cooling, runing to hot , xantia vsxi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

luke bremner
My Cars:

Post by luke bremner »

when you think you have fixed it. Well not yet, whats it doing.
From cold drive it easy for 10 min the temp is 60-80 5min later 90 3min later 110+.
What have I don so far,
>Pulled out the thermistat, have not put another one in yet as shop is closed,
>New radiator cap
>Bleed and flushed out the sistem
What have I not don
Put in the new thermistat and mixed up a flued for the radiator, just runing on strate water for now
The only minor thing that I think it might be it the fact that I have not got a thermistat in at the moment so say the temp may reech 90 some how the senser reeds it as being hotter. the water should not mater that much.
Hope fully some one nows how to fix it, It can't be much.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Right Luke -
You have to be sure WHAT's going on.
Get hold of a temperature gauge - either a mechanical - or an electrical sensor working with a multimeter.
Then measure the temperaure the same place as your car's temp gauge sensor is located. Have some kind of insulation (glass/stone wool) padding OVER the sensor - to prevent false readings.
A little inventive fiddling with steelwire or nylon strips is required to keep the sensor in place - and the padding over it.
With the thermostat OUT of the system now - you should in fact have a cold running engine - which should take AGES to warm up. Simply hold a hand over the engine & coolant hoses various places - while engine is running idle. You should clearly feel that the engine now is dead slow to warm up.
If this does not happen - a serious problem with the coolant flow is present.
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

If the temp is at 110 you would not be able to touch the radiator, does it feel that hot?
I am thinking along the same lines as Anders - is it really that hot or is the temp sender or gauge reading wrong?
luke bremner
My Cars:

Post by luke bremner »

the car was runing very cold when started, It takes a long time to heat then shortly after it would slowly increas untill it would go strate up I think that themp is acurat the engine is geting very hot, I find if I bleed the cooling it will run cool then do the same. Just thinking how do you tell if the water pump is working.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Luke -
To prevent a disastrous damage due to overheating - I think it's time you get some professional help.
There's large risc that the cylinder head may twist when overheated - causing the head gasket to leak - meaning costly repairs.
From your descriptions so far - it seems you may have problems with either blockage somewhere caused by dirt or kinked hoses. The thermostat should also be suspected. Even if the thermostat has been replaced recently - it may have been fitted the wrong way around.
Checking the coolant pump is next to impossible - since it requires you to physically judge the coolant flow somewhere in the system. Only sure way to judge the pump is by removal.
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

OK big story starting, sit down and get a brew.
This is the problem I had on a mates C15 diesel van.
A few mins after driving it water was blowing out of the radiator cap and the engine was very hot. He did all the usually things, bleed, thermostat, check fans etc but all was OK. The strange thing was that with the header tank cap off water kept flowing out of it when the engine got hot - never any steam just water.
I noticed that the radiator was not getting hot, which is why he took the thermostat out. After a while I suspected the pump was not pumping water around the system. Suspected a blockage at first. I removed the top radiator hose and using a hosepipe gently forced some water into the system. The excess water comming out of the radiator was hot and the radiator very quickly heated up as it should have before. This proved to me that with some water flow the radiator would have heated up. This told me he had no water flow around the engine. The reason the water was comming out of the header bottle was because the water in the engine was expanding due to the temp in the engine, possible turning into steam and pushing the water out.
After a bit more investigating we found that the water pump drive pully was spinning on its shaft and the pump had siezed and was not pumping any water. This could be seen by removing the timing belt covers and marking the water pump shaft with tip-ex (white paint) and running the engine. The shaft was not turning but the pully was.
After replacing the pump all was OK.
Neil