C6 gone..no great surprise?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Northern_Mike

Re: C6 gone..no great surprise?

Post by Northern_Mike »

Deanxm wrote:Some of the stuff that wins car of the year is rubbish though, i mean the Mondeo, please Luke its a tool and i know i recently had a very nice one, it doesnt do anything special or interesting its bland basic and cheap motoring and it feels like it why on earth would a car like that get an award
Well, apart from the ride quality, it's better than a Xantia in just about every way.. I've had two Mondeos MK1s and a MK2. They handle very, very well indeed, much better than any Xantia other than an Activa. The 1.8 Zetec motor is a gem in both the Mondeo and Focus, it's powerful, light and revvy without being too thirsty. It's also very reliable.

I agree that a lot of tat has won the COTY award, but lets have some sense and not just "Citroens are better than everything"... because they aren't. More interesting, perhaps, but not better..
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Well, apart from the ride quality, it's better than a Xantia in just about every way..
........no, not even as good as the Activa although there is less road noise in the mondeo which is always the downside of hydraulic cits, that suspension does transmit more noise than the average car, the mondeo is alright but what does it do that anything else doesnt, its just a cheap family car. what about Mercs? mercedes had done an awefull lot for the car industry with some massive leaps forward wih some exellent cars and how many times have they won? it is weird.

Anyway you didnt strike me as a Mondeo man Mike :lol:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

OK, maybe the modern Mondeos are a bit of a white good, but the proper mark one (K, L, M reg) had character. The interior was excellent, everything was really well thought out, Ford spent some massive amount of money on the research and development and it showed at the time. No Mondeo was without an airbag, I remember that being the big thing! It's one of my all time favourite cars :oops:

But yes, the character has just gradually disappeared to the near Toyota Avensis level that it is now.

And don't suggest that it's always rubbish that wins car of the year... the Mégane II was COTY 2003 :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-[
French is best.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Deanxm wrote:
Well, apart from the ride quality, it's better than a Xantia in just about every way..
........no, not even as good as the Activa although there is less road noise in the mondeo which is always the downside of hydraulic cits, that suspension does transmit more noise than the average car, the mondeo is alright but what does it do that anything else doesnt, its just a cheap family car. what about Mercs? mercedes had done an awefull lot for the car industry with some massive leaps forward wih some exellent cars and how many times have they won? it is weird.

Anyway you didnt strike me as a Mondeo man Mike :lol:

D
I think the award seems to take value for money into account, as much as innovation -though the Mondeo MK1 was a massive leap over the Sierra it replaced. They really do handle well , but anything under a 1.8 is underpowered, and I don't like the later ones. For me, the driving position was good, the ergonomics were very good, and my first one we took from 12k when we bought it, to 144k in 6 years with nothing other than routine servicing and consumables. It was my wife's car/our "sensible" car, while I ran all sorts of other tat as entertainment cars - 2CVs, Capri 2.8s, Saab 900 Turbos etc.

I'm not a Mondeo man, but I know a decent car when I see one. I like Focuses too, but the ride in the Zetec is a bit hard for me. I like Alfa 33 1.7s, but they are Sh1te really..
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Focus isnt a bad car at all, that one i do like actualy, not a bad thing to say about it, it has a better quality feel to it and is a nice drive, so many cars, so little time................

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Deanxm wrote:Focus isnt a bad car at all, that one i do like actualy, not a bad thing to say about it, it has a better quality feel to it and is a nice drive, so many cars, so little time................

D
Tell me about it, I've had 127 at the last count... still haven't found one that does everything I want either! I want the ride of a CX, the reliability of a Honda, the grip and pace of a 90s Impreza WRX, the hilarity of a TVR Griffith 500 and the practicality of an XM estate, with late 80s BMW Ergonomics..
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

give me a pm when you find it, let me know who makes it :lol:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

A 405 break on the early Mi16×4 platform, ought to cover quite a lot of that design brief.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re:

Post by DickieG »

addo wrote:A 405 break on the early Mi16×4 platform, ought to cover quite a lot of that design brief.
But Mike's looking for a car that works.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I've had little drama with "Paris" other than genuine age/mileage issues. Now aged 22, she's proving cheaper long term, than the Xantia.