Xantia wiring diagrams wanted please *Speedometer working!*

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mirafioriman

Re: Xantia wiring diagrams wanted please *Eureka moment*

Post by mirafioriman »

It does live in that area but is definitely connected to the speed sensor as I cut the wiring to the speed sensor off at that multiplug.
Former Proud owner of a 1994 Citroen Xantia 1.9d and BX 19RD

Now driving an Alfa 159 but god I miss the Xantia!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

mirafioriman wrote:It does live in that area but is definitely connected to the speed sensor as I cut the wiring to the speed sensor off at that multiplug.
Now that's interesting... What was the exact model and age of the car you got the speed sensor from and saw this box?

I'll then check. It'll be a bit of a while as I'm off to Gatwick in a moment so it'll be much later today before I can look at it...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

That looks like a fan controller to me aswell. Never heard of anything like that on a Xantia either.
Pin 1 is definitely ignition live, doesent really matter where you take the feed from, just any ignition live in the under bonnet fusebox.
Pin 2 is Earth
Pin 3 is definitely the pulse to the instrument panel.
ihatecars
My Cars:

Post by ihatecars »

oh my! "Lighty" where did you get those electrical diagrams from? OK must be a dealership, we need them! Or at least to look them over. I'm thinking bribes... :beer: or maybe.. :bouncy:
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

There was a chap on ebay back along selling off a load of XM and Xantia dealer books. I picked up a set of Xantia wiring diagrams from him so if you don't get chance Jim, let me know and I'll see if I've got that section.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
mirafioriman

Post by mirafioriman »

Went to the breakers for a root around this morning. Unfortunately didn't have keys for the cars so couldn't check for an ignition live but two of the pins were earth and one was dead with power to the battery terminals.

I was wrong about that unit on ebay it's not where I thought it was. I have emailed the seller to ask where it is mounted on the car but no reply yet.

I'm going to go out now and see if my earth wire (centre pin on the multiplug) has continuity with the dash cluster. If it does I perhaps just need a live and an earth to the other two terminals on the sender.

mirafioriman

Re: Xantia wiring diagrams wanted please *Speedometer workin

Post by mirafioriman »

It's working! :)

It would appear that it doesn't have any control boxes or relays etc, well not on mine anyway :)

I don't think that plug I found (although it fits the speed sensor) is there for fitting an electronic speedo after all. I used the plug and wiring I got from the breakers.

For those who are interested the grey wire is earth, the light brownish one is the live and the green goes to the dash cluster (red multiplug, fifth pin from the left)

There wasn't a wire in my multiplug for the fifth pin but it's easy enough to insert the appropriate sized wire into the plug, which is what I did.

Now, currently the wire to the dash cluster comes in through the driver's window :lol: Where is the best place to get the wire into the passenger compartment from under the bonnet :?:

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Well done, excellent work =D> :-D
mirafioriman wrote: Now, currently the wire to the dash cluster comes in through the driver's window :lol: Where is the best place to get the wire into the passenger compartment from under the bonnet :?:
Umm, I'd say through the hole now vacated by the speedo cable or thread it in beside the bonnet release cable,,,
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mirafioriman

Post by mirafioriman »

Yes the wire comes through the old speedo cable. Couldn't get the whole cable out but got the inner out and fed the wire though :)

Straightened up my column switches and column shroud too :)

It's so good to have a quiet, working speedometer that doesn't bounce around and make a clicking noise =D>

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I'm wondering now if I can do this mod on my XM.. It has a broken upper speedo cable but the lower half cable which drives the electronic speed sensor for the trip computer and ECUs is working fine...

Is it possible transplant a later electronic XM speedo into mine? :-k

A new project I reckon...
Jim

mirafioriman

Post by mirafioriman »

If it works the same then it should be possible. Interestingly there is an XM in my local breakers I got the Xantia parts from.