Xantia Alarm is driving me mad!!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Re: Xantia Alarm is driving me mad!!!!

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Well I have just been out and tried the same thing with my rear doors the alarm doesn't bounce the locks open again after the chirp with either of my rear doors open, the dash light confirms a door is open and all doors do lock on setting the alarm with the doors shut, but I still get the beep to tell me something isn't quite right unless the alarm is supposed to beep when I set the alarm on the key fob. Odd?? all the lights in the tailgate work fine number plate lights to. passed the MOT fine 100 miles ago.
cheers Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I can check mine tonight, but from what I can remember if a rear door is left open it will warn with a beep of the horn but it will not bounce the locks open and the alarm will set anyway, monitoring everything except the door which is not closed properly. From what I can remember the rear doors have a switch that monitors whether the door is open but NOT whether it is locked. (A Lexia can definitely see whether any of the four doors are open or closed)

Another thing to be aware of is if a front door is open when you try to arm the alarm it will beep and bounce all the locks open again, but the alarm will still arm! You have to press the unlock button to prevent the alarm arming. Only the door switch of the door that caused the warning to be emitted will not be monitored - other doors and ultrasonics will still be monitored, even though the doors are unlocked, so any movement in the cabin or attempt to open any of the other doors would still set off the alarm despite the doors being unlocked.
Last edited by Mandrake on 10 Mar 2014, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Then that would suggest you have a problem either with the boot or bonnet switches. Other than that I cannot help, as I don't where the switches are for either (as you have an estate, and I have not had to investigate the bonnet switches). However, I would check the rear door lock is tight and engages properly (it was loose on my BX, which meant it didn't always engage properly). Once I got that sorted out the boot would latch and stay closed. If there is an alarm switch in the boot lock this might help.

The alarm beeps only if there is a problem. If it is 'satisfied' all is well then it locks and does the indicators.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Mandrake,
That sounds about right everything you have described seems to be working with my estate.
This is my dilemma all the doors lock fine front rear and boot hatch the interior sensors appear to be working as Mandrake describes and everything we have checked out thus far checks out, but the alarm still beeps at me when setting it with the remote despite all the doors locking when setting the alarm by the key fob
the indicators still flash on setting the alarm and disabling it as they should.
maybe this points to the bonnet switches???
cheers.
Nigel.
Last edited by falling-out-with-my-car on 10 Mar 2014, 17:20, edited 1 time in total.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Either boot or bonnet switches. The next problem is to find which.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
falling-out-with-my-car

Should the door open light be litt up if the bonnet is open by any chance?
cheers
Nigel.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:Should the door open light be litt up if the bonnet is open by any chance?
cheers
Nigel.
No.
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

No, and neither will it for the boot (well, they don't on Gracie, and she is happy with her security status!).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

So had I mis under stood nigels question?? I said the rear doors are NOT a cause of lock bouncing but they do show the open door and can make the sounder chirp if a jar when ooen.

I think not. If the utton on the dash is pressed this DISABLES THE SOUNDER!! Contary to people beleving it disables the sensors.. why have a sounder with a cross throgh it if its disableing ultra sonic sensors.

anyway.. before I get too fed up ill leave you all to argue it over.

Ive been useing the dash button on mine since ive had it then locking it with the remote and the alarm hasnt gone off in the night again.. for me because i cant be arsed farting around with it is good enough for me.

Nigel. Good luck hope you get your issue sorted.

nigel. Before messing around swapping things left right and centre may I strongly sugest you peel back the rubber boots that carry the wires from the door to the car and examine them inside for any broken wires. This is ALWAYS forgotton about untill an electric window stops or cars wont lock at all..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

citroenxm wrote: I think not. If the utton on the dash is pressed this DISABLES THE SOUNDER!! Contary to people beleving it disables the sensors.. why have a sounder with a cross throgh it if its disableing ultra sonic sensors.
Paul,

I'm afraid you're wrong on this point. The button on the dash which you hold down to turn the red LED on the door on before arming the alarm disables the ultrasonic movement sensors NOT the siren. Honest! :wink: (This applies to S2, I don't know about S1 as my S1 didn't have an alarm)

How do I know ? Try unlocking the door with the key while the alarm is armed with the ultrasonic sensors disabled - the siren will still go off. (Not to mention the owners handbook says exactly what the button does)

What use is a button that leaves the alarm active but the siren silenced ?
Ive been useing the dash button on mine since ive had it then locking it with the remote and the alarm hasnt gone off in the night again.. for me because i cant be arsed farting around with it is good enough for me.
That's because your ultrasonic sensors are faulty. If you want to disable them permanently peel back the left hand door card and unplug the yellow connector - the feed for the transmit transducer, this will permanently disable the ultrasonic transmit transducer so you don't need to keep pressing the button.

If it still goes off the fault might be in the receive transducer in the drivers door - you can unplug that one too but that will also unplug the LED as it shares the same connector. In most cases the yellow connector in the passenger door is enough.
Last edited by Mandrake on 10 Mar 2014, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.
Simon

1978 CX 2400
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Ok. Well it shuts mine up. But then I always get the xantia thats different to the rest. :)

thanks simon for clearing that up.. :oops: :? :)
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

citroenxm wrote:Ok. Well it shuts mine up. But then I always get the xantia thats different to the rest. :)

thanks simon for clearing that up.. :oops: :? :)
I had the same problem with mine - the alarm would go off within 15 minutes if I didn't use the dashboard disable button. I later unplugged the yellow connector in the passenger door - no more false alarms and no need to press the dashboard button. (But no volumetric protection - only door switches)

Later still I replaced the sensors with much cheaper generic types and they work 100% now - not a single false alarm in over a year, but they do trigger if I deliberately set them off. (Arm waving through a slightly open window etc)

Fully documented diagnostic and repair process here:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=41002" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Simon

1978 CX 2400
falling-out-with-my-car

apologies I didn't mean to cause a scrap over who is right and who is wrong.
but in a way it is good to finally get down to the nuts and bolts of how things should work.
I didn't realise that the volumetric sensors could be faulty perhaps but I don't think they are causing the beep on setting the alarm, looks like I shall be spending a lot of time on this one wasting a nice sunny warm day sometime soon.
The link provided does give a method to test for another reason for the beep on setting the alarm without the use of a lexia so I shall now check the bonnet by leaving it open before setting the alarm to see if the beep stops.
cheers.
Nigel.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The U/S sensors don't (as far as I am aware) cause the alarm to chirp when set. It is only an open door/bonnet/boot that does that. In the past Gracie had a damaged boot switch (broken stem) that meant she 'thought' the boot was opened. Once I found where the switch was (thanks to this forum) I removed the switch (which fooled her into thinking the boot was closed) until I got a replacement switch from Paul (once again, thanks for that switch, and sorry if I irritated you).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
falling-out-with-my-car

my S2 Xantia handbook says that pressing the volumetric switch does indeed disarm the sensors but it also makes the alarm flash the headlights only instead of activating the alarm sounder so people who think they have cured the false triggering could well be suffering the lights flashing over night and not actually be aware of it happening after they have pulled their curtains. in daylight it could be even harder to see the headlamps flashing.
sorry to chuck a spanner in the works.
Whilst we are on the subject could anyone actually identify the make of alarm fitted to the xantias please because I'd love to tell my Insurance company what make it is, the alarm details always say Unknown it could be a big Insurance price changer if it is one of the good ones. ACTUALLY scratch that please I found this link all about Citroen alarms can somebody put it up as a useful link please? I am sure there must be a fair amount of people that don't know what make alarm they have.
http://thatchamfitters.co.uk/car/cars-w ... itroen.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cheers
Nigel.