Front brakes sticking?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevestix8
My Cars: Xantia SX H.d.i 2.0L (S reg, 98)

Re: Front brakes sticking?

Post by stevestix8 »

Hi,

I have a Xantia HDi and it failed the mot recently due to brake binding.

I did some research (check previous posts) and was being told that the prob was my caliper. I didn't agree as the calipers were fairly tidy, my discs were ok and I changed my pads about a year ago so they are ok.

After thinking about it and looking on ebay I found a piston seal fix kit.

I would say your prob is more likely in the piston as the binding is happening speradically as apose to continuous. You should check existing seal to piston first. If it appears damaged then dirt can get into piston housing causing the piston to prevent the calpers releasing properly. I ended up getting a replacement seal kit and took wheel off, swung the caliper out of the way, this gave me access to the piston head. Could see damage to seal. Removed piston head then internal o ring and damaged seal. Cleaned the piston housing (some dirt) clean piston itself and we reassembled with new o ring and seal. The binding has stopped completely now and now my pads have bedded in it rolls better and is better on fuel. I took it back to mot place and it is now mot'd for another year.

If yours is anything like mine then this is a common prob and a relatively easy fix. Citroen should have a seal kit if you cant get it on ebay.

Steve
shoogiesco

Post by shoogiesco »

thanks stevestix8 I am going to give this a go, anybody have a rough idea on price I should be paying? Is it worth me doing both sides?

can ayone help me on how to remove handbrake cable from caliper?

cheers
Sandy
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Sandy with handbrake off, cable should quite easily pull off caliper lever?
mine did last week.
John
stevestix8
My Cars: Xantia SX H.d.i 2.0L (S reg, 98)

Post by stevestix8 »

Hi,

It is worth checking this first as you could try new discs, pads or calipers and still not fix the prob. Otherwise it might be a rusted handbrake cable but this would usually cause a continuous binding.

The way to test if you should do both front piston seals is to jack up 1 wheel at a time and (with handbrake off) and wheels chocked, just try free rolling the wheel. See how they compare. I only had to change 1 side as the other was fine and if it aint broke don't fix it.

This is the link for the piston fix kit I used:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-Xanti ... 0499393175" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

This is not the correct fix kit for your car but gives you an idea of price. If you contact the ebay seller Big Red or Citroen then they will tell you exactly what kit you require.

Steve