When do you replace your tyres?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Re: When do you replace your tyres?

Post by Citroenmad »

Rattiva_Mike wrote:
Citroenmad wrote:
I don't mind cheapy tyres, so long as you do a bit of homework and find some decent ones. As I say, im extremely happy with the Matador MP44s I fitted to my XM, they are very good.
185/65/15s in the Matador MP44 are £55 fitted per corner for Bertie. Worth a punt? £222.40 for 4, fully fitted from mytyres.co.uk.

Worth a punt? It's not as though my missus scrapes the door handles or gets the tail out much..
I see the Matadors are £47 and the Toyo CF-1s are £53 for your Berlingo on Oponeo tyres, delivered. £24 saving on them.

I like them, they seem pretty well made and look ok too. They even have numbers in the tread which appear as the tread wears, stating an approx. tread depth remaining, which is pretty neat. They seem to suit the XM well, dry grip seems very good and wet grip has been impressive. Even in the torrential rain when I was in Wales it never faultered, even when driving reasonably quickly round the 'Evo Triangle' on very damp roads. There is a video lurking somewhere :lol:

Id recommend them, especially for the money. They are a part of Continental and so the quality is pretty good. I would hope they wear well too. Ive not had Toyo CF-1s on an XM so can't compare directly, however these seem to grip just as well in the wet, if not better.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

Does differnt make of tyers on each wheel. Will affect the handling performance. Then just having 1 make of tyer for the car.
Mines got conternectla perillie micherline and some other make groopier
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

I would have thought it would make some difference having four different brands. I keep to having the same on all corners, when I got the car someone had just fitted a couple of unknown budgets they were soon changed and binned.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Well, we shall soon find out. I am having four Matador MP44s @£48 each (fitting/balancing/disposal included) from my local tyre place stuck on the Berlingo tomorrow..
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Im, sure you will get along fine with them Mike but let us know what you think :)
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Citroenmad wrote:Im, sure you will get along fine with them Mike but let us know what you think :)
Well, I turned up at the tyre place at lunchtime, and somewhat amazingly was on my way with 4 new boots fitted 20 mins later. One of the old tyres had a crack all the way round between the tread blocks and two nails right through it - it was a Michelin with about 4mm tread left and a perished wall. The two fronts were both different with about 4mm on one and 3mm on the other. One rear was fine but only had about 4.5mm on it according to my gauge.

Once I'd got home, checked the pressures with a proper gauge, and put them right, the impressions of the tyre have been pretty good. Much quieter at the rear than the Michelins that were on it and the ride seems better. Grip and handling seem better, sharper turn in. They were ok in the wet but there was some traffic about so I didn't get the chance to really see what happened on a few of my "tyre test" corners. For £48 a corner, they seem very good value.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Go easy on the tyre testing until they are scrubbed in!
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Im glad your pleased with them Mike, I am with mine, very good value for money. Wet grip is really what I look for in a tyre, I don't care if a tyre only lasts 5K, so long as its good in the wet :lol: I do find these Matadors fairly good in bad weather, ive done 3,000 miles on with them on the front of my XM and they still look like new.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10