Quest TV last night

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Quest TV last night

Post by myglaren »

Oddly enough the first was Berwick, just a little north of here.
No problem with freeview or analogue, I can see the transmitters from the end of the road :)
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Funnily enough when they turned off the terrestrial analogue signal, the digital one went down in quality for a few days.

I think the old freeview box (one of the first, brought years ago before there was much to see) used to do the 'lockup' thing occasionally too.

The new "free" one is terrible though, to be blunt you cannot preview a channels content (listing) without switching to it, so its very difficult to channel surf for something watch-able, whereas the old one would display say now / next for a group of five channels.

I do know what you mean about a vs d though, at least with analogue you see interference, digital if you're lucky you get pixelation, or no signal at all :D

I think Germany still uses analogue satellites (Eutelsat and Astra) I must check as I still have my motorised dish and box up although there's no tv in that room. They did have English language programs sometimes too.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

spider wrote:Did anyone see "South Beach Classics" on Quest (Freeview channel 38) last night ?

Amongst other things they had a white Peugeot cabrio (a RHD in America, probably a bit rare in itself?) although I missed nearly all that part. I think it was a 304 but I'm not sure.
Interesting programme for the variety of cars and Robin's nice to look at too!

The guy Peter bought the 304 a block away, and then took it to Ted.

The episode the 304 appeared in is called "Restoration Blues."

Peter paid $600 Ted bought it off him for $1600, and after it was advertised on the web site, apparently the same day a guy wanted to buy it!

Ted wanted $6500, and the guy offered $3500, the car then sold at $5000, and bear in mind it was in a state (no not just Miami) it needed restoration, and the buyer said at the end he was prepared to pay $6500, but was pleased to pay $5000, and it was also still on the English title as they called it, note the way they say the make sounds like Poojo!

Info on the episode here..............

http://digiguide.tv/programme/Documenta ... es/992484/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note it was not listed here............

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/other ... videos.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

You freeview viewers, have you made sure you've got the latest firmware/settings if they have the update option?
Anyone with a sky dish that doesn't want to keep paying the Murdochs once their subscription is up can get a freesat card for about £20 that lasts something like 3 years (they have to keep changing the encryption codes)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Just had a thought - they were supposed to supply a free Freeview box on changeover (or before, ideally) what happened to that? I have never been offered one, not that I need one.
Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening »

CitroJim wrote:Did anyone see Classic Car Rescue on CH5 last night?

What a load of old cobblers :twisted: Entertaining but technically very questionable. I'd love to know how they replaced a worn piston in the engine of the E-Type without major engine surgery and how having the Stromberg carb dashpots too full of oil was the sole cause of the engine running problems :roll: :roll:

It looked like it was a great bodge-up from start to finish...
Just seen it as recorded it...

That was some smoke it was belching out to just be too full of oil in the dashpots surely...

He's some character that Bernie... :lol:

What on earth was he on about at the end - he had Dylan Miles from RM Auctions come around and value it at £30,000 and then they started celebrating that they'd earnt £10,000... :? They hadn't sold it and it was just a valuation... :roll: #-o
Franklin
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

myglaren wrote:Just had a thought - they were supposed to supply a free Freeview box on changeover (or before, ideally) what happened to that? I have never been offered one, not that I need one.
If you or your partner are aged 75 or over, on the following social security benefits: Attendance Allowance, Constant Attendance Allowance (CAA) under the Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit scheme and CAA and War Pensioners Mobility Supplement under the pre-2005 War Pensions scheme or you, your partner or dependant child are registered as blind or partially sighted AND you are on Pension Credit, Income Support or income-based Jobseeker's Allowance you may be entitled to a free digital freeview box, plus if you need it you could get help to install it.

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

When I first heard of the changeover they said that every household with a TV would be supplied with a Freeview box, then they worried that homes with multiple TVs would need one for each TV, then it all went very quiet.

It's all academic as far as I am concerned and wouldn't qualify under those ^ terms anyway.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Don't recall anything about all homes getting a free box, and when it first came out it wasn't Freeview, so maybe it was something ITV Digital offered before they went bust?

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

No, it was a government thing, independent of TV companies.

I saw this morning that I had Quest.
For about ten seconds while binning all the crap stations.

As Mr Springsteen once said "1,000 channels and nothing on"
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

myglaren wrote:No, it was a government thing, independent of TV companies.
Ah that would explain it. Didn't they also say "Things can only get better"

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

They also said "You've never had it so good"!
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

The supplied freeview box (we have one) is not brilliant. They are not free though ours was £40. One redeeming feature is its remote can be programmed to operate the tv too, Sky remote style in effect.

Regarding updates settings it has none, its a simple model. To compound matters the EPG time is an hour out since the clocks changed in March (just the EPG the 'info' when changing channels is correct as is the clock when viewing the listings)

There is not a setting to adjust it, leaving it unplugged for hours did not help. I am told a 'cure' is to leave it unplugged for over 24 hours.

Reminds me of my (still have it) intelligent VCR, it sets the time via the teletext signal so you can guess what it does now. :D , to be fair it is possible to set it manually once I can find the remote.

The box we brought years back was (and still is) a lot better although its had no firmware updates for a long time, it does tend to crash a bit needing a power cycle to cure although its EPG is a lot better and when it does work its great.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG