Spare wheel needed to borrow near Reading..

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Spare wheel needed to borrow near Reading..

Post by CitroJim »

Rattiva_Mike wrote:
CitroJim wrote:Excellent news Mike!
Well. Sort of. £160 quid for tyres the same spec isn't exactly "Excellent news" Jim..
No, quite agree but I meant excellent as in excellent, you now know what the source of the problem is if you see what I mean.

Last pair of boots on my V6 were £180. What are you considering getting? BFG G-Grips seem very good as do anything made by the froggy fat man...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote:
Rattiva_Mike wrote:
CitroJim wrote:Excellent news Mike!
Well. Sort of. £160 quid for tyres the same spec isn't exactly "Excellent news" Jim..
No, quite agree but I meant excellent as in excellent, you now know what the source of the problem is if you see what I mean.

Last pair of boots on my V6 were £180. What are you considering getting? BFG G-Grips seem very good as do anything made by the froggy fat man...
I'm not sure Jim, probably Avons or something cheap and half decent. Money is a little tight until Adriana's started to get paid at the end of this month.

Chris or Mike - do either of you know where these tyres came from, how old they are, or have a receipt? They both look hardly used, but both are completely ruined. It might be worth me keeping the carcasses and bitching at Pirelli about them.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Rattiva_Mike wrote:Chris or Mike - do either of you know where these tyres came from, how old they are,
Take a look for the stamp denoting the date of production, normally somewhere near the rim and not far from the tyre size print you'll see a four digit number code, the first two are the week of production the last two the year.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Glad to see that you have nailed down the fault. I should have read this post before phoning you (2 missed calls; don't need to return them).

If pennies are tight, you might want to take a look around Wokingham Car Spares (a scrappy). I've used them in the past, and provided you check them over thoroughly, the tyres ain't bad. £15 for a 15", and £5 to transfer to your rim (but their balance kit isn't working, with no indication as to when it will be fixed). At one point I had 5 on my BX, all from a french guy who looked like he was made of doughnuts, with 2 so new as to still have the logo on the tread.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Glad to see that you have nailed down the fault. I should have read this post before phoning you (2 missed calls; don't need to return them).

If pennies are tight, you might want to take a look around Wokingham Car Spares (a scrappy). I've used them in the past, and provided you check them over thoroughly, the tyres ain't bad. £15 for a 15", and £5 to transfer to your rim (but their balance kit isn't working, with no indication as to when it will be fixed). At one point I had 5 on my BX, all from a french guy who looked like he was made of doughnuts, with 2 so new as to still have the logo on the tread.
Ah, yes my dear wife is out in the Berlingo. Cunningly, I left my phone in the door pocket, so I won't have it until later. That wouldn't have helped my cause!

Thanks for the tip about tyres. I'm not *that* skint yet, but it's somewhat inconvenient. I'll have a look for Uniroyals or Avons, they're about £70 a corner.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

DickieG wrote:
Rattiva_Mike wrote:Chris or Mike - do either of you know where these tyres came from, how old they are,
Take a look for the stamp denoting the date of production, normally somewhere near the rim and not far from the tyre size print you'll see a four digit number code, the first two are the week of production the last two the year.
Thanks Richard. Do you think it's worth me bugging Pirelli about it? They can only tell me to go away can't they?
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Rattiva_Mike wrote: Chris or Mike - do either of you know where these tyres came from, how old they are, or have a receipt? They both look hardly used, but both are completely ruined. It might be worth me keeping the carcasses and bitching at Pirelli about them.
They came from the front end of my current car, which had 4 pirellis fitted in May 2006 at 72,000 miles and 2 more in December 2008 at about 89,000 miles. I presume you have this later pair, which travelled about 8,000 miles before I bought the car, but in the year before I bought it, it was probably only driven once to the dealer for its MOT, so they may well have developed flat spots. I didn't drive either car more than about 10 miles with those tyres and would not have noticed any vibration, as the new car had two ruptured rear spheres and the old car had a ruptured front sphere, so I was driving very carefully, then Jim collected your car before I drove it again.
I probably have 2 of the 2006 tyres on the rear still (don't ask about the age of my spare).
It appears that my current car went through 12 tyres (6 pairs) in 97,000 miles, but probably driven more gently than you or I would.

It may also mean that you haven't yet experienced the vibration that I was complaining about...
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Mike Im pleased you have got to the bottom of the problem, I knew it would be the wheels.

however I am not convinced that it is the tyres themselves. The buldges you mention, are these on the outside or inside wall?

I have had all the wheels off that car at one point or another and noticed no 'bulding'. I did however notice that the tyres have slight indents in the sidewall, I have had this on many tyres (other P6000s, Goodyear etc) and after researching online previously that is a manufacturing result. I never had a problem with vibration on either previous tyre. You would also quite happily pass an MOT with this, I know this due to previous tyres, its not a dangerous looking buldge. A buld is like having a golfball sticking out of the sidewall, a major structural weakness to the tyre, these do not have this.

