what's everyone's car fuel consumption

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

My little diesel AX returns a fairly consistant 59 mpg and that is mainly A-road driving; it's done nearly 182k miles now. In it's youth, when diesel wasn't this ULS stuff, it averaged 5 or 6 mpg more. I have to admit that I don't drive very slowly - except up hills! I do about 30K a year private and travelling to work and the AX has done well over the last 3 years or so.
I'm looking around for a bigger car at the moment - I assume I cannot expect 50 mpg out of a Xantia estate...
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think 50 MPG is possible out of a HDi 110 Xantia estate, but not a 90, 2.1 or 1.9TD.
jeremy
neilminto

Post by neilminto »

My HDi 100 estate (37k miles) has done 41-44 mpg since new - 25 mile commute, travelled fairly quickly but little congestion. The ZX TD used to do 39-41 in the same drive... not sure where people get this '50' idea from unless they're doing a constant 50mph also!
neilminto

Post by neilminto »

My HDi 110 estate (37k miles) has done 41-44 mpg since new - 25 mile commute, travelled fairly quickly but little congestion. The ZX TD used to do 39-41 in the same drive... not sure where people get this '50' idea from unless they're doing a constant 50mph also!
oops - I meant 110!
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Its not a Citroen, but hey! [:D]
My 306 averages 45mpg, dropping to 42 in the winter rising to 47-48 in the summer. My daily commute is mixed, from about 3 miles of stop-start traffic to empty dual carriageway.
On a 700 mile trip to Aberdeen from East Sussex early this year, I calculated an average of 35 mpg, but I was cruising at 90mph for almost 700 miles! Not bad methinks.
On a slighly different note, the consumption on my 1.9td seems to be variable, my old 205 would do 39 - 40 mpg however you treated it, but with a heavy right foot the diesel really does start to drink the go-juice.
Ross
Sham-man

Post by Sham-man »

2.0 16V 1999 50kmiles Xantia I get about 33-37mpg, pretty constant. No motorway's over here to speak of so typically trundle around at 60-70 mph. It does raise a big question though, why the hell didn't Citroen fit a trip computer on a higher spec'd car????? Still my mental maths has improved since getting the car :o)
AndyGimpy
My Cars:

Post by AndyGimpy »

My ZX 1.4 L reg 107k on the clock still averages 42 miles per gallon commuting around the M25 car park lots of stop start and lots of heavy right foot when the traffic clears. Now I know a lot of you will laugh but I have found that using the Shell Optimax is much more benificial, yes its the more expensive but I do get more miles per gallon and improved performance, no more little hesitation flat spots, so this equals out to the normal fuel prices so not as expensive as people think. If you dont beleive me give it a try. After only 3 tank fulls you can really notice the benefit
Blagarse Yank
My Cars:

Post by Blagarse Yank »

I have a 1.9 TD Xantia on an L plate, with 136K on the clock.
I average 550-560 miles from one tank, mainly 5th gear 4-60 mph journeys on A roads and occassional dual cariageways. That's around 8.56 miles (miles please not Kilometeres)every time.
I too have found that the car goes very well on the motorway, although it gets thirstier after 75mph. It can cruise at 85-95 if anyone ever dared to do that. And as per the above, white/gray smoke starts to be produced after three figures.
Wouldn't be able to say that I have ever pushed it onto 115 mph on one flat gradient of motorway, because that would be totally illegal
Hope that is of interest
Blaggy
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Best in current ZX D - 63mpg (deserted m'way at night doing 60 mph)
Best ever - 145 MPG (Honda c50 [:I])
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Homer -
Using these conversion factors :
1 UK gallon = 4.546L -> 1L = 0.22 UK gallon
1 km = 0.621miles
My old BX16 (12km/L) returns :
(12 * 0.621) / 0.22 = 33.87 mpg - or 34mpg to the "best" side.
Not bad from an old carburetted car in mixed usage I guess [:p]
This would of course be surpassed by newer cars cruising M-ways - not to speak of inherent better mpg values from diesels.
Guess that Nikolay's 7.5L/100 value was a bit confusing to me - since I took it as miles - but it must be km's then [;)]
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

When I had a BX TD I got 44mpg from it and my present 2.1 Xantia gives 42mpg (except while it's towing a caravan when it drops to 31mpg. But then, I'm kidding myself, because both vehicles show a recorded mileage and a speed that is 4.5% higher than the actual figures. This is proved by the BX doing 25.7mph at 1000rpm and the 2.1 doing 27.3mph at 1000rpm. The 2.1 also shows the same 4.5% discrepancy against Microsoft AutoRoute over a long journey. So the true figure for my Xantia is 40mpg which I'm happy with.
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

My old TGD always seemed to do the same mpg on day to day motoring - 10 miles per litre which I think is 45mpg give or take. This was over about 100 k miles since by habit I always zero the tripmeter when filling up. On a run it would do better and on one trip from eastern France back to Leics (600 miles on quiet motorways at constant 70 mph) it did its best ever -58 mpg. My wife's Xantia does about 40 mpg knocking about but has done just over 50 on a trip to France - the benefit of quiet motorways and no traffic hold -ups (and when she drives on French motorways she doesn't stick to 70 mph - more like 90!)
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

Oh, and by the way - I never notice any difference in mpg whatever diesel I use, whether it is supermarket (French or British) or Shell, BP, Total etc. Anyone noticed a difference? Or do the "better" types have other benefits like more detergent, less smoke etc? Can't say I've noticed that either
Crossman

Post by Crossman »

My ZX Volcane TD 3dr '95 averages somewhere between 42MPG and 48MPG depending entirly on the phase of the moon. Suprisingly it does'nt seem to care whether I drive round town in short journeys, bomb down the motorway doing daft MPH etc... I had a 309 GLX Dturbo before which my father now owns and he reports a healthy 52MPG and my 205 XLD I owned many years ago would do just shy of 60MPG if driven carefully. My ZX is the first that does'nt seem to relate at all between how\where it's driven and the economy. Next car judging by my fall in MPG over the years might be a 406 coupe HDI... I hope.
It looks like its the XUD lottery with my ZX Volcane... Still 0-60 in low 10's, 115mph, (fairly) good looks, low price all weighing in at 45 mpg and it does about a constant 48MPG on our more cost effective 'red' shade of fuel...
Have fun all...
Crossman.
Interwired

Post by Interwired »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndyGimpy</i>

My ZX 1.4 L reg 107k on the clock still averages 42 miles per gallon commuting around the M25 car park lots of stop start and lots of heavy right foot when the traffic clears. Now I know a lot of you will laugh but I have found that using the Shell Optimax is much more benificial, yes its the more expensive but I do get more miles per gallon and improved performance, no more little hesitation flat spots, so this equals out to the normal fuel prices so not as expensive as people think. If you dont beleive me give it a try. After only 3 tank fulls you can really notice the benefit
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yes, I can vouch for Optimax too. Great stuff, I get easily an extra 2-3mpg (which is very benneficial with my car) and a definate performance improvement, mid-range pull stronger and smoother, better throttle response..etc. Although I find it noticable straight away without running 3 tank fulls through it.
p.s Not Citroen related, but the Bmw averages 23mpg(50% motorway, 30% town, 20% rural), with a long steady(80mph'ish) motorway run giving up to 27mpg, or around 21mpg if I make use of, and clear the rest of the cars out of, the Bmw lane [;)]
David
91 BMW 535i Sport
89 AX 1.4GT
87 Golf Gti 8v