C5 window regulator

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Napoleon
My Cars:

Re: C5 window regulator

Post by Napoleon »

Luck it's an easy fix (relatively), if you do it on your own.

Ask fifth_cit for the ebay link to the seller of the cables. Under £30 I think.

Bring it to me, and I'll do it for £300. :-D
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2
1996 N679 Xantia TD VSX estate - sold August 2012
1995 M289 Xantia TD SX hatch - sold March 2012

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
fifth_cit
My Cars:

Post by fifth_cit »

I do hope you haven't paid that sort of money for the repair, the dealers will want to replace the motor and struts along with the cables and it WILL only be one cable that has rusted and snapped. I have done both of mine now and it's cost less than £40 for the parts.

The first one did take me quite a while but the second one took me about 3 hours.

If you haven't had them done already I would be happy to talk you through the job and send you some pics for reference.

Keith
C5 III Tourer 2.0HDi SX
Previous Citroens:-
05 C5 Facelift VTR 2.0Hdi
03 C5 LX 2.0Hdi
51 C5 LX 2.0Hdi
96 Xantia LX TD
citwrong

Post by citwrong »

The same thing happened to me on my '58 C5 tourer. I paid a garage £228 for the front passenger side. Then yesterday the drivers side went.

One thing I was wondering was whether Citroen should be putting this right even out of warranty. It seems like a design fault to me, not normal wear and tear. After all, cables should not corrode in an area that is not designed to stay dry, they should be using materials that can withstand the conditions.
Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

... or at the very least well lubricated. Mine was completely dry from why I could see.
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
whatdoesthisbuttondo

Post by whatdoesthisbuttondo »

Add mine to the list as well!
Driving into work this morning I lowered the window to swipe in and heard the crunch as I pressed to raise it. A few attempts and its closed now (its peeing it down and Im in work for the next 8 hours!)
I wil trawl through here for more advice before taking the door card off tomorrow.
Any more advice/tips gratefully recieved!!
Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

Ask away!
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
whatdoesthisbuttondo

Having read a bit more, I wont take the door card off tomorrow and instead order a repair kit from here:
eBay
and then use the russian guide to do it next weekend. I might take the fuse for the window out to make sure it wont work when I forget and try to open the window (numpty)
whatdoesthisbuttondo

Well, I took it apart this weekend and changed the cables (mine was the common failure of corroded short wire at the bottom pulley), BUT they kit I bought from Ebay came with a different pulley which I needed as the original was damage when the wire wrapped around it like a snakes wedding. I think this is the only part which is 'handed'.
Does anyone have any photos which show the detail of the pulley and the cables wound around it correctly?
SO at the moment I have a window taped in place until the ebay seller sends me another cable drum before the weekend......hey ho!.....
MartsG
New User

Post by MartsG »

I read through this thread after buying the replacement kit from eBay. Just wanted to post to say thanks to all posters, managed to get it all fixed with guidance from here.

Thanks!
Martin
seasiderwarren2

Post by seasiderwarren2 »

Hi all

Just heard the cable snap on my 2009 C5 and was browsing for a fix after being quote £485 for repair by my local friendly Citroën dealer.
Sounds like this is all too common.

Found this set of instructions for repair and looks like it's worth a try

http://m.instructables.com/id/Repairing ... ic-Window/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

This sounds like a genuine case for WD40!
Would giving the cables a good spray while in good condition (or when replacing) prevent the corrosion?
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

These things look more complicated than the actually are. Get a set of the plastic levers from China on Ebay.
French car windows are Cack!
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Dear! Dear shades of the XM which had exactly the same failure scenario. Truly they really don't learn or more likely give a toss.
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I wonder how many of these things are actually designed in house, and how many are bought-in bespoke versions of suppliers' existing designs.
If the latter, the suppliers will have little interest in modifying what they've always done beyond meeting the specs they're given, and the car makers will only be interested in getting the best price, usually from the suppliers with whom they have an existing relationship.
The spec may possibly include some sort of MTBF figure, but that will be verified on a test rig, not the damp inside of a real door, for example.
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

dnsey wrote:I wonder how many of these things are actually designed in house, and how many are bought-in bespoke versions of suppliers' existing designs.
If the latter, the suppliers will have little interest in modifying what they've always done beyond meeting the specs they're given, and the car makers will only be interested in getting the best price, usually from the suppliers with whom they have an existing relationship.
The spec may possibly include some sort of MTBF figure, but that will be verified on a test rig, not the damp inside of a real door, for example.
Who / wherever they are designed I suspect there is a lot of design re-use why re-invent the wheel if the wheel in question will last four years the production issue are known and sorted minimal risk maximum return.

I have not seen a C5 mk3 window mechanism but the description sounds as though it is pretty identical to that used on the XM some twenty years ago with the same built in defect.

To make matters worse it is likely that PSA do not retain any rights over the detail design not even rights to the detail drawings and parts list so the only thing that they can put in their spares catalogue is the complete assembly. Of course the manufacturere could in theory create a parts catalogue and sell individual parts... except I would bet that PSA have a clause in their supply contract which specificall prevents their suppliers supplying direct to Joe public, basically neither party has the contractual right to sell piece parts.

It's a screwed up world in which we live.
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC