STOP light on dash with low lhm fluid level

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Re: STOP light on dash with low lhm fluid level

Post by Chris570 »

That is the wrong seal as you've said, the last thing you want is a bit of rogue rubber getting into the system so you MUST get the metal/rubber seal. Martin is very very very good and will sort you out no bother.
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening »

Chris570 wrote:Martin is very very very good and will sort you out no bother.
This - highly highly recommend... =D>
Franklin
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

I will ring Pleiades and see if they can send 2, or 3, metal ones. In the meantime I will, as I need the car now, use the rubber one I was given.

Interestingly I did call at my main Citroen dealer today and this time got a real partsman. I didn't need the vin number he said what they all say now, rubber seals only and went and found one no problem.
Well slight problem really as the one he produced was shiny rubber and thinner than the one the local garage gave me. This is the same as the one that failed...... The one from the local garage was thicker and has a matt green outer coating, like cloth but isn't.

I will use this tomorrow and refill as it should hold until I can get a real (metal) one, last naff one lasted 12 months. At least I now know I can replace the seal easily without much fluid loss so no big deal.
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Just got through to Pleiades and apparently they don't sell the metal seals separately, they only come with the pipe.......So back to the drawing board.
Does anyone have a close up of the seal as I know someone who can make one if needs be, looking at the other photo here it looked like it has grooves in it ? I assume it is flat at the top and slightly tapered at the base, so it will allow the regulator socket ridge to dig into it and form a seal. Making it from aluminium or copper should do ?

Edited to add :
Just bit the bullet and fitted the rubber seal and it did clamp down nicely. That said I will keep checking to see if I can put another 1/2 turn or so on in the next few days.
I lost about 1.5L of LHM in all so not as bad as I thought, also leaves quite a light stain on the garage floor, unlike oil.

I called four garages in all and all said only rubber available now and no metal ones available, so I had to give in even though I prefer the proper part.
Just to say again about the quality of the rubber seals, the one I was given (local garage) with a green outer coating is far superior to the plain black one the main dealer offered. The black type is what failed, I will have to wait and see with this one.
The green coated one was solider (harder to compress) and had thicker walls than the black one so hopefully it will be a permanent fix. Interesting that it is all rubber seals now regardless of original specs.

Edited again to add details of what happened after repair. Editing stops it going to the top of the forum again, just for information if anyone else has these problems -
After fitting the new seal and running the engine the front still sank when getting in for the first time. After a short run the ride height was about 1cm+ higher than normal. This is the old 3 fingers at the front test, in this case 4 fingers from tyre to wheel arch. This also included 'citrobics' sessions. At this point the front was quite firm.
After about 30 miles it has now settled back to normal ride height and front does not sink much when getting in. So took a while and a couple of cirobics sessions to sort it out but has now returned to normal, hopefully better now there are no leaks.
I fyou have the same problems then hopefully this will show what you can expect to happen.
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives