what's everyone's car fuel consumption

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

timbo
My Cars:

Post by timbo »

i dont no how you lot do it, my xantia fuel gauge is probable the worst indicator of how much fuel i've got in the tank,out of all the cars i've had, one minute i'm well over half then it drops like a stone next the warning light comes on then it's out, then the neadles back up over the first mark, i've given up trying to judge it.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

I'm fairly heavy on the old shoe leather. My Xantia 1.9 Turbo D averages around 36 to 38 mpg. Usually just over 8 miles per litre. I do a mixture of stop start urban and short motorway runs.
The turbo d picks up very well for overtaking on the motorway. I used to have a Cavalier 1.8i and then an Audi A4 1.8. both these petrol cars hadto choose their moment when to pull out to overtake. The Xantia just goes when you toe it.
I used to have a Peugeot 405 saloon 1.9 diesel (no turbo) that regularly gave me 44 to the gallon. And yet another car of mine, an Audi 80 1.6 Turbo D always returned 41 mpg. I have a friend with a 406 HDi 90 estate. He always gets just about 40 mpg. Another guy I know with a 406 HDi 110 saloon gets around 43 mpg. So, If you use the performance, you don't get 50 ish mpg in a modern diesel (do you ???).
If you tootle you might ?... I've tried to tootle many a time... but then a BMW turns up and down goes my right foot.
Cheers
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

I keep a spreadsheet to record my fuel purchases and servicing and this gives me a fairly reasonable picture of my mpg. I did find a big drop when ULS diesel came out. It is obviously difficult to tell for sure what outlets supply fuel that gives the best mpg, but I seem to do better on Esso and Tesco fill-ups than I do at Sainsbury's or Asda.
From this thread it would seem that I'm going to take a huge drop in mpg when I get around to buying my big estate to replace the little AX. As the AX is only worth peanuts now I'll probably keep it for my 60 mile daily commute to work - at nearly a 20 mpg difference between the 1.4 AX and a 1.9TD units it'll probably pay to keep the little rollerskate going.
Simon Canfer
My Cars:

Post by Simon Canfer »

My 1992 ZX TD Aura returned 50.4mpg over 50,000 miles.
In contrast my 1997 ZX TD SX can only manage 47mpg.
So it is possible to get 50mpg!!
I drive a good mix of Motorways, A-roads and B-roads and urban.
Economy driving is all down to realising that momentum costs £££...
Simon Canfer
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

As the AX is only worth peanuts now I'll probably keep it for my 60 mile daily commute to work - at nearly a 20 mpg difference between the 1.4 AX and a 1.9TD units it'll probably pay to keep the little rollerskate going.
--- That depends if you don't mind sacrificing comfort and safety for a few mpg
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

oops forgot the comsumption bit - Got 550 miles on a full tank (65 litres) on a 90mph drive to Cornwall in June. Normal is about 420 - 450 miles depending how late I set off for the 6am starts
Tom.Abd
My Cars:

Post by Tom.Abd »

2000(W) Xantia 1.8 16v
Get about 26-29 mpg for town/city driving depending on the AC, traffic or how heavy footed. Figures averaged over a tank full and I probably get a lot less on some of the better (?) back/country roads.
On a run M25/M1 Essex to Scotch Corner it consistently turns in about 37/38 mpg. This is cruising at between 75/90 mph. On this I would recon Nik's figures sound about right. After Scotch Corner I usually switch to the A68 which then knocks the mph back down.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

BonceChops (love the name),
With my Xantia, based on 8 miles per litre a 65 litre tank would give me 520 miles. I have never got less than 8 miles per litre or just over 36 mpg even when I'm late for work :-)
Cheers, Kev
Jonesy
My Cars:

Post by Jonesy »

My 2.1 TD Xantia averages between 42-44, the BX 19RD averages about 44-45 and the 205D averages about 48-50.
As JohnD correctly points out though, this does not allow for the discrepancy in the inaccuracy of the speedos, so about 2-3 less than these figures. Still pretty pleasing.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi, I get around 35mpg around town and about 44mpg on a run. Although it does change when I am running a mixture of vegatable oil and diesel, I think it goes to around 37 mpg around town and 46 on a run
Regards
Paul
robertgillatt
My Cars:

Post by robertgillatt »

1994 Xantia TD, Longish coommute on fairly clear roads... 100miles / day... 43mpg worst - 48mpg best.
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

I hope your paying the duty on that veg oil [:D]
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

I agree with the comment about Esso and Sainsbury fuel, I to seem to get better economy when filling up at an Esso station.
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tom.Abd</i>

2000(W) Xantia 1.8 16v
Get about 26-29 mpg for town/city driving depending on the AC, traffic or how heavy footed. Figures averaged over a tank full and I probably get a lot less on some of the better (?) back/country roads.
On a run M25/M1 Essex to Scotch Corner it consistently turns in about 37/38 mpg. This is cruising at between 75/90 mph. On this I would recon Nik's figures sound about right. After Scotch Corner I usually switch to the A68 which then knocks the mph back down.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"><font size="2">This just about concurs with my Xantia of similar but older ilk [8D] </font id="size2">
reffro
My Cars:

Post by reffro »

My old Xantia 94 2.0i 8v VSX auto would do about 20-24mpg in London on my commute and general running about. Out of town on a run up to Lincolnshire along the A1, 27-29mpg at 70-90mph depending on what got in my way, best ever was 33mpg driving up the A1 at a steady 70mph. So fairly ruinous for my financial health, but it was ever so comfy and easy to drive I forgave it. Having parked it backwards into a hedge at 50mph, I now have a different car.
I've had my 96 306 XTdt, for 3 weeks, the first 2.5weeks I just did my run to work and general running around in London at 39mpg. Then last weekend I gave it a run up the A1, 400 miles done over the weekend, 330 of which were spent on the A1 trying to do 85-90mph when the traffic allowed, the rest was driving the back lanes or in town when I went shopping, I averaged 41mpg overall. So if I wasn't such a lead foot I'd guess I'd be on for an easy 45-50mpg.