what's everyone's car fuel consumption

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bencowell

Post by bencowell »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tonyg</i>

Hi
Fuel consumption? If you floor my XM V6 series two when it's cold on a morning the fuel consumption figures on the computer goes well into single figures. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
My C5 2.0 HDI will also display single figure consumption, it goes down to 9mpg, but soon rises. The same happens on the Picasso HDI.
David Goddard
My Cars:

Post by David Goddard »

V6 Xantia:- 29mpg commuting, 31mpg on M-ways (all with or without the a/c).
Shell Optimax certainly gives noticibly better performance and more miles to the tank but I haven't actually measured it yet. Don't bother with this fuel in the London area, but always use it when I go "up north". More pull, matches the autoadaptive gearbox better. Think it's something to do with the the octane rating being higher, and therefore the engine knock detector not signalling for ignition retardation.
Ozziediver
My Cars:

Post by Ozziediver »

91 BX TZD - Australia. Mix of both city (stop/start) and highway (more stop/start [:(]) driving gives me 52 mpg (car is calibrated in miles as I brought it over from the UK. Driving back and forth to work all week (about65 miles/day) I used 42 litres of diesel. Never had my tank bone dry but even after running it with the gauge in the reserve for some time, the most I've ever gotten into it is 50 litres.
mdoo98

Post by mdoo98 »

I regularly monitor the quantity of fuel when I fill up against the miles done and I always zero the trip at this point. Without fail I am getting 46 or 47 mpg from my '98 Xsara 1.4LXi which I think is fantastic, the mileage on the car is now at 24,000 miles.
luismend
My Cars:

Post by luismend »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by timbo</i>

i dont no how you lot do it, my xantia fuel gauge is probable the worst indicator of how much fuel i've got in the tank,out of all the cars i've had, one minute i'm well over half then it drops like a stone next the warning light comes on then it's out, then the neadles back up over the first mark, i've given up trying to judge it.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hi!
So I'm not the only one to have this issue!!! My indicator behaves exactly like you've described. My car is a ZX 1.8i 96. The Xsara from a colleague runs a lot better.
cheers!
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

I have a ZX 1.9D automatic gearbox, 1993 on a "K" that averages 40 mpg.. [^] But....
The fuel consumption does vary a great deal.. EG: A lady friend drove it From Manchester = Paignton = Christchurch = Salisbury = up to Stratford and then back onto the m5-6 To Manchester. 995 miles at an Ave of 38 mpg.
I took it from Manchester To central London onto Poole Dorset. I was forced by traffic to maintain around 65 mph on the motorways. on arrival in Poole I filled up again and found the car had returned about 55 mpg! [:D] I then made various local trips and on returning to Manchester I had done 690 miles at an ave of 49 mpg.
But..... My ZX wont go into 4th gear (top) at less than 40 mph so I only get around 28-30 mpg in town... [:(!]
Method used for checking.... I always fill to brim and zero the mileage trip.. Mileometre is very accurate, have checked it against Autoroute, Streetmap UK, and the fact that I have made hundreds of trips Manchester to Poole Dorset in dozens of diff cars. (I used to be a buyer for exec and sports cars for a large Car sales firm in Bournemouth and delivered most of them personally). I then write the mileage on the receipt, and do the maths when I get home. (I really must get a life! [:I])
Cheers.. James...
satman
My Cars:

Post by satman »

Found this site whilst looking for an answer to a cold starting problem on my ZX Advantage 1.9D. I've always kept a spreadsheet on mileage and MPG (previously for the tax man and for company car purposes in the distant past). I've averaged 58.5 MPG (12.89 Miles/Litre) this year, mostly cross country driving.
mrbump
My Cars:

Post by mrbump »

I averaged my zx volcane td's economy over three tanks of fuel and it was almost exactly 45mpg. The first tank was general knocking about and some time spent on a race track [}:)](1/2 a day and 1/2 a tank of denzil). The second tank was used slipsteaming my brothers transit van from scotland to wales at 70mph MAX. The remaining 1/3 of that tank and the rest of the third was used driving back up to scotland (at 80-90mph) and some other short running-about trips.
I think that that is a good mix of driving situations/styles and it was a consistent 45 mpg considering 50 litres at every fillup (although the fillups were actually 47,48 and 47 litres, but this may absorb the speedo error).
In comparison my 405 glxtd estate used to do 40mpg, and my 405 saloon n/a diesel would do an easy 50 (on a bonafide new engine).
Next thing is to find out what the economy is like on the old chips oil!!![;)]
cheers
volcane305

Post by volcane305 »

Two citroens in household xsara hdi 110 and partners 96 red volcane td(its really the car I'm after![^]). I have kept accurate records of every drip of diesel used in the xsara in past year 20,000 miles but not yet in computer! but on average I get just less than 500 miles from a full tank, I once got to 530 and then put in 53.4 litres. I was lucky would have been skinned!!!.
By comparison she, on a daily 60 mile commute and some town driving routinely gets 520 on a tank. She never brims the tank and puts around 48litres in at each fill. This must be more than 50 mpg. On my old volcane 400 miles was very rare.