Suspension Check

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Diabolical
My Cars:

Re: suspention Check

Post by Diabolical »

A tip for removing rear spheres, bash the cylinder that sphere screws into the end where the thread from sphere will be with an ally or brass drift.
Squirt with penetrating spray, bash again spray have a cup of tea, they will come off by hand, works for me every time.
I have just removed rear spheres on a CX Prestige that hadn't been changed for 8 years previous owner had tried with a strap and then chisel, using tip above they spun off by hand.
06 C5 2.0L HDi Exclusive Estate 20020k and rising. :-)
1987 Citroen CX Prestige. De Corps Brun Maya - cuir blond tabac, très chic
08 Jaguar X-Type 3.0V6 Sovereign Estate - Green (HGZ) - Leather Ivory seats.

citroencx.co.uk
Sam KS
My Cars:

Post by Sam KS »

Thanks for the help. but AEP seem to not be able to write a clear email . i do need to pay excessive freight charges from them weather ordered by email or on the net. so now ordering from GSF, cost's more but freight is WAY cheaper.
Citroën Xantia 75th Anniversary Limited Edition
Sam KS
My Cars:

Post by Sam KS »

Diabolical wrote:A tip for removing rear spheres, bash the cylinder that sphere screws into the end where the thread from sphere will be with an ally or brass drift.
Squirt with penetrating spray, bash again spray have a cup of tea, they will come off by hand, works for me every time.
I have just removed rear spheres on a CX Prestige that hadn't been changed for 8 years previous owner had tried with a strap and then chisel, using tip above they spun off by hand.
I'll give it a bash ( :lol: ) i'll also soak it with some Wurth Rost-Off.
Sam KS
My Cars:

Post by Sam KS »

looks like i'm going with GSF. GBP195 including postage to Boganville, Queensland, Australia.

PS: Bogan = Red-neck Chav
Sam KS
My Cars:

Post by Sam KS »

Well parts arrived and only took 4 working days. also the day after ordering i was told by one of my mates he still has a trade account with GSF from when he had a workshop in Essex so could have got it all cheaper. Also freight was about GBP35. a lot cheaper than every where else. only down side was they couldn't supply the 4/5mm seal on the Anti-Sink Sphere and local Citroen dealer cant find a listing for it. i'll have to change that one next week.

any how I bought a strap type oil filter tool http://www.kincrome.com.au/web/catalogu ... er=K080005" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for removing the Spheres. This morning I spent about 2 hours trying to loosen off the Accumulator Sphere with no joy. So i thought i'd have a crack at the rear. piece of pi$$. so then dropped the car and undid the blood valve to de-pressurise the system and changed the rear Spheres. After changing the rear I thought i give the Accumulator one more go with the car on low and de-pressurised. got it undone 1st go but still almost gave up.

Also cleaned up all the back end hight adjusters while i was there.

Done cutrobics, topped up LHM, bled system and about to go for another test drive to the beach and have a swim while there. It hit 34c in the shed while doing this work and no breeze in there so i must have lost about 3kg is sweat by the end of it.

Next weekend Anti-Sink Sphere and replace the ARB Drop-Links.
Sam KS
My Cars:

Post by Sam KS »

also replaced fuel filter.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent work Sam :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Well done Sam, you would never get spheres off a UK Citroen with that strap spanner, it wouldn't even look at them. :lol: I broke a heavy duty truck oil filter self tightening band type strap spanner on the very first sphere I tried to remove from my V6 :-D I ended up using one off eBay that is basically a solid round steel loop with a bolt through it that tightens against the sphere and I also needed an extension on the handle... Citroens in AUS and NZ don't rust nearly as much, our Xantias in NZ I was able to do all spheres with a band type oil filter strap spanner...a good trick to remember too is if it won't move pull on the removal tool to keep strain on it then give the body of the sphere a good knock with a 2lb lump hammer, the jolt often makes it let go.

Regarding the anti sink sphere, nobody supplies the seal with the sphere for some reason - not even Citroen original spheres come with one. You could have trouble finding any in AUS, however I wouldn't worry about it too much as 9 times out of 10 you should be able to reuse the original seal. I've replaced anti-sink spheres on 3 different Xantias now and always just reused the original seal. Just check that the seal looks in good condition, if there are any slivers or wisps of rubber hanging off the end snap them off, as long as the ends are tidy and it looks ok it will be fine.

Remember to loosen the pipe union first and free the pipe before turning the sphere or you'll snap the pipe off by rotating it...some people say to just put a spanner on the union to hold it still as you unscrew the sphere so the nut unscrews as you turn the sphere, but I don't like that idea as the tip of the pipe may still bind in the hole and twist the pipe.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Sam KS wrote:...only down side was they couldn't supply the 4/5mm seal on the Anti-Sink Sphere and local Citroen dealer cant find a listing for it.
Your dealer lacks experience. Search under keyword "Lining".
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If you look for any posting by Xac, you will see a link to a DIY sphere removal tool. I have made one, and it does work when used properly.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Sam KS
My Cars:

Post by Sam KS »

Mandrake wrote:....Citroëns in AUS and NZ don't rust nearly as much......

No rust on this one any where. :)
Mandrake wrote: ....you should be able to reuse the original seal.....
is it just an O-ring or a square section O-ring?
addo wrote:
Sam KS wrote:...only down side was they couldn't supply the 4/5mm seal on the Anti-Sink Sphere and local Citroen dealer cant find a listing for it.
Your dealer lacks experience. Search under keyword "Lining".
I do live in Queensland and am not driving a Holden or Ford B&S Ute. That's where i go wrong. :hb:
Hell Razor5543 wrote:If you look for any posting by Xac, you will see a link to a DIY sphere removal tool. I have made one, and it does work when used properly.
I was thinking of making one if i couldn't get away with the filter strap. also after around 25 years tinkering with cars i have never needed or owned a filter tool, but instead struggled by hand to remove filters all because i was to tight to go and buy one. #-o
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The seal is a pipe seal, not an 'O' ring or a square section as you find on the other spheres. With luck you might find the original is still usable if you cannot get a replacement.

The DIY tool does work. I also intend (if I remember) to loosen the spheres every 6 months or so (and tighten them back up hand tight) to make it easy when I have to remove then for replacement or re-gassing.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

I have successfully removed all 6 spheres from an 11 year-old Xantia without any problems using a stout chain filter wrench and soaking the the sphere joins with penetrating fluid - AND by following the correct procedure.

Strap wrenches are no good because they have too much 'give' in them and they tend to slip - chain wrenches have no give and the links bite into the sphere.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
Sam KS
My Cars:

Post by Sam KS »

Yes the strap one has to much give, chain type would have been better. I will probably make a Zax Sphere Tool when i am next in a mates shed with metal working tools and a welder available.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

As - due to workshop experience - you are going to make a better job of fitting them than the mug punters and there is nil corrosion risk here, I doubt you'll need a sphere tool. I normally just slap a rag wet with brake cleaner around them first to degrease, then attack with clean dry hands. Plenty of grip before you've even reached for the Zog's.