C5 Executive V SX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: C5 Executive V SX

Post by myglaren »

Citroenmad wrote:Keeps me from doing naughty speeds too :lol:
That is a bonus. Only car I've had with cruise control was the Accord and found it very useful. Rarely do that sort of mileage to justify it these days.
I did get caught out on Thursday though.

I have extreme reactions to tobacco smoke, deodorants, perfumes and cleaning materials including laundry products.
I was very badly affected by fumes from a CNC router on Thursday that resulted in me sitting around at work for two hours until I was fit to drive home. Crashed out for a while then had to return to work to collect my glasses then go and buy diesel. My daughter wanted the car and it ran out the previous Sunday :(

Crashed out again at 9 pm and awoke again at midnight with the house full of smoke. Some t**t had lit a bonfire or similar and I had all the windows open, house full of woodsmoke.
Threw on some clothes and left the house, headed for the cliff top in South Shields where the air is fresh and clear.

I'm certain I stuck to the 70 limit until it dropped to 40, only passed a couple of slow moving cars and was aware of one following at a distance.
Realised it was a police car as I indicated that I was going to pull out into the outside lane to turn right at the roundabout we were approaching and he did the same.

Passed through the roundabout and started coughing - badly. Looked for a place to stop. After the next roundabout pulled in to a housing estate and stopped. He pulled in beside me with the old red and blues flashing.
Ran the window down but couldn't talk to him for the coughing and couldn't get a breath.
Eventually got out of the car but still unable to converse with him but he was warbling on about bad driving and breathalysers.

I had to ask him to step away as his aftershave was making things worse, which riled him up no end and he became quite aggressive.
I managed to explain, after some time, that I was over-sensitive to various aromatic substances*. He did calm down a bit but still insisted on a breath test, no result as it is weeks since I have imbibed.

He then said that I had been driving at 82mph - which I disagree with as I never exceeded 70 on the clock, and that I 'almost clipped the kerb' on a roundabout - which I do not dispute as I do drive very close to the kerbs, deliberately, about 2" clearance on roundabouts. Always have. Also I don't slow down for roundabouts as there is no need when there is no other traffic around.

Eventually he drove off after asking if I wanted and ambulance and suggesting I went to the hospital which was a mile away - things he should have done in the first instance rather than a parting shot.

As an aside, an ambulance would have been a waste of resources as there is nothing they can do - from experience - and the hospital is the worst place to be - people smoking outside, patients with smoke polluted clothing, aftershave, deodorants, perfume and fabric conditioner (which was what the policeman had) on there clothing, plus the s***e that the hospitals have in their air conditioning.

After an hour I managed to drive to the sea front in Whitburn, wandered along the beach, dozed in the car a bit then when it started raining went home to sleep for an hour before going back to work, the smoke having cleared by then, the rain helping.

This turned into a bit of a spleen venting expedition but the long and short of it is that a cruise control may have prevented the police intervention. Maybe I will get one, although I dispute the 82 mph part - had I been doing that he would have ticketed me for it, unquestionably. Sorry :(

*This is why I no longer turn up at rallies. Something I really miss but I just cannot take part any more. Among many other things.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Thinking about it a customer had a c5 2.2 and it was an sx manual. that had sat nav fitted and cruise too...

i remember the sat nav as it had the large colour display on it...im sure it was an sx too it had sx on the rear doors
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

Peter.N. wrote:Mine is a 2.2, did they have a different spec from the 2.0L?

Peter
I believe they did, according to Parkers cruise is standard on the 2.2 SX model.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Ah, that would account for it. Thanks. I don't use it though as it doesn't suit my style of driving, if I come to a long hill I would rather let the car slow down a bit than increase the trottle opening as it increases the fuel consumption.

Peter
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Thats the point yur missing peter.. cruise does NOT allow the car to speed up over the set speed down hills.. some how it holds the speed even my xm would hold its speed at the set speed down a long steep hill.... its impressive....

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

You miss my point Paul, what it does when you go up hills is to open the throttle to maintain your speed up the hill, I keep the throttle where it was and let the car slow down. when I am going down hill I let it run as fast as it wants with no throttle, that way you are using no fuel at all. If you have an mpg read out watch what happens to it next time you go up a hill with the cruise on.

Peter
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

Ah but if you let the car slow down going uphill you have to use more gas to regain the speed when you hit the flat. Speed that the cruise control maintains going up the hill in the 1st place. I find the Citroen Cruise a lot better than the Saab system that used to surge to increase speed uphill and subsequently use more fuel, i recently returned 60mpg on my 2.2 using cruise set to 60mph going to Doncaster & back from London. :shock:
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

No you don't, you just keep the trottle where it was and let it pick up speed by itself. My style of motoring would drive younger drivers to distraction but I do get 60 + mpg from my 406 Hdi and I used to get 50 + frm my XM.

