My Xantia needs knowledgable help!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: My Xantia needs knowledgable help!

Post by CitroJim »

As far as I remember James there is no clip at the bulkhead end. As soon as you have the inner disconnected from the pedal clip it should be possible to pull the cable out with a downwards jerk from outside and below... The plastic flange on the cable just sits in a rubber bung that goes through the bulkhead...

I say 'as far as I can remember' as it's been a while now since I've done the job. All my most recent Xantias have either been autos or hydraulically clutched...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Simple question, but I don't know the answer.

Should I be able to move the clutch lever where it goes into the box? Other than a little bit of play, it doesn't move. I do not know if this is a problem, as I know that there is leverage from the clutch pedal, and legs are (normally) stronger than arms.

James
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's right James. With hands it should be nigh-on impossible to move bar for a bit of play...

Even with a lever it's jolly hard so what you see is normal.

Makes you realise just how hard the cable and clip actually works. That they last as long as they do is a miracle [-o<
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Gracie taught me an invaluable lesson today (one that has cost me £20.34 and 3 hours of time); if you find that the problem you are working on has a cause, fix the underlying cause before you start fixing the symptom.

As those of you who have read this post know, her clutch cable has snapped. This evening I got on with the job of replacing it. The pedal came out 'easily' (and the bolt was the easy way round), so I then started to remove the rest of the cable. As it was loose at the lever, I got this lot off (and I noticed, but did not at that time realise what it meant, that the sleeve end was mounted upside down in the retaining point on the 'box). I then removed the mounting bracket for the auto-adjustor, and then traced the cable further back. I found the cable passed through a guide point on the way to the bulkhead (which, in hind sight, I have realised that it shouldn't). I then tugged the cable, and it popped loose from the bulkhead. As it came down to me, it got caught up in the guide. When I shone a torch into the area I saw that the sleeving was worn through completely (but I didn't grasp the meaning of this at the time. I know, bl00dy stupid idiot!). I cut through the sleeving, and got all the remains of the cable out of the way.

The experts among you will now be thinking "Why did this happen? Find out now". I'm not an expert. I got on with the task of replacing the clutch cable. I got the cable back through the bulkhead, fitted to the clip, and the pedal back into place in about half an hour (all on my own, I might add. I was so pleased at the time). I got the cable down to roughly the right route, but it kept getting hung up. It was then I saw that the offside handbrake cable was getting in the way, and was showing signs of wear roughly at the point when it passed close to the clutch cable. Then it dawned on me; that guide was for the handbrake cable, not the clutch cable. Fortunately I had replacement handbrake cables, so I could replace them at this time; Gracie was up at the front, and I could get on with it (so I did). About an hour later, both cables were done, and I could get back to the original problem of the clutch cable.

This is where things went wrong, and my lack of foresight caught up with me. During my work on the handbrakes I must have knocked the auto adjuster on the clutch cable. It didn't like this, and the security clip came off. By the time I found this out all of the slack had gone west, and I could not get the cable onto the clutch lever. I could not reset the auto adjustor (and if anybody knows if this can be done, a clear explanation would be VERY much appreciated).

What I think is that a previous 'mechanic' (yeah, right) has replaced the cable and routed it incorrectly (end cup the wrong way up, and passing through a guide that it had no rights to).

Oh well, back to GSF tomorrow. With luck (and a d4mn3d sight more care) Gracie will be back on the road before Christmas. Wish me good luck, please!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I am glad to report that Gracie is now mobile again. Two hours hard work in a continual shower, and I got the clutch cable fitted and working properly. It feels so light that I thought the cable had come adrift (but I couldn't work out how, I was very careful this time!).

Before I got to work I wrapped the auto adjuster and securing clip in packing tape. There was no way I was going to let them part company until I was ready for them to do so.

I have found how to get the auto adjuster into its transit/fitting position. It is tricky, so I think it would be difficult to do this while fitted to the clutch pedal. I will (in the near future) check my findings, and once I am happy I can explain it accurately, I will post it seperately. I can tell you that you will need several stout cable ties (to hold the bellows in their collapsed position), and (unless you can put an even tension onto both ends) an assistant.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Thanks to CitroJim, I now know why Gracies' side airbag light is on. The NS ECU is not responding to queries (it appears to have gone down to the pub without telling Gracie). Jim has told me that I need to take the trim off to get at it, but (due to time constraints) we weren't able to do it then. Please can somebody explain how to remove the trim cleanly. I would like to find out what the problem is, and get it fixed.

Thanks.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Removing that trim is easy James...

Send the passenger seat fully forward and where the trim splays out at the bottom by the sill you'll see two T20 Torx screws. Remove those and gently prise the trim off - bottom up- it is held at the top under the top part of the trim and will just slide from under.

You'll see the ECU hiding in there. It will have an orange label on it...
Jim

VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

After following CitroJim's instructions you'll see the ECU.
Pics combined from a scrap car. Mine doesn't have a side airbag.

C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Thanks to both CitroJim, who narrowed down the fault, and mirafioriman for providing the side airbag ECU, Gracie is now aware of all of her airbags, and has stopped showing any warning lights. Thanks gents, your assistance is much appreciated by both myself and Gracie!
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 23 Feb 2013, 16:31, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's brilliant news James :-D
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Drat! I started to replace the rear discs, only to find that they liked being a part of Gracie, and weren't prepared to let go. I gave up after a short while, as I had to weigh up the chance of putting her off the road. I think that I will need to remove the guard and tap the disc from the back, unless anybody has a better idea.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Hi James.. Are you replacing them? They can rust onto the hub very well.. I find if a good heavy lump hammer on the tops don't help then yes remove the rear guard and knock them off from the back.. But don't be light handed.. You need some force. They really can stick...
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Too much force on a stuck disc with a hammer can damage the wheel bearing. You might not notice a change right away but if the hardening on the surface of the balls or race gets chipped they will wear unusually fast. Just something to keep in mind...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Yes, I am replacing them. Once I have them off I intend to slap some copper grease onto the facing surfaces to make it easier replacing them in the future.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Before doing too much banging and hammering get some Plus-gas working in there over a few days. Then, rather than bang the disc itself, as I agree with Simon about bearings, give it some good dead-beat clouts on the area where the wheels studs go through and then with a big pry-bar try some levering. Lever, rotate, lever, rotate. Then bang on the hub face again and repeat until they get the idea.

Banging on the hub face should not damage the bearings.

That has worked beautifully for me on many front discs that have been disinclined to want to shift...

I must admit I've not tried it on rears as I've not needed to but I see no reason why it should not work...

Be very careful of the ABS sensor as it's vulnerable to any violent work in that area...
Jim