French cars - Failing MOTs

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Napoleon
My Cars:

Re: French cars - Failing MOTs

Post by Napoleon »

I can't stand up in mine, let alone walk 'round it.
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2
1996 N679 Xantia TD VSX estate - sold August 2012
1995 M289 Xantia TD SX hatch - sold March 2012

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Yes, and at least a cursory glance under it.

In daylight I also attempt to view the ground over which it was parked, as I move off.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

DickieG wrote:
CitroJim wrote:But yes, It beggars belief that a person can be fully qualified to drive and yet know diddly-squat about how the car works or the basics of maintaining it.
As part of the practical driving test candidates are asked two questions prior to driving relating to vehicle maintenance, it's called the "show and tell".
This is true, though I know for a fact it has no effect on them after they passt. They probably just learn it parrot fashion and forget it all when they have their pass. Nearly all of the young/new drivers I know have no idea about cars, checking them over for simple things like tyre pressures, oil and coolant etc. It just does not enter their head to do so. If it stops working, they will complain and possibly get it fixed.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

DickieG wrote: Now then hands up all those who do a walk round their car every time prior to driving it, come on there must be someone out there,,,,,,,,,
It depends which way round I've parked :D

I do check things like oil, coolant, tyre pressure, tread and damage regularly, but then I do a lot of miles so there's plenty of oppertunity to be walking around the car.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

I dont think the problem is with the training its with each individuals view of cars, lets face it i hope nobody gets up to give the washing machine a good look over before they put a load in it? most view cars as a tool and fix it when its broke, with the best will in the world nobody is going to check their car every day.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

There is no need to check a car every day, every couple of weeks or at worst a month would do, unless the owner knows its using oil or a tyre is going down etc. Though how would they know this without checking it? :roll:
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Sulla wrote:Clearer than my reg plate in the dark anyway :wink:
i dont see why we need lights over the rear No. plate these days on car with reflective plates :o

regards malcolm
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Citroenmad wrote: It just does not enter their head to do so. If it stops working, they will complain and possibly get it fixed.
or just get rid of it and get another

regards malcolm
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

I'm not surprised at the number of cars failing on lights. I would have thought that the mechanical ability of the average FCF member is above that of most car drivers, yet how many times have we seen posts complaining about how B....y difficult it is on some cars to change a headlight or sidelight bulb??

What chance has the man / woman in the street of changing a bulb if the front bumper has to come off or you need the dexterity of a watchmaker coupled with the strength of a gorilla?

<rant>

Manufacturers should not be allowed to get away with producing cars in which a bulb can't be changed by anyone with a bit of common sense at the roadside at night!!!!

</rant>
2007 C6 2,7 HDI exclusive 95k
2004 C5 VTR HDI 103k
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

There is also the fact that a good few cars, especially German ones, warn you of it having a blown bulb, few French cars do that.

Indeed, kind of makes the European idea of carrying spare bulbs around pointless.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

DickieG wrote: Now then hands up all those who do a walk round their car every time prior to driving it, come on there must be someone out there,,,,,,,,,
Not daily, but I do it once a week. I check the tyre pressures and oil, top up the windscreen washers and have a feel round the walls of the tyres for damage or things sticking out. I know I do it once a week because I do it when I put fuel in at Sainsbury at work - the air/water machine there is free, and I have my own pressure gauge.
One of the rears on the Berlingo loses pressure slowly. I just want it to wear out a little more before I change it. I can't find any damage to the tyre, I guess it must be leaking slightly at the rim.

I used to check the lights daily in winter, as driving to work at 6:30am and returning at 7:30pm meant it was always dark, and the roads I use are all unlit. It was startlingly obvious when a headlight bulb was out on the Blingo..
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I usually check mine every two weeks for tyre pressure, tyre condition, oil, coolant, washer fluid and a general cheack around for any leaks, blown bulbs etc. Trouble is I have all of the other cars to check too, it can take me a good while :lol:
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Citroenmad wrote:There is also the fact that a good few cars, especially German ones, warn you of it having a blown bulb, few French cars do that.
My S1 XM used to warn me of blown bulbs. It was so good, it did it when there were no blown bulbs..
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Activa_Mike wrote: My S1 XM used to warn me of blown bulbs. It was so good, it did it when there were no blown bulbs..
:rofl:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

ive got that on my xm, it only likes expensive bulbs, cheap ones give you warning messages and i cant for the life of me work out why, bloody expensive taste that cars got.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............