Looking for tools whats best?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Re: Looking for tools whats best?

Post by JohnD »

HDI wrote: Avoid Teng like the plague,
The only Teng tool I've got is a 3/4" drive, 34 inch torque wrench and I've been very impressed with that.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

My son was after a torque wrench for his mbike. It was his birthday last week so I thought I would get him one.
Asked a lad at work who has tools by every imaginable maker and he had bought a kit of Teng tools over the weekend. He also has a friend with an Halfords card who works next door to Halfords so I thought she could pick one up from there, but no response to texts (she can't respond on the shop floor).
So went (the scenic rout) to M&S to get one. Also replaced a broken ratchet from my set.

My car was supplied originally by M&S, is insured through M&S and bought the tools from there. Only the insurance is Marks & Spencer :)

I haven't opened the torque wrench so can't vouch for it but the 3/8" ratchet seems fine although it was almost as much as the torque wrench.
Had I not just driven 50 miles to a destination 8 miles from where I set off I might have been a bit more alert and bought a full kit for the same price :( (£35 +VAT).
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

my 2 main socket sets are both halfords ones, the 1/2" one i was given on my 18th by the girlfriends parents at the time, its a simple 10-20mm set with an extension ad a plug socket, my Brother broke the 19mm by doing as has been mentioned above undoing a stubborn wheel, and i lost the 16mm inside the rear subframe on the wife's car, but otherwise its lasted 17 years of my heavy handed abuse absolutely fine, even the case is still useable!!
the other is the 1/4" & 3/8 "drive set that my brother gave me for my 22nd birthday, All the sockets still going strong, the ratchet too, ive a couple of halfords spanners too inc a very much used 13mm ratchet one, a set of allen sockets etc. generally seems the tools they have own branded are very good, IMO of course, ideal for the home occasional tinkerer!!

have also a Surplus tool shop down the road that has All manner of tools, from 4mm - Truck hub nut sockets!! :-D spanners i can just about lift hahahha! handy for the odds and ends!!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Odd thing I spotted on the torque wrench box was Swedish labelling and presumed a distribution centre in Sweden.
Turns out they are Swedish and made in Alingsås, just a few miles away from where I lived.
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

My local motor factors supply 'Teng' tools as a matter of course. They are not that cheap but they do come with a lifetime warranty. If something breaks it will be replaced by the shop, no quibbling, so they say.
I've not managed to break any yet, to test this, in the 20 yrs I've been aquiring them as needed to cover breakages and losses.
I'm no expert but they're good quality in my opinion.
Cheers
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)