sierra/Cortina, and you'll get my drift.. the Mondeo was a completely new design from the bottom up, and it was a very good, if slightly dull car. Ours did 144k with nothing more than a flat battery one winter causing it to stop. Comfy, fast, and quieter than a Xantia on rough motorway surfaces.

Poxhalls of any age are awful, and 60s and 70s British tat/Fords/VWs being called "classics" is ridiculous. A "classic" car to me is something like a Ferrari 250 GTO, not a rusty old Mini (which, I have to say, is the singularly most awful car I have ever travelled in)

To be honest, if I had to choose from a well sorted Mondeo MK1 or a Xantia - if they were petrol versions, I'd take the Mondeo every time now. Obviously, if it were a diesel, I'd rather walk than go in anything with that vile 1.8 Ford TD lump in it.

:P
Northern_Mike

Re:

Post by Northern_Mike »

addo wrote:I'm not for suppression of comment, more about accurate couching of an opinion.

I also believe that most people are able to seek information from a wide variety of sources, and that critical thought processes should be encouraged. Every day, everywhere, consumers make poor choices - whether of condensed milk brand or home loan source. If everyone bought shrewdly and with good product understanding, the marketplace dynamics would eventually shift...
The problem you have here sir, is that when talking about Citroens, the "wide variety of source" will generally tell you they are, at least pre-2000 ones, are unreliable, complicated tat, that is worth nothing and has really weird suspension that costs a fortune to fix when it breaks.

This isn't actually true, but one of the few places you'll find that truth is here or on other Citroen forums
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

handyman wrote:Yes, can help but agree with your comments there Jim. UK engineering design has always been a bit hit & miss. Never really understood how so many hailed British design as being world leaders in automotive engineering. Did it all start with that crappy little Mini thing? Dangerous, uncomfortable, unreliable,....... #-o Like you, I have seen a few, owned a few, fixed lots. It was not until my first GSA that I saw the light, HALLELUJAH! [-o<

H
I've owned many, many cars. I've never owned a British 70s or 80s "classic". I drove an MGB once because it looked nice. It was scheight, so I bought an MX5 instead.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

About a year ago there was quite a presentable CX DTR turbo 2 Safari for sale in Southampton for less that £1000, I was tempted at the time having owned one for 7 years and 150,000 + miles, but my head overuled my heart and I didn't. I don't suppose we will see another decent one at that price.

Peter
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Re:

Post by wurlycorner »

addo wrote:What is the point of pissing on someone else's wares, on a public forum for car enthusiasts?
Not pissing on a forum members for sale post - I agree, I've seen that happen and I don't think it's helpful/right.
This was about a dealer, advertised on ebay. Just a slight difference!

If a forum for french cars, anongst other french "car enthusiasts" isn't a place to mention it, then I'm afraid I'm struggling to think where else might be...
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)