C5 reversing sensors towbar

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Re: C5 reversing sensors towbar

Post by Richard_C »

My C5111 came with a towbar (bought it 1 year old). On the test drive the salesperson switched off the sensors, said it would be distracting. Didn't think much about it but when I did buy it and get it home, yes the sensors did beep at the towbar. Not 100% of the time, but most times. I don't need one so took it off anyway. It was a fixed type, not sure of make now.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

Hopefully, I'll get one installed on my car in due time, and I expect it to work as it should -> trailer behind, no parking sensors (automatic disabling by the BSI), and the stability program (TPS) up and running ... anything else won't cut it (especially due to the total price of the whole procedure) ...
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7) - RIP April 2024

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

Hi,
I have fitted a detachable tow bar to my C5 and now come up with the wiring issue. On my last car, 2011 C4 (B7), I used a cheap (<£30) bypass relay and it worked as it should, however I tried to fit the same unit to my C5 (X7) and found (or?) that the two relays powering the tail lights had packed in while the relay was laying around in my garage.
NOW I will now explain the (or?) - I had a lighting board connected to the car via the 13 pin socket, brake, reverse & indicator lights worked but the tail light did not, so I connected the indicator output to the same position as the tail light would be on the trailer and still no lights, therefore I believe the relay had gone, reading up on the net I may have been wrong as it could have been a 'quirk' of Citroens wiring.

I will mainly be attaching a cycle rack to the tow bar, (NOTE - these racks sway side to side at speed).

I have researched the following:-
1, Do I get another 'cheap' bypass relay kit, but as the back wheels of the C5 will be about 3 feet in front of the weight, I expect the swaying by be amplified, and will it work?!!
2, I have looked at Genuine Citroen kits, expensive, for my pocket anyway.
3, I have looked at 'Smart' multiplex kits (£100 approx) that will work with the car an are supposed to change the ESP to TSP and turn off the rear parking sensors
http://www.rydertowing.co.uk/vehicle-da ... -oct-2008-
4, I have looked at 'normal' can bus kits (£50 approx) that can be coded into the car to do the same as above.
https://www.just-tow.co.uk/citroen-c5-e ... 505rc.html
Now the question is, what do I buy, do any of you have any experience of any of the above?
Thanks in advance
Stu
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

I am watching this thread as I have a Witter bar awaiting fitment.....fixed type (a ball, not a swan neck).
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7) - RIP April 2024

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

Update to thread above.
Item 1 - Standard can bus relay is no longer an option due to personal safety reasons.
Item 2 - Looking on the web and on the Citroen Service Box (Public) due to age of my car the part number is 9428-F7, which can be bought from France and delivered to the UK for about £132.33 or from a Citroen dealer in the UK for £141.00 + delivery as some dealers charge up to £171.
Item 3 - I received an answer to an email I sent "I have been looking at the smartcan TF2302 module, can uou tell me please if this will automatically turn off my OEM rear parking sensors when the trailer lighting socket is connected and is it compatible with my car?" - "Please refer to the data available through this link: http://www.rydertowing.co.uk/vehicle-data/sheets" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , Please note that a recode is required to activate towing-specific functions. If the parking sensors are OEM (fitted at manufacture) the module will switch them off when the vehicle is recoded."
Item 4 - No it will not .

Still pondering, trying to chose between item 2 or 3

I have now sent request to Citroen for information about their dedicated wiring loom " I am looking at fitting a towing bar to my 2011 Citroen C5, I have looked on the Citroen service site and found some part numbers can I have some advice please? After entering my VIN number I looked on the towing section, and just under the wiring loom (art Number 9428-F7 (Towbar Wiring loom 13 channels)) there is another part Part No. 9688EL(Trailer fuse box for Towbar loom). Will I need both or just the loom? I will be using the Towbar mainly for a cycle carrier and occasionally a small camping trailer.

When I get thsi reply I will make my decision accordingly but the Ryder option is looking the best cost wise but not the easiest to fit I think!!
Kkeep watching I will make my decision very soon
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7) - RIP April 2024

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

Final Update to my progress.
As I have already mentioned I have fitted a detachable (fully hidden) towbar to my 2011 C5 (Ebay for £145.38 inc P&P) manufactured by Umbra Rimorchi, only time will tell if it is any good, but reading other information they do not seem too bad.
Anyway, as stated in my earlier post I was looking into the electrics side of things and had a few options, I am not usually a chicken, but after giving all the options some thought I decided to buy the genuine kit from a very friendly Citroen Agent for £132 delivered :-D I was going to go with the Rydertowing kit but was not confident of 1 it doing evrything the OEM kit would do and how the CANBUS system would cope with the unit in the future, and the cost was £122 (ish).

I am fitting the OEM kit this afternoon and will post my comments later. Then the Diagbox will be booted up and I will find out how to turn the electric on.

Note 1 - to future fitters of Towbars (X7 Saloon).
The instructions say you have to remove the bumper, but you do not!! The joint between bumper and body alone the sides is not the easiest to separate and I was concerned about damaging the bodywork or breaking something. The TIP is to only remove the lower valance (the black bit) the old rear bumper chassis bar car be removed and the tow bar fitted reasonably easy. The lower valance unclips along the joint line from inside and there are two, 1 each end, small pieces of wire locking the ends together.

Note 2 - Citroen pricing in the UK.
If you use the accessories search function on the Citroen site it asks you for a post code so you can find you local dealer, move around the country (pick on relatives or work colleagues) as I was getting price differences for the OEM wiring kit from £141 to £205!!!
Note 3 - Trailer socket.
Problem with Genuine Citroen wiring kit is that the hole in the mounting bracket for the electrical socket has to be 48mm diameter
Note 4 - Fitting of new fuse box
This is realatively easy except it was difficult to see what was going on and I had to remove everything in the plastic shell before the fuse box fitted, then put everything back
Note 5 - Diagbox
After working out what button to push on the Diagbox software it was very quick
1, Customer Delivery
2, Trailer relay installation
3, Tick the box - Done

I will add some photos tomorrow
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Major interventions