I have never had more than about 50 mpg from my 2.2 driving it at a steady 60 mph, but I have recently cleaned the MAF and EGR and consumption is looking more promising now but I have yet to do a long journey to try it out.

Peter
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Peter.N. wrote:No you don't, you just keep the trottle where it was and let it pick up speed by itself. My style of motoring would drive younger drivers to distraction but I do get 60 + mpg from my 406 Hdi and I used to get 50 + frm my XM.

I have never had more than about 50 mpg from my 2.2 driving it at a steady 60 mph, but I have recently cleaned the MAF and EGR and consumption is looking more promising now but I have yet to do a long journey to try it out.

Peter
Sorry Peter, I disagree.. if you keep your foot where it is on ANY HILL in ANY car it WILL slow down, theres no two ways about it!

I know all about over run, and that a closed throttle = to 999.99mpg... But I cannot see how a car can pick up speed up hill after a flat without more throttle..

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

I thin Peter may have meant when going back downhill , or back on the flat..

anyway.. I kinda agree.. I think you can drive much more economically without Cruise.. by changing car speeds as inclines come or go.. cruise is great on long flat stretches, or if you are not worried too (as) much about economy.. or just want a rest ;) ..
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Hi John,

Peter clearly says when he is going up hill he keeps his foot where it is, then down hill release the throttle... Cruise will do that too, watch the trip computer, I always switch them to instant consumption when I get in a car that has a trip computer.. And will do when I get it fitted to mine...

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

yes I do that too Paul.. it's a useful figure..
what suprised me was that i always thought taking the load off an engine by changing up would mean less throttle / more economy.. but it seems that this is not the case.. more throttle and less revs seem better that the other way around..

I retro fitted the LCD into my coupe soon after I got it.. was a simple affair.. the right kinda of display (with a small microswitch on the side) and I think a different stalk was all..
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Yes, I was about to say not all SXs are equal - 2.2 got hydractive 3+ for instance, whereas 2.0 didn't....
Richard W
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Wow Steve, that sounds like quite an ordeal :shock: Im sorry to hear your suffering with aromas is not improving, that must be quite restricting. Still, by the sounds of things your employer is quite understanding, which must help things. Buying a used car must be quite a challenge!

Ah, I didn't know the 2.2 had cruise on SX spec, however Paul, satnav will have been optional. I did know the 2.2 got the hydractive3+, it is certainly one merit of the 2.2 that it comes with more equipment. Though that can be seen in two ways :lol:

I know what Peter is saying, if you keep your foot where it is, the car will slow when it reaches an incline. However after that incline, as you have not moved your foot, the speed you were doing before the hill will be reached again, as the throttle is constant. Likewise going down a hill, it'll speed up on free run but then maintain the speed at which your pedal is set. Saving fuel as your not putting in more to account for the gradients. Its almost a shame you cant get a device which keeps your pedal position, rather than speed :lol:

HOWEVER! Even when I'm driving a car without cruise I always stick to a set speed, varying my pedal position to maintain the speed up and down hill. I find it irritating when following cars which are speeding up and slowing down, its one reason I don't drive like that.

I also find that using cruise control at speeds at and under 50mph is more economical than driving with the pedal. I also find that the older 2.0HDi, the 110 8vs, dont do as well on fuel if the cruise is used at higher speeds, 70+. Perhaps this is due to them having a lower power output and so the engine is working harder to maintain the speed. With my later 2.0HDi 138 16v I find the cruise control significantly increases MPG, at speeds up to the national limit, and slightly beyond.

The only reason I get on average 50MPG from my 138 HDi is because I use cruise control at almost every opportunity. It is certainly not because the rest of my driving is economical! This is a driving method I have adopted more than before over the last few months and have seen an increase in MPG of 3-4. Im a bit of an outside lane chaser, so when the traffic is busy I find the speed limiter great, as once set it will only exceed my set speed if I floor the accelerator.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Citroenmad wrote:Ive done a motorway run in the Xantia today, I was really missing the cruise control which my C5 and XM has. Keeps me from doing naughty speeds too :lol:

Steve, Your 2003 C5 should have the second brake switch, so all you need is the stalk. If you get one I'll happily help you fit and code it for you. They are about £30 or so new.
With the help and mastery of DickieG and a lexia, we retrofitted Bertie the Berlingo with cruise control, it's bloody brilliant. I wouldn't be without it. Went up north in it last weekend, set the cruise to 70mph and got 47mpg out of it. I CAN get more if I use my own foot instead of the cruise, but it's not enough to make much difference, and the absence of ankle aches and leg pains from driving long distance makes the £5 I'd save on a journey well worth it.

I wish I could be bothered to fit it to Rattiva as Paul is doing, but I'm not sure I have the skill or patience. I could not possibly repeat what speeds it would keep me from doing, but I had to drive down the M4 on Sunday morning at 6:30am, and it was *empty*. Rattiva still goes very, very well indeed...