My Xantia needs knowledgable help!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

Re: My Xantia needs knowledgable help!

Post by citronut »

myglaren wrote:James,
this thread deals with it pretty comprehensively, apart from the working with them in situ. I can't recall anyone attempting that but as usual could well be wrong.
Stevey
you cant be wrong :yikes: :yikes: :roll: :shock: :-D :rofl2: your Admin :wink:

and no you cant free them off to a fully floppy state in situe, and no you dont need to remove the height corrector but just its linkage/cradle
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well, Gracie has bitten me again! According to the recovery driver, her gear selector linkage has both ends failed. I think I have the right part number, 2452.74, so now I have got to find somebody who has one they can sell me. Off to MDC (ECP don't even show that part).
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 18 Jun 2014, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Hi James

Which bit of linkage?
Cit's sometimes falls apart, coming out of first gear, because the "big ball" falls out of the selector rod and puts a strain on nearby ball joints.
Somebody posted a picture of a failed big ball, that astounded me at the time. Now I understand it and have a plan to sort it, whenever time allows.
In first gear, the big ball is ALMOST half way out of the tube on the selector rod and if the drivetrain moves even a little, under accellaration, it comes further out. Once over half way, it will be harder to push back in, when looking for second gear, and will put extra pressure on the nearby ball and socket joints.
Mine come asunder, or the gear lever comes out in my hand, if I try and hustle the first-second change.
My proposed mod is to adjust the length of one of the links, to create a small safety margin, without causing the ball to protrude too far through in the high gears.
This gearbox is common to a lot of Peugeots and they NEVER seem to suffer from this particular failure, so I'll be looking carefully at the geometry and trying to replicate the Peugeot linkage lengths. For some reason, the short links are not the same on the Xantia, with balls and sockets facing different directions to those on a Pug. It seems to be one of those areas where they've taken something that works and messed with it!
I'm hoping a side effect of my mod will be to place the gear lever in a more suitable position for a right hand drive car, because I practically have to climb out of the seat to reach it at the moment.
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

According to the AA guy, both sockets were pretty much non-existent (well, rubber and plastic bits), which is why the gear selector linkage had popped off at both ends. I have ordered a replacement (from Citroen), and they gave me a discount, so the total price of the part is £23:90.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Sorry to hear you suffered a breakdown and needed recovery James :(

You need a C1 in your life :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

According to the Haynes BoL I am meant to put some special grease onto the ball joints before re-fitting the linkage. However, they don't say what the grease is. The AA guy said to do it dry (after cleaning the balls). Opinions, please? I have normal multi grease, copper slip, and CV grease. I doubt either of the first 2 are suitable.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I'd not put any grease on my balls after cleaning them.

HTH
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

that part No. doesn't work on service citroen James
Regards, malcolm.

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

citronut wrote:that part No. doesn't work on service citroen James
Well, I have managed to get one ordered from Evans Halshaw, Reading. The part number they typed in on their system was 245274 (although on the diagrams it shows up as 2452 74). They charged me £23:90 including VAT (although it should have been £23:44 plus VAT). I probably should have typed 2452 74 previously.

It is on the following post, 9th down, item 11;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=29146" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well, that was an interesting few hours! The rubber bush on Gracies' gear selector linkage had perished. This meant that the metal and nylon cup was still on the gearbox arm, and liked being where it was. It took me over three hours to get the dratted thing off (eventually by using a hacksaw to cut it apart enough that a firm tap removed it). Taking the linkage off the other end, and fitting the replacement linkage was a matter of moments, so Gracie is now capable of moving herself again.

It might be useful to know that for quite a while, changing gear (mainly into first) has often produced a metallic sound, like something tapping the exhaust. Since replacing the linkage I have not yet heard that sound. It could be a useful indicator.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Good work James :-D I know what a sod that job is. Lot easier if you remove the engine and gearbox first..

Useful tip to know for next time :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:
citronut wrote:that part No. doesn't work on service citroen James
Well, I have managed to get one ordered from Evans Halshaw, Reading. The part number they typed in on their system was 245274 (although on the diagrams it shows up as 2452 74)
that odd i just tried it again and it worked, musterd bin S/C having a quirk/hic up,

is dosent usually make any difference putting the full stop/space when entering part No.'s, although i discovered if the part No. has letters in it, these can sometimes be case sensitive to make them work
Regards, malcolm.

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Not Citroen but Fiat related. My cousin has a problem with her V reg Punto, in that the driver seat height adjustment has failed. When you get on the seat and set it to the right height it will sink back down to the minimum height after a short bit of time. Any ideas?
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Does anybody have any experience with this lot? I think I will have to replace the trailing arm bearings, but I am currently on limited finances;

http://www.eurocarcare.net/rear-suspens ... r-kit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Plus, what is the procedure for doing the trailing arms? I have yet to have the pleasure of doing them.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The guy that runs that outift has been very helpful to various posters with supply pipes - he made up the adapator pieces for c.morewood's that has the funny rear cylinders.

Rear arm bearings. Ha ha!! First you have to get the arm out http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 11&t=44218" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I would see if the pin will come out first - if not, then you're in for a long day....
Richard W