The tyres are dated 2008 iirc, I also remember the slight indents to the sidewall, though as said I have seen this on previous tyres with no issuses and they had been like that from new. I 'dress' tyres with a hand aplicator so I always inspect tyres when I do this and believe me, any iffy looking tyre on my cars get binned straight away.

What Im tyring to say is dont be so sure its the tyres, it could just as easily be the wheels out of round. One does have a quite large score to its face which could have been a knock to distort the wheel slightly. I have a set of C5 wheels (Monza style), one of those is slightly out of round and that gives this sensation through the car when the out of round wheel is fitted to the rear.

Im not really sure how you prove one way or the other, apart from fitting other tyres to the rims or fitting those tyres to other rims.

I paid £177 for a pair of Michelins in that size for my HDi, you should get Avons much cheaper.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I've noticed those 'indents' before on tyre sidewalls. can't recall the make of them now though...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Citroenmad wrote:Mike Im pleased you have got to the bottom of the problem, I knew it would be the wheels.

however I am not convinced that it is the tyres themselves. The buldges you mention, are these on the outside or inside wall?

I have had all the wheels off that car at one point or another and noticed no 'bulding'. I did however notice that the tyres have slight indents in the sidewall, I have had this on many tyres (other P6000s, Goodyear etc) and after researching online previously that is a manufacturing result. I never had a problem with vibration on either previous tyre. You would also quite happily pass an MOT with this, I know this due to previous tyres, its not a dangerous looking buldge. A buld is like having a golfball sticking out of the sidewall, a major structural weakness to the tyre, these do not have this.

The tyres are dated 2008 iirc, I also remember the slight indents to the sidewall, though as said I have seen this on previous tyres with no issuses and they had been like that from new. I 'dress' tyres with a hand aplicator so I always inspect tyres when I do this and believe me, any iffy looking tyre on my cars get binned straight away.

What Im tyring to say is dont be so sure its the tyres, it could just as easily be the wheels out of round. One does have a quite large score to its face which could have been a knock to distort the wheel slightly. I have a set of C5 wheels (Monza style), one of those is slightly out of round and that gives this sensation through the car when the out of round wheel is fitted to the rear.

Im not really sure how you prove one way or the other, apart from fitting other tyres to the rims or fitting those tyres to other rims.

I paid £177 for a pair of Michelins in that size for my HDi, you should get Avons much cheaper.

Oh wonderful. So now I might need to source a set of alloys for it too. I'm so happy..
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

No, it would be either tyres OR wheels, I cant see it being both, nor car I see those slight indents being the cause. Get the tyres inspected by a good and reputable tyre company. Obviously the risk you face is they might just want to sell you tyres ... You could also get the wheels checked by a alloy wheel refurbishment place, perhaps.

If all a car needs is a replacement pair of tyres or a wheel then its pretty good game in my opinion. Ive already replaced one pair of tyres on this HDi Exclusive and the rears need replacing pretty soon too, I paid no less for it that its worth, I didn't expect to.

I'm sorry your having this problem with it, but at least you know what it is now and its easily sorted out. :)
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Citroenmad wrote:No, it would be either tyres OR wheels, I cant see it being both,
How do you know Chris? I don't really care much for your experience or opinion at the moment, sorry to say... like I said, it would have been nice to have been told of the problems before I bought the car.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Rattiva_Mike wrote:
Citroenmad wrote:No, it would be either tyres OR wheels, I cant see it being both,
How do you know Chris? I don't really care much for your experience or opinion at the moment, sorry to say... like I said, it would have been nice to have been told of the problems before I bought the car.
Fair enough Mike,

You bought a very good, taxed and tested car for £450, its done almost 200K and the only slight problem is a wheel wobble. Which yes, I forgot to mention but then its not a massive issue, it only happens above the speed limit and it does not detract from the use of the car at all.

If you have a problem I would appreciate you getting in touch with me, rather than having a dig on an open forum. I do not appreciate having my reputation tarnished in this way. neither would I have done something knowingly to damage my image on here or with my commitments to the CCC. Its a simple problem and easily solved. I have never bought a car and not had to spend money or time on it.

I don't feel as though I have held information back, had it of been a major issue then obviously I would have put it on the for sale thread. I don't class a vibration (which was obvious to me that it was the wheels due to it being speed related, not rev related, and from the rear of the car) as a major problem and its not even as if it needs an immediate fix - Jim owned the car like this, I did almost 2000 mils with it.

I really am sorry you feel this way :( I wish I could say I could help with getting you the wheels or tyres but thats just not possible. I really do feel awful.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Reverting to topic...

I would be very surprised if there is anything wrong with the wheels. Last time I saw them they did not show any sign of being heavily kerbed nor other damage, and Mk1 Magny-Cours seem to quite strong alloys.

It think it is much more likely that one or both of the tyres is internally de-laminating and changing shape at speed.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Topic locked as Mike no longer wishes to continue this discussion and has sourced replacement wheels.