Peugeot 205 diesel - buying advice please

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

maestro500
New User

Peugeot 205 diesel - buying advice please

Post by maestro500 »

I am going to look at a 205 diesel with a view to purchasing it. What areas of the vehicle should I check please, especially regarding rust/corrosion on the bodywork. I'm a reasonable average regarding spannering but am not a car or 205 expert. Any help or comments would be welcome.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: Peugeot 205 diesel - buying advice please

Post by spider »

Welcome. :)

What year is the intended purchase ?

Generally I try to recommend that a late H or J to L are generally the best, as the build seems higher on these compared to the last models, although there's not much in it. Some were part galv too.

Body rust can be a sign of accident damage, even now I think as the paint and general rust proofing applied to these was generally excellent.

Regarding rust, well mine was 20 years old when I sold it and it had never been welded and did not look like it needed any in the near future. Look around the sill inner area / floor on the rear and the front, the area at the end of the sill as water in the sill can cause problems here. Also look around the front subframe mountings and rear axle mountings too.

Obviously check for accident damage dropping doors is not uncommon but it should still look straight and honest really.

Mechanically, the XUD will outlast the car if looked after. Mileages Captain Kirk would be proud of are obtainable from this unit **if** its had regular oil and coolant changes, neglecting either will cause problems.

Examine the oil and coolant condition, walk away if its like toffee or emulsified.

Rear axle bearings can go although given the trouble trying to take them apart a good donor axle is the quick, easy 'repair' if possible. Its quite easy to change, the only 'difficult' part would be taking the new brakes apart as the handbrake cables would have to be fed into the replacement axle. To check this first of all look at the rear wheels from a distance to check they are not splayed and if possible jack up the rear safely and check for movement in the wheel / hub, its unlikely to be a wheel bearing if there is movement.

Examine coolant hoses and radiator for leaks etc, usual checks really.

Brake pipes are easy to replace if needed if you've done any before. The metal fuel pipes are a bit of a pig to do with genuine replacements as its steel and difficult to bend, although I've seen large bore copper piping fitted as a replacement.

If its a pre 93 model OR a turbo diesel the fuel heater is at the back of the block and a bit of a pain to fix as it can suck air in, I bypassed mine and made a replacement further up the pipework worked well.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

All good info from Andy but a couple of other things: Check that the cooling system is not pressurising or blowing out water, look around the filler cap for signs of anti freeze, check that it has anti freeze in it, you can dip your finger in the coolant and taste it, should be sweet, if no antifreeze chances are that the head gasket is leaking and expelling coolant.

Steering can be heavy on early ones, later versions with power steering are much better as are turbocharged engines.

Peter
maestro500
New User

Post by maestro500 »

Many thanks for your thoughts, much appreciated. Car fell through but am still on the lookout for a good condition 205 diesel with power assisted steering, good engine and good bodywork.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

maestro500 wrote:205 diesel with power assisted steering
Totally and utterly unnecessary in my experience and it just adds needless complexity. I've owned both a non-PAS D and a D with PAS and to be honest I could not tell which was PAS and which was not. Even my 205GTi needed PAS like it needed a hole in its sill...

So, concentrate on the other factors and worry not a jot about whether or not it has PAS.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

Does it have to be a 205? What about an early 306GLD? same bomb proof XU Diesel,PAS,bit more room and comfort? Ours has done 170K been abused for ten years and refuses to die!tuff as old boots.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's a good thought OldPug..

A 306 is nothing more than a slightly bigger 205 anyway and has all of its good qualities...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

306 slightly more tricky to repair in my opinion, I thinking heater matrix here especially and general "working" room in the engine bay even though the 306 bay is bigger it seems there's less clutter in the 205 bay in most cases and the wiring loom is a lot simpler too. :D , 205 also does not suffer from differing radiator connectors every other year too. 306 bottom hose to radiator on some models a bit tricky to do properly on the floor,quite possible yes but a standard spring clip / worm hose clip would be easier obviously.

I did find the steering a bit heavy for parking I'll admit although a replacement rack and sorting the UJ out did relieve this to a large extent. Later diesel models (K or L plate usually) onwards had PAS as standard in most cases, optional on earlier models.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

CitroJim wrote:
maestro500 wrote:205 diesel with power assisted steering
Totally and utterly unnecessary in my experience and it just adds needless complexity. I've owned both a non-PAS D and a D with PAS and to be honest I could not tell which was PAS and which was not. Even my 205GTi needed PAS like it needed a hole in its sill...

So, concentrate on the other factors and worry not a jot about whether or not it has PAS.
I think it depends what front tyres you have on it Jim, I got one for my mother many years ago and she was developing arms like Popeye, even I found it heavy, I went to my local friendly tyre supplier and tried turning them inside out, or trying to, I found some nice soft ones and it transformed it.

Peter