Diesel costs

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Spaces
Location: Rarely in one place for too long - Hebridean Islands and Yorkshire are my favourites
My Cars:

Re: Diesel costs

Post by Spaces »

CitroJim wrote:If you don't enjoy the cost of diesel (or petrol for that matter) then go LPG :-D

There's a lot of pleasure in paying only 76p per litre for your fuel... A two-finger salute to George as far as I'm concerned :lol:

It completely baffles me why LPG has not taken off big-time. OK, I know filling stations are not exactly common and filling is a bit of a procedure but it's not really that bad and a bit of pre-journey research shows where LPG is available on your chosen route.

I'm converted :-D
The older Range Rover brigade seem to use lpg a lot, although a fireman I once spoke with suggested that in an accident with a fire, lpg cars can be very nasty - even though theoretically they shouldn't be. He thought it wouldn't be so bad if they didn't have a tank full of petrol vapour as well. A friend was involved in a big accident last year, he recalls hearing the roof sliding along the road, seeing the sparks and just praying that no petrol ignited. When it came to a halt, all he could do as he sought his escape was pray he didn't smell petrol.
PeterN: "Honest John's forum put the last nail in the coffin of owning a 2000- car. Many were still servicable, but CR, DMFs and needing fault codes read because your horn doesn't work - no thanks. All my life I have generally understood cars - until now."
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Spaces wrote:
The older Range Rover brigade seem to use lpg a lot, although a fireman I once spoke with suggested that in an accident with a fire, lpg cars can be very nasty - even though theoretically they shouldn't be. He thought it wouldn't be so bad if they didn't have a tank full of petrol vapour as well. A friend was involved in a big accident last year, he recalls hearing the roof sliding along the road, seeing the sparks and just praying that no petrol ignited. When it came to a halt, all he could do as he sought his escape was pray he didn't smell petrol.
Another advantage of running on veg too.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Spaces
Location: Rarely in one place for too long - Hebridean Islands and Yorkshire are my favourites
My Cars:

Post by Spaces »

Yet another indeed - I think those who think it will somehow cause damage are of the same mindset who think anything beyond what most people do is obviously not right.

Using a fuel which is edible has to be safe! Not that I would want to pour my fuel on salad, even if it is polished to half a micron, although I know in many countries 'new' cooking old is just old stuff filtered and dried. I wouldn't be surprised if a few less salubrious establishments in this country - perhaps the mobile variety - don't do this anyway. :shock:

When I first went out looking for sources I was appalled by the state of the oil from many Chinese restaurants - will never eat at one again!
PeterN: "Honest John's forum put the last nail in the coffin of owning a 2000- car. Many were still servicable, but CR, DMFs and needing fault codes read because your horn doesn't work - no thanks. All my life I have generally understood cars - until now."