auto dipping rear view mirrors on C5 comfort?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bob1954

Re: auto dipping rear view mirrors on C5 comfort?

Post by Bob1954 »

That is what I had heard, but luckily I don't live in the UK any more, so not stuck with these issues. No hydraulics for me is not Citroen, end...
Bob1954

Post by Bob1954 »

os72 wrote:Interesting with all the inputs! No one with the Comfort model who has the dipping function?
Well, tried it yesterday. Engine on, into reverse, adjust mirrors, out of reverse, no change.....
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

I'd like to add my experience to this topic. I've tried everything to make this work, and didn't figure it out, concluding at this time that this isn't possible on my car. In the older C5 booklet there was a page saying this can be done, however, in the newer booklet's this is not mentioned anymore. I've asked at my Citroen Shop, they too are not aware if this was ever possible on any C5 (2008+) models.

I would really like that feature, it would really add the safety when driving in reverse (especially for those that use the rearview mirrors while maneuvering).
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Just a detail I've found out while researching the Citroen Documentation ... there are several types of outside mirrors that are fitted to the C5 X7 ... 7 different types, to be exact ... one is with the electro-chromed glass (the same function as the inner central rear-view mirror, which dims itself while being lit by the vehicle behind you at night) ... the other six are actually 3 (double because of the regular or toned mirror glass option) ... now, of the 3 remaining after the intro breakdown, one is the electrical mirror with retraction function, one without the retraction function ... and the third has the retraction function and MEMORY ... I would put my money on it, that this is the actual (and probably only) mirror type that can store and recall the user-defined position while being put in reverse ...
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Thought "confort" was a French spec. One below the Exclusive and one above the "Attraction". The also have "Business" spec. and "Millennium" special editions. . There are different names all over the world. I think the Australians get a "Seduction", but it might be American.
However, I have all the features on my X7 Exclusive, but the "dip" function on the nearside mirror is not always a boon. Try reversing into a supermarket space between two cars with your nearside mirror showing you a spot on the ground where the kerb would be, when what you want to see is the wing of the car next to your intended parking space. Handy if you habitually park nearside to a kerb, but not much use if you don't. I've stopped mine from dipping when reverse is engaged, as it was a bleedin' nuisance.
Can't remember how I set it, but I have a feeling it was done using the seat memory buttons.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

qprdude wrote: Try reversing into a supermarket space between two cars with your nearside mirror showing you a spot on the ground where the kerb would be, when what you want to see is the wing of the car next to your intended parking space. Handy if you habitually park nearside to a kerb, but not much use if you don't. I've stopped mine from dipping when reverse is engaged, as it was a bleedin' nuisance.
Can't remember how I set it, but I have a feeling it was done using the seat memory buttons.
Same with my old one, it WAS pain in the harris VERY shortly after the "new toy" feeling wore off.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Well, in my case, I never use the rear view mirrors while reversing, because I turn my head, watch through the rear door glass, and have perfect overview of everything around me, never made a mistake in my 9 years of driving ... the dipping would be helpful to see what's on the road (bricks, wood, etc ...) .. just as a precaution before starting to reverse, to avoid running over anything that wouldn't benefit the rear tyres ... we're all different of course ... :)
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Advanced driving in UK means you HAVE to be able to reverse using mirrors. That apart, if you ever have to drive a van you have no option. The other reason to learn of course is more likely be a future requirement. Wait till you get to your 60's, then you might be a bit more restricted in turning your head!
I'm able to turn my head without problems, but the time might come when the ability to manoeuvre using mirrors only will become vital.( I've yet to hit anything in 40+ years of reverse driving, but I'm aware that there could always be a first time) Mirrors and direct vision are always best.

Of course, having rear park assist sensors on my last 3 cars has probably helped just a tiny bit! :-**
Rick.

vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

My previous and first car was a Xsara '98, and I didn't like the outside rear view mirrors, the image wasn't distorted, but I just couldn't find myself depending on it since a few times it happened that I was way too close for comfort to my surroundings when I decided to drive just by the mirrors (reverse, of course) ... I'm aware that using the mirrors (depending on the mirrors to be more precise) is an advanced skill (truck drivers come to mind immediately), but for me, and for now, direct eyesight is unbeatable ... but of course, if I had to drive by the mirrors, you don't have any options then ... maybe a rear-view camera or a periscope ... :D ...
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Yes, my daughter has a rear camera on her Land Rover Discovery. I had a try and it seemed pretty good. Still used the mirrors though, as it's just a habit. Having driven works vans and lorries for many years, it's second nature now.
Rick.

EED123
My Cars: Xantia II 2000 2hdi 110cv
C5 2005 2.2 break 133cv
c5 2010 2.0 tourer 163cv

Post by EED123 »

HI guys I had C5 2010 163hp hdi tourer. About vin nummer after I checked in citroen, I got "EXTERIOR REAR VIEW MIRROR (GLASS APPEARANCE) ELECTROCHROME EXT REAR VIEW MIRRORS" Characteristics.
Sofar I don't had it as extra... On my oldie c5 (2005) I've got it and I used a lot of times...
If there are option to put it on lexia???
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Which feature are you talking about not having? There were lots of options for the mirrors - not all had the electrochrome function - it depended on option pack.

If you are talking about the mirror dipping in reverse gear, then this option was removed from late 2009 / 2010 models onwards due to European Union regulations :roll: .

For earlier models that had this option it still works, as long as you don't have the BSI software updated. If you have the BSI updated, then this removes the option from the BSI to comply with the regulations, so there is no option to configure in Diagbox.

It is because when reversing and the mirror dips to the pavement, they say that the driver can then no longer see if there is a child behind the vehicle bumper area, as the mirror is dipped to the kerb!

They forget that vehicles with this option also have reverse parking assistance, so an object would be detected that way...

Anyway, the categories for cars changed so you couldn't have this feature and that is why it is not in most newer vehicles. So no, you cannot enable the function as it won't be in the BSI.

I still have this feature luckily :-D
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Parking assist is (I believe) a life saver, literally. I had a Skoda Octavia Elegance estate (in the past, as a company car). I was reversing in a car park when the sensor system screamed! I hit the brakes; there was nothing in view at that moment. Then a small child hove into view through a side window, followed (VERY swiftly) by a parent with a look of horrified relief across her face. If it had not been for the sensors I would have hit that child, as she was too short to be visible through the rear windscreen.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

One of mine is a 2008 VTR+ with leather interior - reverse mirror dipping works on that.

Peter
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes - if fitted as an option it will - until the BSI software is updated Peter....then it won't.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc