Life on the edge - the Diary of a C5

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

harryp
(Donor 2022)

Re: Life on the edge - the Diary of a C5

Post by harryp »

The Aston looks very much like a wrench I bought at the NEC years ago, but considerably beefed up as the thin sides caused a considerable amount of instability. Gave considerable grip on pipe!
Regards, Harry

2000 Nov Forte HDI 110 hatch in Wicked Red; currently SORN
2000 Mar Exclusive HDI hatch in Quartz; currently SORN
2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Peugeot 207cc 1.6 Roland Garros
Xantianut

Post by Xantianut »

Evening all.

Attached is a pic of Daddy's Weapons Grade hammer. It nearly qualifies as a Weapon of Mass Destruction. The offside caliper is off. The near side has a gap at the top but Papa's cold chisel is googats so he has reground it with his angle grinder and even heat treated it!!

The lack of space to swing his hammer makes his arm ache but he's getting there....

Maybe his newly reshaped cold chisel will help?

Hoping all will be well.

Otterchops.
Attachments
IMG_1177.JPG
C5 HDi 110 SX (Fifi 7 or Otterchops)

RIP
Citroen Xantia 1.8i LX (Fifi 6)
BX16TRS (x2) (Fifi 4 and 5)
BX19DTR (Fifi 2)
BX14E (x2) (Fifi 1 and 3)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Call that a hammer? That's barely toffee-hammer grade :lol:

Tell daddy he needs to get a bigger one ;) Both his arm and you will thank him for it :)

You should see mine!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

That's a HAMMER?!? It is barely large enough to give a cockroach a love tap! I have a 1KG lump hammer in the boot of my C5, and it has done sterling service (in conjunction with other tools) in safely (other than smacking thumb nails!!!) removing otherwise recalcitrant car parts.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Xantianut

Post by Xantianut »

Please, don't give him ideas!!!!

RIP
BX19DTR (Fifi 2)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Xantianut wrote: 16 Feb 2023, 19:44 Please, don't give him ideas!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm whispering in his ear now...

'you must get a 4lb club hammer... You need a 4lb club hammer... Your life will bee complete bliss when you have a 4lb club hammer... Succumb to the temptation and get that 4lb club hammer... You and Otter are worth it.... Go for it... 4lb club hammer...'
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

Agree bigger hammers required.

2.5 Lb is good for medium violence
4 Lb for more persuasion

Have used a sledge (14 Lb) on rare occasion but tended to make my steel workbench "wander" on the rebound. Got the job done though! (406 front wishbone bushes)

Tends to show up the inadequacies of my arms when upping the hammer size! But is definitely something to said for get a bigger hammer.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

A bit like breaker bars Matt, bigger often means less damage... And one big dead blow carefully delivered is often more effective and less damaging than a series of furiously delivered blows from a smaller one...

As in breaker bars - using a long one gently often will undo a tight nut/bolt with a lot less grief than heaving on a short one...
Jim

MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

CitroJim wrote: 17 Feb 2023, 11:48 And one big dead blow carefully delivered is often more effective and less damaging than a series of furiously delivered blows from a smaller one...
Absolutely agree!
Especially so on suspension components where often a proportion of the strike is taken up by the suspension moving rather than your intended action.

I have found a recent exception, where four hundred thousand little taps gave no damage, but increasing it just slight soon broke things! That exception was the fuel tank pickup securing ring. Little tiny taps with little tiny hammer are the answer there, anything more just broke some of the webs off with ease, even though I thought I was still being fairly restrained!

Only have a big breaker bar, neatly avoids the risk of using a small one in wrong scenario :-D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I love your exception that proves the rule Matt 😀
Jim

MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

CitroJim wrote: 17 Feb 2023, 15:51 I love your exception that proves the rule Matt 😀
I didn't love it at the time! The difficulty in getting it back on straight and sealing, would have much preferred a "wallop the living daylights out of it" type job!! :-D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

MattBLancs wrote: 17 Feb 2023, 15:54
CitroJim wrote: 17 Feb 2023, 15:51 I love your exception that proves the rule Matt 😀
I didn't love it at the time! The difficulty in getting it back on straight and sealing, would have much preferred a "wallop the living daylights out of it" type job!! :-D
Oh gosh yes Matt, I've had some 'fun' with those in the past so I very much feel your pain... I've not had to put it to the test yet but I hear a 'spanner' made from a suitable lump of MDF or plywood can do a good job...

I've used MDF to make a couple of other special tools in the past - for 4HP20 gearboxes...
Jim

Xantianut

Post by Xantianut »

You rotten swines!!!!!

Papa is looking at BIG hammers!!

As if his Ripper's Hammer isn't bad enough!

Yes, it is the same make and model as Peter Sutcliffe's and my Grandpapa was interviewed several times AND it was forensically tested.

He does give a big wrecking bar. That was how he split his 16mm socket. A long breaker bar with an even longer piece of scaffolding tube on it. Yep, my brake bolts were solid.....

RIP
BX19DTR (Fifi 2)
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Otterchops, while we may have been taking the p155, we are also right that you need the right tools for the job and (whether you believe it or not) a decent weighted, properly balanced hammer can make a difficult job far easier. I have a Draper impact driver, which looks like a heavy duty screwdriver. The idea is that, when you use it to loosen off a stubborn bolt, you need that heavy impact to both turn the bolt (through 90 degrees) and to shock it loose. Hitting the impact driver with a light hammer will do absolutely nothing (other than to waste energy and time), whereas the heavy hammer get things moving.

Let me put it this way. You have a nice big heavy duty engine that allows you to waft along with hardly any effort. This means that Papa, Mama and the hounds have a nice, restful journey. Now imagine what it would be like for all of you if your engine was a gutless, underpowered lump. How would that be for you all?
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 17 Feb 2023, 21:27, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

CitroJim wrote: 17 Feb 2023, 18:13
MattBLancs wrote: 17 Feb 2023, 15:54
Oh gosh yes Matt, I've had some 'fun' with those in the past so I very much feel your pain... I've not had to put it to the test yet but I hear a 'spanner' made from a suitable lump of MDF or plywood can do a good job...

I've used MDF to make a couple of other special tools in the past - for 4HP20 gearboxes...
Discussed at length here viewtopic.php?t=72148
Peter struggled with his too. My "special tool" on page 2

Think is either first or second time I've interacted with one of these (can't think why I had one of these off in the past but have a recollection it's not first time)
But I can say with certainty I won't rush into removing one of these again!

I think the "proper" specific tool is steel, reaches over the top, like a big three leg oil filter wrench? It's slightly in a dip on the C5, awkward to get at it really.

Wood is a good thought for that job as it'd cushion the blows a touch too. My bent nail worked ok, have saved it for future use, (but still hope to never need it!) :)