Xsara BE3 Clutch Trouble

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dandare1980
My Cars:

Re: Xsara BE3 Clutch Trouble

Post by dandare1980 »

Thank you for all the helpful comments.

I've found some Valvoline HP PC Gear Oil 75W80 on Eurocarparts website, which suggests it's for Citroen/Peugeot applications, although doesn't say it's BV compatible:

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-a ... &1&cc5_868

If I enter the "midmonth30" code at the checkout it means I can currently buy 2 litres for £11.24 inc. VAT.

Dan.
1998 Citroen Xsara 1.9 D Estate (XUD9A indirect injection engine DJY with Bosch XUD 211 injection pump).
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's the stuff Dan :) Order it quick!!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
dandare1980
My Cars:

Post by dandare1980 »

Thanks Jim, it's ordered and on the way.

Others have recommended replacing the input shaft seal too, is this accessible inside the bell housing if the gearbox is slid to one side during clutch removal, or will I need to drop the box out to do this?

I've nearly got all the bits.

Dan.
1998 Citroen Xsara 1.9 D Estate (XUD9A indirect injection engine DJY with Bosch XUD 211 injection pump).
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

You'll need to box out to do the input seal - and you will also need to remove the release arm - see my earlier post about that!
Richard W
dandare1980
My Cars:

Post by dandare1980 »

Thanks for confirming that Richard, I may decide not to venture that far if it becomes a pain to remove the gearbox completely.

Dan.
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

should only need to replace the input shaft seal(it comes complete with sleeve, stocked by ecp) if the sleeve has been wrecked by the release bearing chewing it up. (very common). You don't need to remove the release arm to change this, just lift it up and twist it. Dropping the box out is by far the easiest way to do the clutch, on the non-turbo it's a pretty simple job as gearboxes go. I normally allow 3 hours, so 5 should be a realistic target for someone not familiar with the task.
dandare1980
My Cars:

Post by dandare1980 »

Ok, I think I better pick one up as a precaution as I'm not sure how badly knackered it all is inside that bell housing.

I've learnt this morning that the clutch release bearing slides back to rest on the shaft sleeve when not in action and the shaft can wear or become pitted if the bearing is wearing out. This apparently can then cause the release bearing to catch, twist, or jam and not fully return to its resting point, which can cause the clutch to slip. If the sleeve is worn it can also cause the clutch pedal to feel higher resistance or jerky and the bearing will not slide freely as it should (some of my symptoms)

My non-turbo appears to have good space around the gearbox, once you remove the battery it's the only thing left on that side of the engine.

I shall try and remove it after all.

Thanks for your help,

Dan.
dandare1980
My Cars:

Post by dandare1980 »

In today's post I received a LUK RepSet Clutch kit comprising of a Friction Plate, Pressure Plate and a Release Bearing (£78.63), a pair of Gearbox Driveshaft Oil seals (£8.89) plus a pair of Fork Lever Bearings (£7.49).

UPDATE: Now got the Guide Bush/Primary Shaft Seal (£7.95), waiting for the transmission fluid to arrive.

What took me by surprise was how thin the friction plate material is, should it really look like a barely legal brake pad? Also, the yellow spring in the photo appears really flimsy, is that normal?

The clutch kit did not come with any grease, am I looking for high temperature stuff like lithium grease?

Last edited by dandare1980 on 14 Sep 2012, 16:45, edited 4 times in total.
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

Perfectly normal
dandare1980
My Cars:

Post by dandare1980 »

Thank you flying clutchman,

It was a very daft question, but it's the first time I've seen one up close :oops:

Quite amazing to think that all of the engine's power is being transferred via that skinny friction plate.

Dan :)
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

And it you haven't been abusing it you may well find that the plate that's in there doesn't look much different!
Richard W
dandare1980
My Cars:

Post by dandare1980 »

Right, eventually getting started after some set backs and procrastination!

Picked up some "MolyGrease" from GSF, hopefully this contains enough Molybdenum Disulphide (it's largely lithium based) to be good for use on the clutch parts.

A very thin smear I will add....

Setting the car up ready for draining the gearbox oil later.

Will update after the weekend to let you know of the outcome.

I've been offered 2 months of work today (came out of the blue), but I've got to start on Tuesday!

Nothing like the motivation of a deadline.

Wish me luck..........

EDIT: Quick silly question about the driveshaft seals, do I leave the plastic protection teeth in place after the driveshaft is fitted (see above in previous post)?

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

dandare1980 wrote: EDIT: Quick silly question about the driveshaft seals, do I leave the plastic protection teeth in place after the driveshaft is fitted

yes they stay there
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
dandare1980
My Cars:

Post by dandare1980 »

Thanks Malcolm.