Xantia drop link nuts ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

uncle buck
My Cars:

Re: Xantia drop link nuts ?

Post by uncle buck »

Here's a tip for you if you're replacing the drop link,

use a blow lamp on the back side of the ball joint part of the drop link, this melts the plastic cup that the ball sits in and then you can pull the rod off the ball joint, this leaves just the metal ball in place. Use a pair of stilsons on the ball to hold it and you can then remove the nut easily either with a ratchet or windy gun.

I've used this method a few times, I find it easier than getting the grinder out and showering myself with sparks.

Cheers.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

RichardW wrote:Grinder, cutting discs, power supply, ramps, drive to work on, MIG, + tea supply at mine if you need it in the future :-D
Thanks Richard.

Somehow I seem to think I can tackle these things on my own with limited facilities, then get myself into trouble, but nearly always manage to scrape my way through to success! It amazes me sometimes just what I can manage to do when there is a deadline and I'm desperate to get the job finished as failure is not an option. After all I'm a computer/electronics geek not a mechanic. :lol:
Last edited by Mandrake on 10 Aug 2012, 22:32, edited 2 times in total.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

uncle buck wrote:Here's a tip for you if you're replacing the drop link,

use a blow lamp on the back side of the ball joint part of the drop link, this melts the plastic cup that the ball sits in and then you can pull the rod off the ball joint, this leaves just the metal ball in place. Use a pair of stilsons on the ball to hold it and you can then remove the nut easily either with a ratchet or windy gun.

I've used this method a few times, I find it easier than getting the grinder out and showering myself with sparks.

Cheers.
Good tip. Interesting thing is the old drop links had the plastic back you refer to (Citroen originals I think!) but the Lemforder replacements have a steel cup on the back of the top joint.

What I did on one of the top nuts that wouldn't let go was to use a ball joint splitter to clamp the back of the ball joint solidly to the tab on the strut, then use a small gas torch to heat the nut and managed to undo it with a socket that way! The other top one I had to hacksaw, but that only took about 15 minutes as it was just through the bolt thread as I had got the nut mostly undone before the centre hex stripped. The bottom one that I had to hacksaw was through the nut as well as I couldn't budge the nut, that one took about 2 hours. :cry:

At least the weather was beautiful and sunny throughout the job. I was so tired from 2 hours of hacksawing on top of all the other work I nearly fell asleep in the sun on the ground, luckily I didn't or I would have run out of time to finish the job! :lol:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

Mandrake wrote:Good tip. Interesting thing is the old drop links had the plastic back you refer to (Citroen originals I think!) but the Lemforder replacements have a steel cup on the back of the top joint.
Even if it has a a metal cover on the back there will be plastic inside that will melt allowing the cup to be pulled from the ball.

Cheers.
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
Foggyoutcome

Post by Foggyoutcome »

I just put I couple of cuts in the nut using the grinder and away it came with a spanner.
I've never done this job before but I replaced both front drop links in about half an hour.
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

To stop future problems of nut removal cover the threads of the new drop link with a good coating of grease or wax oil, this will stop them rusting, so you can remove them easily when the time comes.

Cheers.
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hello all,

I had to do the drop links on my Xantia S2, and I thought it would be easy, as I had done this before without any problems on my previous S2. Boy was I WRONG! #-o ! Both of them had a nut that was seized, and when they did move, they only got halfway down the stem before locking up (despite me wire brushing them and using WD40 before I started work!) :x . Once I had got them that far there was no going back, but I was stuffed, as I do not have either an angle grinder or a blowtorch. I started to think the problem through, and came up with an idea that worked this time for me :idea: . I was fortunate that I had space for it to work

Remove the gaiter from the relevant stem. Clamp a mole grip onto the gaiter mounting point on the stem (make sure it is tight). Now, with luck [-o< [-o< [-o< you should be able to remove that pesky locknut.

I hope that this is of use.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!