For the Xantia enthusiasts - S1 or S2 ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Which era Xantia do you prefer? Tell us why in the thread.

Really early Mk1 with chevrons on the bonnet
16%
Mk1 with chevrons on the grill
36%
Mk2 with chevrons and grill as part of the bonnet
32%
I love them all
16%
I prefer Renaults and have just walking into the wrong neighbourhood...
No votes

Total votes: 25

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: For the Xantia enthusiasts - S1 or S2 ?

Post by CitroJim »

Dav, now what you want to do is make a V6 Activa... The best of the very best :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Post by davoxx »

CitroJim wrote:Dav, now what you want to do is make a V6 Activa... The best of the very best :wink:
Yeah but I'd have to kill a V6 Xantia, and I suppose a V6 406 manual as well though strangely I don't feel as bad about that :)

When I win the Euro millions, I will have a V6 manual Activa, but until then the HDi Activa proves to be a lot more economical ... 600 miles to a tank!!!
why?
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Xantippa wrote:S1 has better (read softer) suspension than S2. Fortunately that´s easy to fix, I put same spheres on S2 HDi that I had on S1 1,8 SX and ride was very comfy again. In my opinion Xantia´s facelift was success; it didn´t ruin the look of the car at all, as often happens. Just made it look a bit more like original concepts. A good example of terrible facelift is Mk2 Xsara.
1.8 petrol and 2.0 hdi use different spheres hence the different ride.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
lurchy666
My Cars: citroen c5 hdi 2.2 auto estate

Post by lurchy666 »

For me late sieres 1 with the wide wings from the v6 and with headlight mod and a 1.9td engine. Dunno why but mu series 2 seems harder and the seats are terrable compared to my old 1.9 td s1 also with the clear rear lights. The smoked ones look terrable when they fade
c5 2.2 auto hdi estate 52 reg
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

lurchy666 wrote:Dunno why but mu series 2 seems harder and the seats are terrable compared to my old 1.9 td s1
Indeed, my finding as well from practical experience of a numb bum...

I wonder if it's because many S2 seats have airbags in them... I don't know for sure but S1 seats certainly seem to have the edge - bar Activa cloth seats that is and they seem equally good - the second best of all Xantia seats* - in both S1 and S2..

*The most comfortable Xantia seat is the S1 Activa leather. These are vanishingly rare and if you want the last word in comfort they are worth their weight in gold...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lurchy666
My Cars: citroen c5 hdi 2.2 auto estate

Post by lurchy666 »

was thinking of some leathers for my hdi sx (as all the wiring is there) but its finding some with side airbags and at the right pirce

failing that i think a set of seat covers for now just to hide the holes
c5 2.2 auto hdi estate 52 reg
IrfanIbrahim
My Cars:

Post by IrfanIbrahim »

Early one got my votes :) . Park aside with later S1 and S2 but the early S1 always caught my attention i dont really know why.. :roll:
1994 Xantia 2.0I

Keep calm & drive a xantia!
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

lurchy666 wrote:was thinking of some leathers for my hdi sx (as all the wiring is there) but its finding some with side airbags and at the right pirce

failing that i think a set of seat covers for now just to hide the holes
As Jim says there are various types of Xantia leathers. At least four by my counting. There is the S1 Leather which has the lether inserts going upwards on the seat - these are not usually heated. There are two versions of these, some are manual adjust and some are electrically adjustable. Then there is the S2 leather which had the leather inserts going from side to side on the seat - these are heated and electrically adjustable. These have inflatable side bolsters and electric lumbar support for top and bottom of the seat back. Then there is Activa leather, optional on all Activas. They have electrically adjustable with bolster inflation but also larger bolsters as the Activa cloth seats have.

They all have varying degree of comfort levels :lol:

I've not spent any time in Activa leathers, but found both S1 and S2 electric seats confortable. The seats in my old V6 S1 were very comfy, though they had been very well sat in. My Exclusives seats are great and adjust with the front of the seat base high and the back of the seat base lower, which gives much better leg support and I have not had a numb bum yet!! :lol:
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote:
lurchy666 wrote:Dunno why but mu series 2 seems harder and the seats are terrable compared to my old 1.9 td s1
Indeed, my finding as well from practical experience of a numb bum...

I wonder if it's because many S2 seats have airbags in them... I don't know for sure but S1 seats certainly seem to have the edge - bar Activa cloth seats that is and they seem equally good - the second best of all Xantia seats* - in both S1 and S2..

*The most comfortable Xantia seat is the S1 Activa leather. These are vanishingly rare and if you want the last word in comfort they are worth their weight in gold...
I have to disagree with you Oh Jim, Lord of The Xant..

I think the seats in Rattiva, well worn and tatty though they were, were more comfy than the S1 V6 leather. I found the S1 leather comfy on long, straight journeys, but hard work on anything other than a straight road. They were hard too.

My favourite Xantia seats are Activa cloth...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

airhead_eire wrote:As the title suggests, which era Xantia do you prefer and why, pre '98 or the series 2 model ?

Series 2, looks nicer, body shape is more "flowing", wider stance, nicer interior, better audio controls on the steering wheel. They fall easier to hand and are in logical places. They are also big enough to hit first time every time rather than poke about for like the S1 controls. Oh, and they have headlights you can see in the dark with, which always helps..
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Rattiva_Mike wrote: I have to disagree with you Oh Jim, Lord of The Xant..

I think the seats in Rattiva, well worn and tatty though they were, were more comfy than the S1 V6 leather.
I agree Mike, the seats in Rattiva were the exception to the rule - well worn and as comfy as anything. I could never quite figure out why but I guess lots of bums in the 200,000 miles had made their mark and moulded the seats to be just perfect...
Jim