Life on the edge - the Diary of a C5

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Xantianut

Re: The diary of a C5

Post by Xantianut »

Mine had a undertray but it was damaged so that was that. I cannot be bothered to replace it and go through all the faff of removing the €$¥# thing every time I do an oil change. Guess which list the undertray is on!

The engine cover makes the engine look smart. I removed it because none of the rubber studs were present and the vibration of the cover on the oil filler cap was causing them to make a break for,freedom, only to get stuck in the steering rack area. I went through three, one found during the head rebuild and the other while servicing the brakes! The third one? Never found it!!!!

Hopefully they should be here next week so she can look smart with the bonnet up!
Xantianut

Post by Xantianut »

Hello, friends!

Otterchops here.

Papa is once again covered in oil! He has changed my engine oil, air filter and oil filter. He was going to change my fuel filter but I caught him out! I have a Siemens filter fitted in the midst of an all Bosch system. At least, that is what Papa said, without the swears! It has three pipe connectors plus an electrical plug which Papa thought must be Bosch. He really should know better, shouldn't he? Hopefully, he can exchange the wrong part for the right one.

He has also discovered a heinous bodge perpetrated by a previous keeper (no Papa would do this!). My left hand headlamp had gone out so Papa changed the bulb. When he removed the screw cap, he discovered that some Bodger had crammed the bulb in upside down then, finding the clip did not fit, threw it away and help the bulb in with a SPONGE SCOURER! Some people do not deserve a proper car!

I am glad I have a proper Papa now, who fixes me properly. He is on the Bay trying to find a replacement clip!

Love

Otterchops!

:teabag:
daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

Dearie me Ottorchops! I think you need to go to your previous home and run your old daddy over. Say you couldn't see him cos your eyes were really sore and one wasn't even really working!

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

What they did to your headlamp is shocking Otterchops :evil:

I hope Papa will make it right [-o<
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2021

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I would suggest popping down to your local scrap yard. I found on my C5 that her offside engine cover was missing, as was the inner light cover, and a length of wood was holding the H4 bulb in place (I REALLY am NOT kidding). Popped down to my scrappy, and for £10 I got the missing engine cover (and securing clips), light cover, and retaining clip. OK, I still have things to do on her, but those bits made her feel a bit better.
Xantianut

Post by Xantianut »

Ay up!

I have seen suitable clips for £7 on the Bay so I reckon I'll go with that. As for the undertray? Pain in the backside so I'll live without it. When I Adopted her, she had all her engine bay trims fitted although fixed with cable ties. Soon put that right.....

Bodgery Unlimited! I thought it was just the cosmetics that had been bodged!

I am amazed at the difference the acoustic hood has made to the engine. It is much, much quieter and, having the 4 rubber studs no longer removes the oil cap! I found A lost oil cap during the oil change, BTW, nestling next to the turbo, took some,wiggling out in a confined space but out the bugger came. Much to Fifi's light because it was occasionally rattling. This accounts for all 4 of them now.......

As for the knock, it sounds to be from the strut top area. So, thoughts? Just struck me, a loose nut?

Or has anyone known C5 strut tops to wear like Xantia ones did? She has done 190k miles. So the engine is nicely run in......
Xantianut

Post by Xantianut »

:bouncy: Hello, friends!

I think my Papa is an expert Bodger! My near side headlamp is giving a much better beam shape than ever before and this is before the new clip arrives! We tried it out today and I can see much, much better on dip beam than ever before.

Papa says I Shouldn't kick the swine who committed the bodge in the 1st place but that is not the way of the Citroen! I'll have him, just you wait and see!

The oil change went well, as did the air filter change but I am still waiting for a new fuel filter! Papa says he has ordered one so I must be patient. And when it arrives, he will fit it. He has also bought some gearbox oil to top my gearbox up. I have the type of 'box with a filler / level plug in the end so should be nice and easy.

Any ideas as to how I can make it hard for Papa? :bouncy:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Xantianut wrote: Any ideas as to how I can make it hard for Papa? :bouncy:
A good trick is to spray diesel all over him when he changes your fuel filter Otterchops :twisted: :wink: :lol:

Many Citroens just love to do this...

Pleased he's done some good to help fix your eyesight =D>
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2021

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Otterchops, it depends on the thinking behind the bodge. If it was done to fix a problem (and then it slipped their mind to rectify it later), that is OK (ish). However, if it was a bodge to fool some poor unsuspecting person, then you go Girl and bite them hard in the posterior (but not in a way as to get Daddy in trouble).

In this case, stupidity was the primary cause. Don't bite them too hard (just enough to get their attention), and then explain to them (clearly, in words of one syllable) what they did wrong. Also suggest to them that, in future, they get a trusted garage to do any complicated work and (judging by the level of their stupidity) that means ANYTHING and EVERYTHING (including adding the fuel!).
Xantianut

Post by Xantianut »

Hello, friends!

At least my current Papa knows how to mend things properly, although if I do see the fool who did this, I shall give him what for!

My headlamp bulb is now correctly fitted and clipped in with the proper wire clip.

Some pics my Daddy took. With 5 litres of old oil lurking around, he used it to clean my underbonnet mouldings. Nice, innit?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2021

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Damn, Otterchops! You is looking really hot there. It puts my C5 to shame ("You are not kidding there. Get on and do something about it!". Heck, how did she get up the stairs AGAIN).
Xantianut

Post by Xantianut »

Ay up!

I worry about some people........

And I'm one of them!!!!
Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger »

OH LOOK....................Its got a BATTERY TRAY !

Nice and clean mate
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote:OH LOOK....................Its got a BATTERY TRAY !
And a flower in its lapel :)
Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger »

Needs CHROME !