Life on the edge - a Recommendation!!!

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Xantianut

Re: The diary of a C5

Post by Xantianut »

Hello, friends.

Well!!

Where do I start?

Papa has settled down but his rear end is still blasting off at regular intervals!! So much so that every time he did my windows bulged until I looked like a Ford Sierra when we got to Moseley! And he's been on the scrounge again, liberating a couple of pieces of plywood although one was too big even for my capacious boot.

At least things are a bot easier and I shall find it easier to sleep without the sound of constant loo flushing. What HAS the old fool eaten?

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

What's he been eating?

Been on the curry again has he?

Xantianut

Post by Xantianut »

Hello, Jim.

We really do not know what he has been eating and wonder if it was some sort of tummy bug. All is better now.

I roared across the mountains to Wales yesterday to deliver the ply. Papa was going to fix it to the roof but when we got there it was raining. Heavily. Too heavily for him to go up and do anything because the old fool had forgotten that when it rains in North Wales, it rains horizontally!!!! It was a nice run there and back and I managed nearly 50mpg, pretty good for a big, old, powerful car with a lot of weight up one way, even if I do say so myself.

On the way out he stopped at his favourite roadside cafe, the Toll Booth just the far side of Llangollen. He came back with a massive sausage sandwich and a massive wedge of lemon cake. He scoffed the lot and was mightily pleased!!! Oh, and the Llangollen Railway were running a diesel multiple unit. No turbos but it was at least diesel powered!

He was planning on some chips on the return journey but the (very) short stay meant that this was not possible or advisable so he bought some crisps and chocolate and pronounced himself happy.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Pleased papa is now better :D

I was going to say, if you are anywhere near Llangollen a visit to the railway is mandatory and I hope papa donated to the fund to help close the 'gap' and enable the new station at Corwen to be opened ;)

I like old diesel railway locomotives almost as much as I like steam ones... In some way moreso...

Xantianut

Post by Xantianut »

Hello, friends!

Papa is having a busy month and so am I. We have been to North Wales twice now to try and patch the roof but my effiecient wipers have been going raving mad both times so the roof still leaks like a very leaky roof.

Papa has a couple of new photo projects at Moseley Old Hall. This is a National Trust Property where Maman and Papa work and there are some nice cars belonging to other volunteers. He does get diesel money for me so that's OK. This will mean a few extra trips to Moseley so he can take his pictures which suits me. The car park is a great sun trap so I can work on my tan. Not that it makes any difference, I am still the same grey as I ever was.

Looking forward to the Severn Valley diesel gala next week and hoping Papa can buy me an 8 cylinder Paxman engine. I like the sound of these and I am sure that the Clayton will not miss one....

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2021

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Nice one, Otterchops, but be careful about getting too much sun. It can make the passenger space too hot for Papa and Maman, and might also (over time) affect your lacquer, causing it to peel and flake (mind you, this is less likely to happen to you or Bluebird than to a red car).

Xantianut

Post by Xantianut »

Hello, Hell Razor!

Papa keeps polishing me with my special wax which he says will stop that from happening. I don't know about that but I do like being pampered!

Xantianut

Post by Xantianut »

Hello, friends.

My Papa has gone purple again!

My right hand headlight bulb blew so Papa changed it, without removing my headlight unit. Not being able to see what he has doing behind my hydraulic pump, he undid the wrong end of the clip which went PING!!!! Into my chassis leg! So he had to put a sponge scourer in to try and hold the bulb in place. Which it did not, predictably. After a few naughty words, he bought some clips at Halfrauds.

He's just tried to fit them and they were the wrong size. Cue more naughty words! Then he had an idea, why not glue the bulb in with a brittle glue? Then he discovered that the only way to do this was to remove my front bumper. Cue more swearing! However, my headlight now works properly and I am back together. Small wonder the old fool needs a lie down!

Looks like a trip to Walsall is on the cards.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

I did that first time and ended up at a scrapyard to get a replacement - I wasn't aware they were available from factors.

Not sure where they cam from but I appear to have several of them now.

That said I generally find it easier to remove the bumper anyway.

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2021

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Bluebird had something similar when I got her. For a few quid I got a replacement clip (and cover) from my local scrapyard (along with the cover for the LDS reservoir).

Xantianut

Post by Xantianut »

Hello, MyGlaren!

As Papa found out, my headlamp clips are not available from factors. Or rather, the ones he can get so not fit.

I'm always nervous around scrapyards but, if that's the only option then we shall do that. We shall try the Citroen agent over in Walsall 1st though.

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2021

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I will see if I can get to a scrappy next week (possibly Wednesday), to see what I can find. Which light bulb (H1 or H7), and do you need the cover for it?

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, I suppose a good, healthy car visiting a scrapyard is akin to a person visiting a mortuary....

Xantianut

Post by Xantianut »

Hello, friends!

Is it a different clip on the dip beam to the main beam? Papa can copy the shape! He's just done that to make a new clip for my door locker which I think is better than the original from brass wire! If not, Papa will remove BOTH my headlights, leaving me blind for a few hours while he makes the clip......

It is good to have a resourceful Papa.....

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2021

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I do not know if the clip is different (as I have not needed to remove the H1 clip). H1 is for main beam, H7 is Dip and Fog light. I cannot get to the scrap yard tomorrow, but I hope to go next week.